The online racing simulator
Hi there!
(19 posts, started )
Hi there!
Hi,

I just bought Live for Speed yesterday (and already a new patch today.. nice ).
Haven't really played yet, because I'm waiting for the G25 I ordered a couple of days ago.

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice, for example:

Which car is good to start driving if you're a complete newbie? (I presume to start with FWD's?)
Should I start using an automatic or start learning it the hard way with manual gearbox? (with clutch? )

Now, a really noob question:
If you want hardcore laptimes, will you driver better when manual shifting using a clutch, compared to driving an automatic? (eg. shifting automaticly happen at exact the right times?).
Ofcourse it adds realism, and much more fun eventually, but I was wondering.

Thanks in advance,

Lacroix
Welcome to the glorious world of LFS!
Starting with the XFG and UF cars will help ytou learn the tracks, then go for some more power. The FOX is great with plenty of rear wing.

I would say go straight for manual gears, a lot more control, helps you learn the tracks to get a feel for which gears to use for each corner, and you don't have to relearn from scratch when you realise auto mode is less competitive.
Hi, and welcome to LFS... Say goodbye to your regular life, because you won't be seeing it for a while

The BEST way to start is by taking the XFG out for a drive. It's front wheel drive, and slow as my grandma on a scooter, but it's the perfect car to learn carcontrol in. Then, when you're confident you can keep her on the road and keep up with the AI, you may want to go for some different type cars which are not too powerful, just to feel the difference between FWD, RWD, 4WD, etc. Do all of this on one track, like Blackwood.

Once you get to grips with the XFG and the way the G25 works for you, start learning other tracks, and get online to join in some races. Make sure you know the car and track before you join though, we don't mind slower drivers, as long as they are coming prepared.

Also, there's a list of things you should check out in the threads in this forum that are stickied at the top. They'll help you prepare yourself for everything you'll find in the world of LFS. Find some setups you feel comfortable with, and find some nice people who can help you gain speed and teach you how to race. You'll find that there are a lot of helpful people online.

But remember the most important thing you should always do while you're a part of LFS... And that is to have FUN.
I know that I made it sound like a very long process, but you'll be online and racing us in no time at all, it's easy

C ya online soon!
Welcome to LFS Lacroix

The community is fairly dang friendly here, You`ll find answers to pretty much anything you need to know. Check the LFS World, News, and Manual links at the top of the forum as well when you have the time..

If you have any problems or you think something isn`t working properly with your G25, do a quick search through the forum, ask in the right area, or PM me and I`ll try and help (I have a G25 running very nicely in patch V, and would be glad to help you out in detail if you need it.)

Just be warned. If you like this game and the feel of the moving wheel under your hands, you may never leave here again... :eclipseeh

...we also have the coolest smilies you`ve ever seen on any forum, ever.

Cheers.
It may seem odd, but I think you should start out with the XFG / XRG online....on the demo servers. This way you'll learn to drive with the worst of the worst. Now, I am not saying ALL demo drivers are terrible, but there sure are some jerks out there. Demo servers are total chaos for the most part, and once you get comfortable with that, all the S2 servers will be a breeze.
Lacroix,

Here is my advice. Whether you take it to heart or not is your choice as some agree and some disagree.

Learn to drive with as few driving aids as your setup will allow you to. If you get the G25 then turn all the aids off and do it all on your own. You will have a steep learning curve but in the end you will thank yourself for doing so. Also speed is not somthing you can directly work on, it is just a byproduct of the things you can work on. I would first start with a low end slow car such as the XFG (FWD) or XRG (RWD) and learn to effectly use the control setup you have so it becomes second nature and you no longer need to think about your controls while driving.

Next start to learn the tracks and find your braking points and the different lines through the corners. Do not just practice the fastest lines, you need to know how to drive the less then ideal lines as well because when you find yourself trying to pass, being passed or missing your braking points, knowing how to drive through that corner off the racing line will save your arse and allow you to retain control. Once you feel you have a good handle on things go ahead and pop online and race, paying close attention to the other drivers, watching them and following them can lead to some great insites in to the way some cars handle or may reveal racing lines you had not considered.

Consistancy, Versitility and Good Racing Lines will lead to faster times. Being aware and respectfull of the other drivers and not using them as braking and turning aids will make you a welcomed racer.

Welcome to the addiction and I hope you have as much fun here as most of us do.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Can't wait to get my G25.

Been playing around with the mouse a little bit.. how does a wheel compare to this in LFS? Does steering become more natural by far?

'Are' there fairly advanced players who still use anything but a racing wheel?
Quote from Lacroix :'Are' there fairly advanced players who still use anything but a racing wheel?

Hi and welcome

Yes there are a few very quick racers who race with a mouse, some are very close to the world records.

I have also heard that people are playing lfs with joysticks
Welcome Lacroix

I'm still a newbee cos I'm not that fast racer and need to learn a lot about setups even I developed to create good sets suiting suitable to my driving style.

Will drive today cos I'm curious how the new Patch V is going to change LfS.

Happy racing
So.. my G25 has arrived.

I'm having problems assigning the controls in LFS tho.
On default, both gas and brake are active (without the pedals being pressed).

I tried reassigning them, but to no avail.
The brake pedal is on the same axis as the gas pedal (but reversed?) and I could only assign an axis to 1 function.

Any help?
Quote from Lacroix :So.. my G25 has arrived.

I'm having problems assigning the controls in LFS tho.
On default, both gas and brake are active (without the pedals being pressed).

I tried reassigning them, but to no avail.
The brake pedal is on the same axis as the gas pedal (but reversed?) and I could only assign an axis to 1 function.

Any help?

To get my G25 working right I had to

1. install the drivers that came with the wheel
2. get into the control panel options press 'properties' and then 'settings' and uncheck the 'combined axis' checkbox.

Be sure to select 'separate' in LFS in the brake/throttle controller options.

To reverse the axis press the 'invert' button next to the axis function.

I hope this will solve your problem.

And welcome to LFS, cu on the track.
Thanks, that did the trick.
I'm posting this here because I don't want to start a new thread, I wanna know if there are any noob servers in S2? I bought it today after playing the Demo for a few months now so I only know BL1 with the XFG and I drift the XRT on BL1R, so can any of you help me?
I notice that my G25 automaticly turns each way at least one time when shutting down or starting up my computer, is there any way to turn that off?
It seems so stupid.
Hi and welcome to LFS from me aswell!

The G25 does an auto calibration each time you either plug it in, or turn your computer on (with the G25 allready plugged in)

It determines the full locks to both sides and the center position.

AFAIK you cannot turn this off as it is necessary for the G25 to perform this calibration to make
it function properly
Quote from DFS_MadFred :Hi and welcome to LFS from me aswell!

The G25 does an auto calibration each time you either plug it in, or turn your computer on (with the G25 allready plugged in)

It determines the full locks to both sides and the center position.

AFAIK you cannot turn this off as it is necessary for the G25 to perform this calibration to make
it function properly

You can start with the XFGTI.

When I play LFS the wheel only does 180° instead of 900°.
When I start the logitech profiler, it says force feedback is off, and degrees of rotation is 0°. I can slide it back to 900°, but if I exit the screen and go back, it's back at 0°.

Oh how I hate logitech sofware that comes with their devices...

Hi there!
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG