The online racing simulator
is the g25 worth it?
(37 posts, started )
is the g25 worth it?
hi,

i`m reading a lot about the g25 now and it seems that there are quite a few problems with it. i`d like to hear some general statements on whether you guys, who own one, think it`s worth the investment.

also, i`d like to know whether the pedals are compatible to the black momo wheel, which i have now. the black wheel itself i like a lot, just the pedals are crap. so if i`m spending all that cash on a g25 that might not work as expected, at least i could compensate by hooking the pedals to my black momo wheel.

thanks for any input.
#2 - ZORER
i don't think it's worth that money...
if you can afford it i would say yes buy the G25, i've never heard a bad review, if you have problems Logitech will send you a new one. i'll be holding onto my DFP for a while though. at least another year or so (hopefully).
Regarding the pedals... i'm not sure if they will work.
#4 - Jakg
DONT think you could just go for the pedals - i did and SEVERLY regret it!

From what i've read its DEFINATELY worth it, although i cant give my opinion until it turns up
Quote from sidi :i'm pretty happy with mine that i'm confident enough now to sell on my dfp/frex and brd pedals

WHAT!?!
Your nuts!
When the Frex mod for the G25 comes out then i'll change... but never before
Yeah pretty much. It is in the prize range of a medium graphics card which most gamers would purchase and it really gives a very fine experience while playing.

It truly enhances car sims if you are used to cheaper wheels. All the sims I personally like (Live for Speed, GT Legends,Rfactor, GTR1&2) are much more fun.

Especially GT Legends is completely awesome with a proper H-shifter (the feel of manually shifting an Austin Healey 3000 is incredible!) and with its superior physics engine, I bet Live for Speed will reach a new high in car simming when it gets proper clutch simulation and even without it all the low to midrange cars are awesome fun to drive now.
#7 - Gunn
The G25 is overpriced. Unfortunately you need to pay even more to get a better wheel and pedal set.
i think its definatly worth it, considering what you get.

"The G25 is overpriced. Unfortunately you need to pay even more to get a better wheel and pedal set."

You just contradicted yourself. Its at the good price point for people who can't afford to go out and buy a hardcore sim wheel, pedels and shifter.
I don't have a G25, way too expensive for a game controller. Anyways, I'd have to guess, and this is just an opinion from viewing controllers and not using them, that it is not worth it. Why? Because I have seen some absolute topnotch controllers home built by folks right here on this forum and on RSC. They are very cheaply made using gamepads and stuff, but some of them look like so much better quality than what the G25 looks like and what Logitech's reputation is.

I have seen one shifter here on the forum that I really like the design and am planning something similar. It would cost all of probably $30 to build including the gamepad, or even less since I already have 2 old gamepads I could use. Also pedals. I've seen some fantastic - pedal designs, Niel's pedals come to mind. Sure, his pedals use an expensive loadcell for the brakes, but it could be converted to a pot, and would cost very little to build. So, all you need is a wheel then, and I've seen DFP's at Walmart (in US) on clearance for $40. You'd be looking at $100 for the G25 equivelant with better pedals and far better shifter. Is the 2 motors on the G25 wheel and lower quality pedals and shifter worth $200 over what the homebuilt system with a DFP would be?

Again, this is all an opinion derived from what I see, not what I've tried.
#10 - Davo
Definately worth it. The wheel is all metal and leather, feels very good and the force feedback is strong and quick. Pedals are very sturdy and strong, they weigh a tonne. Personally not a fan of the stiff brake pedal but others like it. I never use the shifter but if you feel lie using clutch and shifter then its not too bad. Shifter has a plastic clicky sound to it, but otherwise is prety solid. For RRP its not worth it, but you'd be ntus to pay RRP when there's so many places selling it cheap.
Quote from sidi :I would say yes the G25 is worth it and i'm pretty happy with mine that i'm confident enough now to sell on my dfp/frex and brd pedals

Yeah, Sidi, Me, Jonesy, St0rm, Viper, and I think a few others from our team have bought the wheel and have noticed a big improvement in the smoothness of our driving... and we all really like the wheel. There are only small issues with it, but we aren't complaining, we are still fast with the wheel and enjoy how accurate it is -- allowing us to be pretty consistent and in control

We all don't use the shifter for shifting though... obviously because you aren't faster by using it. But we do use the shifter to hold on the headlights switch, or hold on the horn The other buttons on the shifter console are of course very useful for everything else and controlling the pit menus and telemetry displays is my favorite use for it.

A big up from me ... and I used to drive with the Red MOMO (hooking that thing up and trying to use it is a nightmare, it is a piece of crap compared to this imo).
I'm with Gunn, G25 is still overpriced, not by a large margin though, but I still consider it overpriced.

And about paying more for better wheels/pedals, those prices are what I consider as "out of this world" LOL!

G25 is a good wheel, and it's the "cheapest" you can get on the market so far with its features, so I'd recommend it too, I personally don't think it's worth it, but I'm willing to spend that money (still aches my heart whenever I think of all the money I've spent on a toy)

GO GET ONE!
@Tweak: Red Momo? That's nothing. I've told you what I used to drive. Act-Labs Force RS, the notchiest wheel EVER made (3 degrees of travel per step of input!!!), with pedals that eat springs like there's no tomorrow and pots that spike like mad. Simply put, awful. Somehow I managed to run through quite a few full-length league races in the FO8 with it (with a dirty wheel pot, no less). That said, I was fed up and was really glad my father was generous enough to get me a G25 this past December.

I've offered the Force RS to my brother (he doesn't have a wheel at all) but he doesn't even want it after using the G25.
#14 - Gunn
#15 - mr_x
is the g25 worth it?

Yes, worth every single penny.
Yup. It made racing fun again. It ruined the DFP for me though... I wanna steal my dad's G25 and use it in my room on my new rig... I miss the shifter Maybe I can convince him to let me borrow it until the cockpit is done.
of course its worth it, I only paid 239$ cad well someone else did hehe
defo worth it, it equals the price of 2 nites out on the town, only i have something to show for it rather than drink it down the toilet

not disin beer tho, i love my beer

but seriously i think it is a extremly relistic wheel and to be honest i dont think it is over priced at all, considering what u are getting
Its well worth the dosh IMO. Of course its not perfect and can be improved in a lot of area's, but its by far the best "mainstream" wheel ever released. Having PS2/maybe PS3 compatibility is a nice addition a lot of people forget as well. Enthusia + G25 = fun downhill drifting
#20 - Jakg
ZOMG it rocks!
Quote from lancergsr :defo worth it, it equals the price of 2 nites out on the town, only i have something to show for it rather than drink it down the toilet

not disin beer tho, i love my beer

but seriously i think it is a extremly relistic wheel and to be honest i dont think it is over priced at all, considering what u are getting

Good point, Ive spent that much on a single night of fun way more times than I can count.
I quite dislike the shifter, it isn't as good as I want it to be. More like a gimmick addon, but the wheel and the pedals were worth it for me
IMO, so long as you don't consider the cost a huge pile of money then it will be worth it. It helps if you used cheaper wheels before though, you'll appreciate it more. I'm well used to spending three figure sums on electronics so ordering one wasn't even considered, it just happened.

The shifter gets a lot of stick, and perhaps unfairly. If it wasn't for the click noise when changing gear being so loud (but you can mod it - at the cost of losing you warranty - and reduce it a lot) and it was a bit stiffer in operation (also moddable) it would help the unit feel more sturdy and fit in with the quality of the wheels and pedals. Those pedals still make my feet and lower legs ache.
#24 - Gunn
A two year warranty would have made me feel better about the monetary outlay. One thing I've learned about game controllers over the years is that no matter how good the manufacturer tells you the device is, it is always wise to carry some spares.
Attached images
ohwheely.jpg
Quote from Gunn :A two year warranty would have made me feel better about the monetary outlay. One thing I've learned about game controllers over the years is that no matter how good the manufacturer tells you the device is, it is always wise to carry some spares.

Lol..no wonder you think the g25 is overpriced, you bought the 2 pack...lol

is the g25 worth it?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG