The online racing simulator
Pit Box Skins.
(60 posts, started )
Is there a such thing as a useful post anymore?
More skins is always a great idea!
+ [enter number here]

Good idea. Would be fun.
++1
Personally I like the idea of maybe a customisable banner in your pit lane. Obviously like the skins you'd have the option to disable the downloads.

But I think it'd work just as well if you just had the driver name somewhere on the pit box. That'd show you where you needed to be if you couldn't remember the number and wouldn't require any extra downloads.
#56 - aoun
+1

I dont think we need it, but im a designer, so ofcourse i would want this big time!!!! the more things i can customize via photoshop the more i enjoy the looks side of this game .
Quote from Cue-Ball :Hence, why I suggested being able to pick color schemes. My idea would have 3-5 driver suit "layouts", each of which can be colored with any two colors. For instance, you might have one suit with a primary color top and secondary color bottom, one suit that's all primary color but with secondary colored stripes down the sleeves and pant legs, one suit that's primary color with secondary color sleeves and belt line, etc. Five of these options combined with the nearly infinite color choices would give a TON of different looks but wouldn't require any downloading, wouldn't require any drive space, and wouldn't require any skinning by the user (some of us can't skin worth a damn or don't have the time/desire to). Each skin could still have an overlay with badges, sponsors, etc that would stay on the client machine similar to the way driver skins work now (you can see changes but everyone else isn't forced to download them).

Yep, and that is a great idea, too. The suit colours would need to be seperate from the car colour sliders though; those using skins will usually have the sliders all to the white extrmes, while their suits wouldn't be (unless they wanted an all white suit, i suppose.)

Maybe having the ability to modify those suit layouts, client-side, would be neat. Possibly just a dds file. The standard file has the primary colour, and alpha channel determines the location of the secondary colour. (I believe this is roughly how Dawn of War does it, but I'm not completely certain.)
+1 - Good idea. I like the original idea of a pit garage per player too.

Also- going off one one now but if someone goes to pit via the menu, it would be cool if you could see their car in their garage. Likewise, driving into the garage should be a way of going to the pit menu to adjust settings, if there ever was a server block option on jumping straight to the pits. Basically a realtime pit menu that's activated as and when your car is within the walls of the garage allocated to you. Rather than being ripped out the game and pushed into a cold 2D screen.
Quote from MAGGOT :Maybe having the ability to modify those suit layouts, client-side, would be neat. Possibly just a dds file. The standard file has the primary colour, and alpha channel determines the location of the secondary colour. (I believe this is roughly how Dawn of War does it, but I'm not completely certain.)

My biggest worry about being able to modify things on the client side is that they need to get sent to everyone else. I was trying to think of a way to get a lot of customization without having to upload anything to the master server and without all the other clients having to download anything. The idea above is the best I could come up with that allows a ton of customization and variety with no bandwidth requirements (well, okay, a few bytes per client). If LFS were to add custom pit boxes or custom driver suits that operate similar to the way skins do now, I would turn them off. But with a color based system you get 80% of the payoff with 0% of the bandwidth or disk space usage.
By clientside, I meant we could simply edit them ourselves, but not upload them. Just like the driver suits now, only utilizing the nifty colour adjusters you're mentioning.

Pit Box Skins.
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG