The online racing simulator
5 button mouse
(11 posts, started )
5 button mouse
Hi! Im posting this after looking the answer all around the internet.

I have a MX518 logitech mouse, which has 5 "generic" buttons + 3 "special".

I wonder if there is a way to use them in LFS and how do I assign functions to them.
I'd love to use the thumb buttons for example to watch left/right...

Is there any way to do this? (without the logitech driver that sucks...)

Thanx in advance!
If Windows picks them up, then LFS should. Just go into your options and select a mouse button instead of a key.
Quote from the_angry_angel :If Windows picks them up, then LFS should. Just go into your options and select a mouse button instead of a key.

I tried that with no luck. Those buttons, in Windows, are generally used for browsing back and forward. I tried to press them in the LFS controllers options but it's like LFS does not recognize them. It doesnt react at all....
#4 - Davo
Whats wrong with the Logitech software. I have the same mouse and the software works fine, along with my Logitech Keyboard and wheel software. using the software I can make the buttons as keypresses which are assigned in LFS to whetever you want.
Quote from Davo :Whats wrong with the Logitech software. I have the same mouse and the software works fine, along with my Logitech Keyboard and wheel software. using the software I can make the buttons as keypresses which are assigned in LFS to whetever you want.

Logitech software uses too much ram, it doesn't have profiles so that I could use different button assignments for differents programs, and It doesn't work for me. Whenever I Alt-Tab and go back to the game, the assignments stop working.
I tried a soft (some sort of plugin for Setpoint) named UberOptions but It didn't work either.

Now I think I solved it with a software named "X-Mouse Button Control". It let's me assign only 5 button (instead of the 8 the mouse has) but It works. It supports profiles and It's not as heavy as Setpoint for the RAM.
I had the same problem with other games in the past. (I have a mx510) You should do a search to "Logigamer" (if that program still exists)

There was an alternative to logigamer, but i forgot the name.

With logigamer you can make your computer believe that Mouse4 or mouse5 is actually "Backspace" or "Pageup" for example. LFS recognizes "PageUp", so eventually it will respond to the Mouse button!
Quote from Spacid :I had the same problem with other games in the past. (I have a mx510) You should do a search to "Logigamer" (if that program still exists)

There was an alternative to logigamer, but i forgot the name.

With logigamer you can make your computer believe that Mouse4 or mouse5 is actually "Backspace" or "Pageup" for example. LFS recognizes "PageUp", so eventually it will respond to the Mouse button!

Thanx for the info... I'll look for that.
Anyway, that is exactly what this X-Mouse Button Control does... You can bind "keyboard keys" to it, like you say. You can even bind combos (Ctrl+F4) and other Windows native functions..

I'll see if Logigamer still exists and if it is worth testing.

Thanks a lot.
Hi there,

i just got a "Trust Predator GM-4200" with 6 buttons. But i've got the same problem like the threadstarter - LFS doesn't recognize any of the buttons except the ordinary first two, ( left and right one ). I'd like to use one of the other buttons for the handbrake, as i did before with my logitech iFeel Mouseman, so is there any way? I know, I could bind a keyboard-key to one of the mousebuttons, but then i would loose the forward/backward function of that button. AND: other games ( like Far Cry, Prince of Persia etc. ) DO recognize the other buttons and let me use them, so I'd "loose" a usable button in other games ( or would have to switch that binding of the button all the time ).
Is'nt there any way to let LFS use the other buttons? Can't the devs buy such a mouse themselves and then test it and do the necessary programming?

thanks for any comments and/or help
tried joy2key?
Quote from COFzDeep :Hi there,

i just got a "Trust Predator GM-4200" with 6 buttons. But i've got the same problem like the threadstarter - LFS doesn't recognize any of the buttons except the ordinary first two, ( left and right one ). I'd like to use one of the other buttons for the handbrake, as i did before with my logitech iFeel Mouseman, so is there any way? I know, I could bind a keyboard-key to one of the mousebuttons, but then i would loose the forward/backward function of that button. AND: other games ( like Far Cry, Prince of Persia etc. ) DO recognize the other buttons and let me use them, so I'd "loose" a usable button in other games ( or would have to switch that binding of the button all the time ).
Is'nt there any way to let LFS use the other buttons? Can't the devs buy such a mouse themselves and then test it and do the necessary programming?

thanks for any comments and/or help

With X-mouse button control, you can bind keyboard-keys to a button, for a special process/application. For example, you can bind keys to lfs, but use the standard assignments for other games/windows, etc. So that you don't loose any usable button in other games..
Well, i don't need the handbrake that much, so i won't install any programm just for this one.

And by the way, that isn't the kind of solution i had in mind. I know, it's far away from being a serious problem, but on the other hand - it should be easy to programm LFS for using my ( and several other mice ) correctly.

So Devs - if you read that, you know what i expect for patch ... Z. Stage 3. At least

( Oh and, please excuse my english ( if there are any mistakes in it. If not, just ignore this one I try hard, but ... well ... blame my teacher ;P )

5 button mouse
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG