The online racing simulator
A Case that wont break the bank
(17 posts, started )
#2 - Jakg
tried x-case? they aren't the cheapest, but are GREAT for cases, used them a few times, and liked the service, got a huge range

Why dont you like the doors? they tend to make your PC a bit quieter!

Do you need a new PSU as well?
I'll have a look, Thanks.

Metal doors would be ok I just dont like the look or feel of a big plastic door that you have to open everytime you want to put in a DVD in or plug in a USB device. Plastic is really tacky, smaller panels would be nice.

Actually I have seen a nice Mesh case with a metal door. I already have a PSU.
#4 - Jakg
who said it has to be plastic? and how many doors cover the USB ports?

i used to be the same as you, i got given a Coolermaster Wavemaster for free and love it, i thought i would hate a door, but it only takes 0.6 secs to open it (i didn't just time myself), and i still have to go and press "Eject" EVERY time i want to put in a CD!
A lot of cases that have doors have the 1st drive uncovered so you can get to the first drive without opening it, or for putting in fan controls etc. The case on my other box is like that.
I don't think its that he doesn't want doors, he just doesn't want plastic doors. My guess is that he wants an all-metal case.
Antec SLK3000 is pretty solid, thick steel, options for 120mm fans and rubber grommet HD mounting.. A steel case that is quite a steal.. hohoho :P
Thermaltake Tsunami is a decent case, it's the one I use for my main rig. Everything is aluminium except the front bezel behind the door and the cover for the USB/audio ports, which are plastic.

Cooling is pretty good, as well. It typically keeps it just a few degrees over ambient room temperature. Even my powerful X2 and x1950 rig is fine in it. You could keep any system fairly cool in it.
Don't be mistaken: aluminium cases are worse than steel. They are often not thicker than steel cases which makes them less sturdy, more rattly and aluminium doesn't cool better than steel in a pc case where there are no objects in direct touch with the outer casing.. Harddisks for example tend to make aluminium cases rattle a lot easier than a steel case; especially if the steel case has soft rubber gromets supplied with it to mount the harddisks

Depends on if noise is an issue of course..
All depends on how the case is designed, for example some new Lian-Li cases are made specifically to be quiet and they're aluminium.

Even on a cheaper level, the Tsunami still has rubber grommets to isolate the HDDs, I happen to know they work well. I never hear any vibrations from the HDDs, just their normal operating noises.

I will say that aluminium isn't as tough as steel and it does bend easier, as well. But for consumers and home users, I can't see that being much of an issue. They're not stacking 70lb+ servers on top of each other. I could go on and be really anal about it, but the fact of the matter is this, aluminium is a fine metal to make cases from, for most people.
I think i'm gona go for either a Coolermaster or a Thermaltake case

depends on stock at local puter shop
I got the Coolermaster Centurion 534. It's a steel case with black steel covers and the option of a plain silver or black aluminum front bezel. You can also get it with a 430W PSU. Here in the US it's going for about $75 with the PSU.
I would recommned Antec P180B case. I have one for some time now and am very happy, case like this would probably last quite a few upgrades. All the fans are 120mm so it is very very quite.
Quote from Jakg : i got given a Coolermaster Wavemaster for free and love it, D!

Someone gave you a 100pound case for nothing??!
#16 - Jakg
its closer to £67, and i got given it because my Dad went back to a Desktop case (A rather nice Viano), and couldn't find anywhere to get rid of this huge case, i had it, its still too small for me (i have tons of space, and the bigger the case the easier it is to work on), but i can live with it

I've also been given two sticks of Team Xtreem RAM for free, inc postage by a (VERY kind) member of Overclock.net, all the way from America. I love presents!
wow how did you swing that?

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG