The online racing simulator
OK I really need some g25 help (still not working properly)
I've had my g25 for a few months now and I can't help but feel its not working properly. Here's why:

If I install the "Profiler" that comes with the G25 in the box it (the wheel) goes nuts in LFS while going in a straight line or at slow speeds. By nuts, I mean heavy full FFB girations from left to right, about 45 degrees or so. If I put steering input to it in either directions I get FFB, but no rediculous girations that shake the desk apart, unlike going down a straight or slow in the pits

If I uninstall profiler I get two possible scenarios:
1. The wheel acts as normal, but the FFB seems to be only on the return movement (turn left, and if the car slides and you add right input you get FFB only on the right input)

2. You get true FFB (though not as much as with Profiler), but the wheel movement is so exagerated that a slight movement in either direction is like turning the full 900 (or whatever lock the car is capable of...i know nothing right now supports the full 900)

Its driving me up the wall. I paid a ton of money for this thing and I cant seem to be able to make it work right.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Installed profiler when I got the unit, before plugging it in the USB port
- Uninstalled profiler, used unit this way, with 1/2 FFB working
- Tried to use with Profiler (both off the CD that it came with, and the download from Logitech thinking mine might be corrupt). In this situation the wheel is almost unusable as it slams back and forth so hard while going slow/straight
- Removed via device manager while plugged in (uninstalled the actual device) then reinstalled
- Fooled around with every setting I can find in both the game and the Game Controllers option within Windows Control Panel, and the Profiler software itself

I do have a wireless Logitech Dinovo keyboard that has a USB reciever. Is this a possible cause? I can't see how it would be, but then again who knows.
Please help a fellow racer with a serious issue before he looses his mind and tosses his completely good G25 because of a software "issue"

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

-Justin
turn ur force off m8
Not really the answer I was looking for. I paid a ton of money for this thing, I'm gonna use FFB one way or another
Can you try it with another sim, so you can see if it's a problem with the wheel generally, or if it's just an LFS issue??
Turn centering spring down to 0% but keep the option checked (in windows properties for the controller)... or uncheck the option, you don't want centering spring at all basically, LFS does the centering for you with its steering physics.

If that doesn't help, then also make sure you have your Wheel Turn Compensation in LFS turned up to a higher amount (if really low).
#6 - bbman
I'd say turn the centering spring off completely, as it made the same oscillations as my old R440 with the spring on, and it's not needed in LfS anyway...
do you have any servicepack installed for windows? (1 or 2) usb 2.0 only works with sp1+ which might be a reason. Also, do you already tried other games? If this situation will not change, send it back and you will receive a brand new wheel for sure. (depends on the fact that you are not responsible for the damage)

With my first G25 i wasnt able to calibrate the steering axis anymore and the second wheel refused to give me the reverse gear. I wonder whats with the next one ill get in a week or so
Wow, so many threads and problems with the g25....I think I'll grab my from a store rather than online if its gonna be such a crap shoot.
#9 - SamH
Quote from turbo4door :Not really the answer I was looking for. I paid a ton of money for this thing, I'm gonna use FFB one way or another

If I'm reading you right, then I had this problem with an older Logitech wheel. There is a hardware problem with your wheel. For me, uninstalling the profiler was a temporary solution but not long-term. For some reason, the profiler doubled up the FFB on my wheel.. the wheel turned slightly from top dead centre, and then spent the rest of the night trying to position the wheel back to where it should be.. constantly overshooting. A loose component somewhere between the component that's reporting the wheel's rotation and the wheel/shaft itself was the cause. If it's under warranty (and of course it is), return it. Simple as that. It's a hardware fault.

AFAIK, you don't have a need for the profiler with the G25. You can set key assignments in LFS, and LFS is geared up to use the G25. Standard device drivers are sufficient to talk to the G25 without the profiler software being loaded.
Quote from Tweaker :Turn centering spring down to 0% but keep the option checked (in windows properties for the controller)... or uncheck the option, you don't want centering spring at all basically, LFS does the centering for you with its steering physics.

If that doesn't help, then also make sure you have your Wheel Turn Compensation in LFS turned up to a higher amount (if really low).

gonna try this when I get home.

Also, I didn't realise the G25 was usb 2.0 capable, that may also be an issue, my current system doesn't support 2.0

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go and report back
Nah, the USB 2.0 shouldn't be a problem, you can use 2.0 devices on old USB systems just fine. The only thing that is affected is the data rate transfer for devices like USB flash drives or anything for transferring data at higher speeds in USB 2.0. All you really need for the wheel is inputs sent back and forth, and having USB 2.0 wont really help.

I'm not using my G25 with a USB 2.0 computer, works fine
Ok thats what I figured. I thought it would only affect data rates. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gonna try the center spring suggestion and see what happens
If the problem is in all games, RMA it and get a new one. Could be a faulty motor or a loose optical sensor or something.
OK just got home from work. I checked center spring settings in both the logi profiler software and the game controller setup in the control panel of windows. Neither were set for center spring, both were unchecked

I dont have another sim to verify this with, thats the bad part. I'm an lfs whore, i dont bother with the other crap
uploading some vids to show you all the problem in a bit more detail

sorry, having to use rapidshare :/
Ok, I downloaded GTR2 demo real quick and it doesnt seem to do it there, just in LFS

here is a rapidshare vid (.avi file) of what happens with the logitech profiler enabled. As you can see, it nearly shakes my beer of the desk

http://rapidshare.com/files/9478518/MOV-0001.avi.html
These are my settings for both the wheel and in LFS:

Also, when the wheel is plugged in, make sure you turn the wheel lock-to-lock before using it. This usually helps with calibration or whatever....

One question though, are you positive that the wheel is turning the correct amount of degrees? If it isn't then you haven't let it self-calibrate properly (when it spins on its own).
Attached images
g25_control screen_tweak.jpg
lfs_controls.jpg
Quote from turbo4door :Ok, I downloaded GTR2 demo real quick and it doesnt seem to do it there, just in LFS

here is a rapidshare vid (.avi file) of what happens with the logitech profiler enabled. As you can see, it nearly shakes my beer of the desk

http://rapidshare.com/files/9478518/MOV-0001.avi.html

looks like theres something seriously wrong with your g25 ... rma it
Quote from Tweaker :These are my settings for both the wheel and in LFS:

Also, when the wheel is plugged in, make sure you turn the wheel lock-to-lock before using it. This usually helps with calibration or whatever....

One question though, are you positive that the wheel is turning the correct amount of degrees? If it isn't then you haven't let it self-calibrate properly (when it spins on its own).

yeah, it is definetly turning the full 900. When I plug it in it does the full 900 rotation then centers itself. If I look in the game controllers under control panel and turn the wheel it turns the full 900 there as well (if its set to 900 which it is). It just seems to be LFS thats giving the problem. I just upgraded to V and hoped that might fix something but its still just not working right. Also, I have LFS stored on another drive (other than where windows is installed) but I seriously doubt that would have any affect on the situation
Having LFS on a seperate drive causes no problems, I have mine on a seperate one as well.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Having LFS on a seperate drive causes no problems, I have mine on a seperate one as well.

yeah I really didnt see how that could be a problem, just throwing out everything I can think of at this point.
I have the same problem when I let go off the wheel on the straights. But this is only when the strenght is set to 110% or more in the Logitech Profiles or in the Control Panel.
Try to use lower strenght and see if you still have this problem.
My shifter doesn't work properly, LFS only recognises 4th, 5th and reverse.
It works fine in GTR2 and GTL and netKar pro.
Quote from Callous Hooper :My shifter doesn't work properly, LFS only recognises 4th, 5th and reverse.
It works fine in GTR2 and GTL and netKar pro.

If you just installed Patch V (it can reset some controls), recalibrate/reassign your controls for your shifter, and everything should be just fine....
Quote from lummz :I have the same problem when I let go off the wheel on the straights. But this is only when the strenght is set to 110% or more in the Logitech Profiles or in the Control Panel.
Try to use lower strenght and see if you still have this problem.

The video I posted above is with 25% FFB :worried:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG