The online racing simulator
UPDATE : Patch V
(186 posts, started )
Quote from RaceDoctor :
Am I the only one who thinks the new car sounds sound too alike to a vacuum cleaner?

I wouldn't say it in such a sarcastic way, but anyway.... hear for yourselves:
I've created a few sample sound files with direct comparisons between old and new sound. Those are the exact same laps played twice in full length - switches happen every few seconds, while the other sound continues to run silently in the background.

- FXO Sound comparison
- RAC Sound comparison
- RB4 Sound comparison
- LX6 Sound comparison
- FXR Sound comparison
Thanks Scawen!

Some questions arise though.

Since unfortunately at home (I'm in another town on my woman's PC) I've no net since last year (not even house phone to use at least 56k) and I've to swallow bitterly thinking to all the online racing I've missed with my small community, I wanted to know if:

There will always be the possibility to download manually patches (or full patched updated versions) from the site.
Automatic updates is a fantastic feature and I'm so happy is in, but since my sorry netless state I've had often to go to friend's home, download on a pendrive the patches, go home and install it.
Lately, after one update install, I've had my LFS install locked in demo mode since I had no time to bring my whole PC to a friend place to connect it online and unlock it as it may happen with patches (and also with this last one).

When I'll be home I'll still be without net (at least for a while) so I will ask a friend (or do it myself) to use a cell phone as a modem and just connect quickly [it's hugely expensive to use GPRS or UMTS technology to surf the net or download stuff, in Italy] to unlock it.

But if autoupdate would be the only option in the future, I'd be forced to spend lot of money just to get the latest version.

I KNOW. There's no need any of you says it: I should get a net connection home.
But since I'm in a not so good money situation and so is my family, I'm just saying that people in my situation may make do just with downloading the patches from some place else, install them and then unlock them (if needed) in the way described before.

I hope it's not a nuisance and the LFS devs are not set to an exclusive "auto-update" system from now on.

Just my small worries.
And yes, I'll repeat it, I'll try to get again a net connection home, don't flame me, I know the game is meant to be played online.
Heck, I love it and I play LFS since before S1 was even out.

Thanks in advance to the LFS Devs for any answers to my worries.

Long life to Live For Speed!!!
Tx Scawen and Co , Great work , enjoy the holidays and come back refreshed next year :wmann3:
#81 - Sage
A great Christmas gift indeed. Thanks for the hard work that you guys have put into LFS!

- Sage
Quote from biggie :words

The new one sound a lot better with that as comparision...

better = more realistic.
Thank You for the patch , it is always good to see the progressof LFS !
"We wish You a Marry Christmas,
We wish You a Marry Christmas,
We wish You a Marry Christmas,
And a Happy New Year! "
Quote from biggie :I wouldn't say it in such a sarcastic way, but anyway.... hear for yourselves:
I've created a few sample sound files with direct comparisons between old and new sound. Those are the exact same laps played twice in full length - switches happen every few seconds, while the other sound continues to run silently in the background.

- FXO Sound comparison
- RAC Sound comparison
- RB4 Sound comparison
- LX6 Sound comparison
- FXR Sound comparison

Somehow the new sounds are missing punch, the seem all flat and boring. (And, as I said before, it feels like 1000rpm too low)
Quote from R1K89 :I think it's great that we can communicate with the LFS Devs and even give idea's or our own opinion. I think no other game has that (well not one that i can think of)

There is another Luke.

Condor the Competition Soaring Simulator http://www.condorsoaring.com/ also has a couple of great dev's that you can basically direct a question to in the forums and get an answer promptly, probably more so than LFS as it doesn't have as many players ans the devs monitor the forums constantly. 2 guys built this game and it shits on any other flight sim to date, totally awesome.
Although Im not really amongst the actively playing LFS'ers, I would like to thank you for all your hard work. I wish all the developers happy holidays and all the best for the new year. :wmann3:
Excellent work.
It seems to run alot smoother now
And an excellent Track Screen
I get to play with Marshall's now :P
Just installed the patch and had to unlock again. Good old search engine brought me right to this thread and answered all my questions. Cheers guys
Nice job...but the sounds now....they sound like they are muffled...not loud enough...nice job tho..they sound dull....everything else that i know of it great i noticed some better handling and its alot smoother!

Edit: Now when I look at servers I get about 129 that I can't join? Why's that? Did I do Something wrong?
The new patch...

Is awesome.
But I absoluteley hate the new engine sounds.
I love the gear whine, and all of that, but the engine itself.
The only sound I like is the Fox- It's perfect.
The BMW F1 is almost a joke.
I think the sounds sound.. well- synthesized. As best as i can describe it. :\

other than that great work man...
Maybe someone will develop the old sounds, with the new effects.
Quote from scoobyrbac :Nice job...but the sounds now....they sound like they are muffled...not loud enough...nice job tho..they sound dull....everything else that i know of it great i noticed some better handling and its alot smoother!

Edit: Now when I look at servers I get about 129 that I can't join? Why's that? Did I do Something wrong?

I noticed that on the sound but then when i got in the gtr's (which you cant do) the sound is louder with all the gear change noises as would be expected as the road cars will have all the sound deadening (sp?) whereas the race cars wont.

Nice update scavier the sounds still need improving but by no means am i complaining, i didnt download every patch but i kept and eye on the patch forum and saw the work going into this patch - simply amazing. Scawen, Eric and Victor - you really are gods to us mere morals

And ofcourse - Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all.:wmann3:

*puts cheerleading outfit on*
Give me a S
Give me a C
Give me an A
Give me a V
Give me an I
Give me an E
Give me a R

:static: :static: SCAVIER :static: :static:
#92 - Vain
A good idea for the CSR folks:
Would it be possible to release a no-engine .eng file? Wind sounds, turbocharger, tyre squeal, but just no engine sound.
Those who want to run CSR can copy that .eng file into their engine-directory, rename it appropriately and could enjoy CSR fully.

Vain
The Scavier team will have a hard time topping the Xmas we were given the MRT; the one and only gift I ever received from a PC game.

Merry & Happy To All!
Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Quote from RaceDoctor :
Am I the only one who thinks the new car sounds sound too alike to a vacuum cleaner?

Nop

edit: checked that "CSR" still works
Merry Christmas, Scavier
Hope to not see you here on official business until next year
Enjoy!
nice work!
big step in the right direction
Being up to date with the patch U progress, I didn't realise the amount of work You've done. I was stunned when I read the list! Awesome!

Merry Christmas to all of You, Devs and Forumers

...imagine now - V1, V2...
I've been enjoying patch V so far. I like the sounds and they are a good base to build on in the future. Thank you mr. S and merry Christmas all 'ya!
After updating from u to v I cant unlock mine, have login and password but dont work, I even have enough tries left but just wont accept it. I can even login to the mainwebsite.

I cant wait to try it its like knowing what I get for christmas but too many day to I can open it unlucky me.

UPDATE : Patch V
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG