The online racing simulator
Doing the not smoking of the cigarettes
(143 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :Hey! Good for you Kev! Glad to hear you are still sticking with it. Man, I just have such a weak willpower to start the attempt to quit.

I should probably start reading this thread daily.

Maybe if you called cigarettes 'fags' it would help, When I was in California many moons ago, I got some strange looks when I said I was going to have a fag! Can't think why.
Quote from Doorman :Maybe if you called cigarettes 'fags' it would help, When I was in California many moons ago, I got some strange looks when I said I was going to have a fag! Can't think why.

In america fag=homosexual....

(Although I understand that a fag is a cigarette in other countries)
Quote from Doorman :Maybe if you called cigarettes 'fags' it would help, When I was in California many moons ago, I got some strange looks when I said I was going to have a fag! Can't think why.

Ha ha, yea. The receptionist at work is from the UK. She is always joking around about how she talks funny when we answer pages that was for someone else because we can't really hear out on the noisy production floor. I was talking to her and told her how I race on the computer with folks from the UK and how funny it is to hear them say, "I need a fag break" LOL.
good to hear ppl giving up smoking. I HATE! people puffing smoke on my face... I broke some guy's nose once for puffing on my face...
Quote from LFSn00b :Ok... illepall You mean they smoke homosexuals? Weird...

No, fag means homosexual in america.
Thread title made less ambiguous.

Anyone outside of the north call them tabs?
Quote from LFSn00b :You mean they smoke homosexuals? Weird...

Yeah, but they are really hard to light. Need to try them out in a warm dry room for a few months first (a few months after they stop banging on the door), and it's easy. Best to use a small blowlamp, as a regular lighter, or even a zippo, just isn't powerful enough.
I'm not going to read the whole thread... illepall

So maybe it has been said before...

Allen Carr wrote a book about it. I don't know the english name, in german it's "endlich nichtraucher" wich would mean something like "finally non-smoker"?

Anyway... Allen Carr. That's all you need if you really want to quit it. If that doesnt help, youre hopeless.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
"Faggot" is a log or bundle of sticks that you put on a fire for fuel, hence the relation to a burning cigarette.

In my country they also call cigarettes: durries, durbs, nails (as in coffin nails), cancer sticks and lung biscuits. Desperate smokers might fish an old butt from the ashtray, these are referred to as "dumpers".
Quote from Gunn :"Faggot" is a log or bundle of sticks that you put on a fire for fuel, hence the relation to a burning cigarette.

In my country they also call cigarettes: durries, durbs, nails (as in coffin nails), cancer sticks and lung biscuits. Desperate smokers might fish an old butt from the ashtray, these are referred to as "dumpers".

Faggots are also a foodstuff from England, balls of meat coated in breadcrumbs.
Quote from Bean0 :Faggots are also a foodstuff from England, balls of meat coated in breadcrumbs.

Where I am, that's very past-tense.. for about the same time as it's been since "gay" meant you were happy. They're not called faggots now, they're called "balls of meat, coated in breadcrumbs" where I live, these days
-
But Faggots are nothing like Haggish?
-
-
Quote from Hyperactive :A bit like kalakukko?

That is btw really good, specially when you use small fishes and suikalepaisti (what is this at english?) for meat so there is almost no fat in it. Yep, I cook some weird stuff

I have heard that when someone quits smoking, there is danger of eating more, so I'm sorry to make you want to eat something with all this talk about foods
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :No, but that sounds like something I will have to try.

Okay, well this goes quite far beyond my knownledge of english language, but I did my very best translating it, there is also trouble with different cultures having bit different ways of cooking but you can always ask if I did lost you on some place

Shell:
0,5l water
1/2 big spoons (dinner spoon?) salt
100 grams butter
~0,9l rye flour
~0,3l wheat flour

Filling:
1 kg fishes, best is, imo vendace but you can use others too
150-250 grams of meat
2-3 small spoons (tea spoon?) of salt

Mix flour and salt to cold water add butter at end make it to solid hard batter.

Bake batter to shape of disc that is 1cm thick at middle and thinner at edges.

Add very little ryu flour to middle of the disc

Lay cleaned fishes in layers with meat to middle of the disc, add little salt between them

Lift edges of the disc over filling and smoothen using water and flour shaping it to look like bit like an egg, there may be too much of batter at ends which you can cut out and use to seal 'kukko' if needed.

Put it to oven to 200-225C and keep it there until surface has got some color then take it out and wrap it to aluminum(tin?) foil.

Put it back to oven to 100-150C temp for 4 to 6 hours, when you take it out and cover it well so that shell gets soft. Some old newspapers are great for this.
It takes easily 2 hours until it is ready to eat.
It is eaten when warm/or warmed and it is quite impossible to eat this alone in less than two days and still you really have to try, fills quite well.

Say welcome to your new addiction
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :So you bake the base "disc" first, then add the fish, seal it, and bake it again?

Hmm, must be that I have used word bake wrong way there, you make it to base disc and do not put it to oven, but add fish and meat, you seal it and then you put it to oven. I guess changing first bake to make should correct it?
From personal experience, the only way to stop smoking is STOP SMOKING.

This seems (and probably is) a stupid and obvious remark, and before the flames reach my new underwear, let me explain further...

I smoked for almost 20 years, 20 to 30 cigs a day in the last few years. Just for ppl to see I was not just a casual smoker, I was very much addicted.

I thought of quiting millions of times, through the past few years, specially after I had family. But for one reason or another, I never did... oh a smoker can find so many excuses, you wouldnt belive.

The thing was for me (this I guess varies from person to person, so no golden rule) the habit of smoking was very attached to certain circumstances or rutines, it was automatic if you want. Bathroon, after a meal, after sex, with a drink, after sports (watching them on TV!), driving, waiting, etc ...each one of us has its own list.

So once I realized this, I tried to break those patterns by doing something else, like chewing gum (said before ...really works!), have a coke (from some reason coke worked for me), drink a lot of water, or eat a fruit.

Now, the decision of not smoking was terrfying, I smoked all my adult life, and couldnt picture myself without my "partner", so I did it one day at the time, one hour at the time, one minute at the time ...the fear of making a long term statemtn of not smoking is too severe, start by saying, "ok, I wont smoke this one, will wait 10 minutes" ...knowing that in ten minutes you "can" have it easy the carvings alot more than if you think you wont be able to do it again.

I used to do that every time I wanted a smoke, not this minute, later it was not this hour, not today and suddenly ...1.5 years without a smoke Knowing that you cant is the worst so dont stress yourself, make small comittments to yourself, and go with them, put together all of them make a HUGE commitment.

My tip ...sure there are 1001 others.
-
=( (CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : [useless]
The only way to do it is just stop. Forget gum and patches...no point giving up nicotine only to replace it with more nicotine.
I smoked cigarettes and weed for 22 years, and in Feb this year i just stopped one day and never did it again.
Sure, the first few days are pretty shitty, but after that it gets very easy. If ever i got cravings i would make a cup of tea or get something to eat and by the time I'd done that the cravings were gone.

Unfortunately, seeing my Dad drop dead in front of me, aged 56, of a heart attack caused by clogged arteries due to smoking, probably gave me extra motivation.

I'll defend anyone's right to smoke, I'm not one of those anti-smokers now I've given up...but why on earth you would(or i did) want to spend a lot of money poisoning yourself and virtually guaranteeing an early death i dont know.

Don't believe the hype....Giving up isn't that difficult. All you have to do is be mentally strong for a few days and you can crack it.

Good luck
why do u guys even start smoking? to be in "da gang" , lol i'll never smoke, those dirty cancersticks bah! and i cost allot of money, u could buy allot of licences with the smokemoney
Quote from Scrabby :why do u guys even start smoking?

Why does anyone try anything? It's usually one of two reasons...Peer pressure or curiosity.

Quote from Scrabby :lol i'll never smoke

Hehe, the words spoken by millions of now smoking people
Quote from The Moose :
Hehe, the words spoken by a millions of now smoking people

Hehe, exactly, half of my friends started smoking in school, the other half started after...

At least the ones that started in school have the excuse of the peer pressure!
no i really won't smoke, whats the point of it? some stupid stick with tabak stuffed in (smtimes smthn else combined with tabak) and light it up, how stupid is that plus its to expensive, ill rather buy a pack of candy and eat em while its yummy then smoking something is eeeew
Quote from Scrabby :no i really won't smoke, whats the point of it? some stupid stick with tabak stuffed in (smtimes smthn else combined with tabak) and light it up, how stupid is that plus its to expensive

Whilst that's great, and i hope you don't ever smoke..I and everybody i know who smokes/did smoke said exactly the same thing

Quote from Scrabby :smoking something is eeeew

Just like drinking Beer/Whisky/whatever was 'eeeewww' when i first tried it,
and taking drugs is 'Stupid'...yet huge amounts of people end up doing it and enjoying it. Humans are funny creatures

Doing the not smoking of the cigarettes
(143 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG