The online racing simulator
Anyone else had sound problems since patch V? ***SOLVED!***
Hi,

I've had a sound problem since installing the patch. I have a weird noise inducing a freeze on my screen at random times. It happens in the menu, while racing, any time LFS is running. (The only close way to describe it is it's like the noise the agents make in the matrix when they appear, kind of a distorted dial up noise). I've tried downloading and installing the new client from scratch instead of just patching but it does the same thing. Nothing has changed on my system between version U and V, and I have no sound problems in any other games or programs. When the sound distorts other racers report me jumping all over the track as if I'm lagging, and teamspeak (I use this prog to communicate with my friends while racing) distorts in the same way.

Can anyone help please as it's making LFS unplayable for me right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

J.
#2 - Slopi
I've had similar issues but haven't found a way to fix it. Seems to occur most often at the start of a race, right after the track loads, but is not restricted to that time frame. Several times (sucks when mid-drift) the screen sort of 'locks up' and the sound distorts for a second or so, then everything is back to normal. It honestly sounds like a program crash about to happen, but it never does.

Either way, it's rather frustrating.
Similar problem here, its as if LFS gets in a sound loop and hangs the machine. If i wait for 20 or 30 seconds it sometimes comes out of the loop but once its done it, it will always do it again and again until i do a total system restart.

I notice it happens if i use a window more often than if i use full screen.
#5 - Absy
the sound issue i have since this patch is that EVEYTHING is really bassy it sucks even when i have my sub turned off.
No, it's the same as what Slopi is describing, nothing like your problem I'm afraid. It doesn't crash it just hangs while the sound distorts and then you've skipped forward (normally into a wall or another racer). The sound distortion happens in the menus as well as racing. It makes racing totally unplayable.

Can anyone help us solve this problem? I absolutely hate it when patches are released and break something that was otherwise working fine! So frustrating!

I understand things needed fixing, and I support LFS, so can Slopi and I please get some help or advice so we can fix this and continue enjoying LFS like we were with version U?
#7 - Slopi
Hey neighbor! St. Pete huh? Welcome to LFS

I'll give that update a try when I got time to reboot lol. Thanks for the link though.
Yup, after reading the direct x issue in another couple of threads I gave it a go and voila! problem solved

Thanks to everyone who suggested this fix.
update - it fixed it for about 30 mins now its doing the same thing again! aaaargh!
cool, thanks for the link, let me know how you get on will ya? not gonna get a chance to try it out for a couple of days.

hopefully this will fix it
yup, played for hours without a problem. Fantastic! Thanks to you sir and everyone else

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG