The online racing simulator
Low Frame Rate please advise
(21 posts, started )
hi guys... i have currently aquired a new system which is a significant upgrade from my old computer.

Old comp specs:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU
Asus A7V33 Motherboard - AGP 4
512mb RAM
Nvidia Geforce XFX 6200 256mb RAM (AGP 8 but system only takes 4)
On-boardsound (sounds great)
(and other things that are irrelivent to this)

New system specs:
Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz Dual-Core
ASrock Motherboard - AGP 8 + PCI E
1gb RAM (DDRII)
Nvidia Geforce XFX 6200 256mb RAM (same card)
on-board HD sound

now the problem is that my frame rate in LFS quit frankly sucks. average around 10-30 FPS (with old and new pc). This however only came about in Patch V. where in patch U my frame rate was around 40-50 (with old pc).

i have all the recent graphics drivers, directx ect... however the problem is still there.

i am at the moment unable to buy a new card due to funding issues.

i have made the grahpics in LFS as "least" as possible without it looking stupid. and i still get the same frame rate.

anyone have any ideas on how i can opitimize my Nvidia Geforce XFX 6200 as i only bought it about 2 months ago.

thanks alot
dan.
yeah ive seen that... just wondering if anyone has the same card and what they have done about it.
Your card is 100% OK for LFSing, it is not a bottleneck. Guys having it can do 1280*1024 with some AA+AF IIRC.
anyone any ideas on where the problem lies? this is annoying me, and i have a masters of endurance race to attend on the 13th Jan!

thanks for the comments so far.
dan
It can be anything - overheating,especially when using default "box" CPU cooler. Maybe the dual-core CPU is an issue, try to set affinity of LFS.exe to CPU0 only in TaskManager.
have done that and still 20 fps at best... hmmmmmm

addition:

just started a race from the gid of 23..... 6 fps :'(
What about temp? Tool like this can show you if your CPU is working always on 100%
VSync doesnt have any effect on extremly low FPS, HVS is a different story - good point. Maybe re-downloading of a fresh LFS Patch V Install is worth a try.
ok guys i appreciate all the efforts here, i shall try to resolve the problem tomorrow.

thanks you all for the responces!

take care dudes.
dan
can somebody tell me what vsyc is and how i turn it off, ive been advised to do this for rfactor but dont know how. would also like to do it here if it helps
vsync stands for vertical sync.

if you turn vsync on, it will cap your frame rate at the frame rate of your monitor (usually 60hz = 60fps up to 85hz = 85fps). if you leave it off, the game will render more times than your monitor can refresh. you won't really "save" any performance, and under most circumstances it doesn't matter which one you have it set to.
Quote from Chris758 :Try reducing the detail settings and overclocking your processor.

Just a small point you left out Chris.

Never attempt to overclock your processor unless you know what you are doing and understand the risks involved.

SD.
OK, ignore my last post. From the looks of things, it's most likely an incompatibility of some sort, because the specs of your card sound more than good enough for running Live For Speed at a much higher frame rate. Have you tried "tweaking" with the settings of your video card? You could try turning certain things on or off such as anti-aliasing, VSync etc, but make sure you know what each setting actually means (sorry to be patronising).
yea ive been playing around with it. i just dont know the cause. hmmm its still lingering at a very low frame rate.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2985/fpsod6.jpg

seems my card is ok for LFS.. there must be some setting somewhere that ive missed.....
OK, I have some tips for you.

-set Z-buffer depth to 16
-enable Mip Filter
-disable Haze effect

Also goto Options>Misc and kill VSync. I know that I said it should have no effect, but as I saw it might affect framerate badly under some strange circumstances.

Did you try to check whether there is some thermal throttling occuring as I described sooner?
my frame rate went through floor recently and i discovered that i'd picked up a virus which had targeted my anti virus and disabled it which resulted in my pc going from no infections to 600+ in the space of one day, i reinstalled anti virus etc and did full scans / clean ups but still didint get frame rate up above 30 when on own on track and 10 or less in run to t1 on L1. in the end i did a reinstall of xp and lifted all my files to an external drive before re introducing them 1 at a time and my frame rates up to the old 80 - 90
cheers madcatx... ill go and try that now...
just reporting back to you that the issue has now been resolved! i messed around with the settings for a little while and nothing was any different. i then thought, well its ran fine on my old system.

so then i began to query the CPU. and low and behold it was! the CPU was overheating like a bitch. this was because the heat sink had come "unclipped" from my motherboard therefore not all the heat sink was in contact with the CPU. ive learnt that this was very dangerous and if left any longer could have damaged my CPU. i used software called speedfan in order to check the temperatures.

anyway.. now this is repaired my LFS is running at the fastest i have ever seen it run! thats at 60-100 fps!

id like to thank you guys who posted here for all your efforts. i can race the MOE 24h after all! hehe

greetz
low fps on most layouts
I'm getting 130+ fps on most tracks but as soon i load up a layout on any track (+-150 objects) it lowers my fps to around 40, sometimes even less... Is this normal? System specs on sig.
#21 - Jakg
its normal, lyt's rape your FPS as it makes extra CPU load - you know how to overclock, you've got a decent overclocking mobo (tried a 3700 in mine this morning, went from 2.2 to 3 GHz stably!)

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG