The online racing simulator
Server join queing system
(21 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Full servers in LFS are a pain to join (STCC + CLC atm) because whenever a slot comes up 5 people go for it and so on, so what about a simple queing system which makes people wait in line for a slot on the server when it becomes avliable?
+1.
You mean like a Server queue?
I guess he is.
+1 for the basic idea and

+2 because it solves a bug. We upgraded to U32 earlier and so where getting rejoins at a rate of about 2 a second, this incidentally, completely breaks it - I had to password the server and let a few on, then unpassword it - then password it.....
#6 - Davo
+1
+1

Typical "Now why didn't I think of that"-thing
This one has been suggested a few times now.

I know because I've said it in almost every thread about the "player connecting" conflicts Still gets a +1 from me though.
I've been thinking about this, and what i'd like isn't a queueing system, but a stacking system. Rather than waiting for a space on a popular server - how about the server can hand you off to a second server.

I've been running a duplicate server for my 'popular one' for 2 days now and the second server barely sees use, whereas the first server is still chocker block full.

It'd be nice if connection attempts to the first server just got forwarded onto another server. Ideally i'd like an insim command to do it so I can tie it into my servers management system.
That sounds like a good secondary option Becky.
The only problem would be if you specifically wanted a particular combo and the 2nd server wasn't running the same one. But if they were, that'd be ideal.

But without programming it into LFS itself, it'd need to be an external app, since the server wouldn't be able to redirect people without establishing a connection first, and it couldn't do that if it was full and not letting them connect

Er...I think
I mentioned this before, HL2 and CS:S have this system, you can choose to wait for a slot.

+1 from me
+1

same thing on WoW,

except those are like 600 person queues
+1

Everyone knows the feeling of frustration when a slot comes up and you're still refreshing, so you hit space, try to connect and "Another player is connecting".
+1
'nuff said.

PS:
For this nice warm fuzzy feeling: "Cannot do XYZ, player connecting" :mad:
"Cannot leave LFS, player is connecting"

oh ok LFS, i'll race the new player for a bit
#16 - 50-3
+50-3

this system will only work if they get ride of the u can't Pit/Disconnect Or Vote Cannceld when playing on a server
+1000000000000000000000000000000 im sure everyone in lfs hate this stupid problem, and also canceling races because of a player connecting , this should be on scawen (spelling) top priority
Good idea overall, but some of the posts here remind me of the psychotic German/Dutch kid going berserk while waiting for computer to boot. It's not the end of the world if have to wait a minute or two to be able to join a popular server.
It's not just about the joining, it's anything - joining, leaving, pitting, etc.

If you have limited qualification time and you waste 2 or 3 minutes because someone takes ages to connect, you lose at least 1 lap. Repeat that a couple of times and you lose quite a lot.

Likewise, if you want to change your setup, you are dependant on the connecting player having the connection/computer to connect quickly. Again, a loss of time.

And of course if you want to leave a race, you can't just leave. This is the one I understand least, since all it needs to do is drop the connection.

Seems to me it'd make much more sense for the connecting player to be made to wait rather than the players already competing. Still, I'm sure this is due for a revamp soon anyway.
Quote from spankmeyer :Good idea overall, but some of the posts here remind me of the psychotic German/Dutch kid going berserk while waiting for computer to boot. It's not the end of the world if have to wait a minute or two to be able to join a popular server.

German.

btw: another +1
best suggestion on this forum in a while

+1 (incase you were wondering)

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG