The online racing simulator
#1 - ajp71
Manual clutch/clutchless shifting
I was wondering does using the manual clutch offer faster shifts than the auto clutch, so could it possibly be an advantage to use it in LFS?

Also is there any point in clutchless shifting, can it be faster if you get it right, or is it simply the gain simply not worth the effort?
Clutchless UP shifting doesn't work in LFS for some reason... It will just stay in the same gear as long as you're on the throttle, and drop to '-' when you lift.
Or I could be doing it all wrong, of course.

And yes, manual clutch is faster... Especially with button clutch. You can delay the actual shift with manual clutch by shifting but not yet clutching, at least if you have an H-gated shifter. Just shift up, and when you're ready to go to the next gear, tap the clutch pedal/button.
Button clutching is faster than your normal auto clutch, but this "apparently" is being fixed, if you watch the blackwood GTi wr you will see his shifts are faster than your normal auto clutch, I don't know how much it gains but it does help them out a good bit.

Quote :You can delay the actual shift with manual clutch by shifting but not yet clutching

I thought that this damages the engine? :/
Not that I noticed... It might though.
Flatshifting used to damage the engine, yes. But since the introduction of rev limiters for some reason it doesn't at all or as much.
#5 - ajp71
Quote from TagForce :Clutchless UP shifting doesn't work in LFS for some reason... It will just stay in the same gear as long as you're on the throttle, and drop to '-' when you lift.
Or I could be doing it all wrong, of course.

It does work, just like IRL you have to hold throttle constant to get it out of gear and then adjust revs to match the next gear. Same for downshifting, it's not easy at first but you can do it.
See... I'm doing something wrong... It just never engages the next gear, no matter what revs I use. Either way, it's just too hard and too easy to mess up in LFS, whereas I can do it in my real car quite easily.
Quote from TagForce :See... I'm doing something wrong... It just never engages the next gear, no matter what revs I use. Either way, it's just too hard and too easy to mess up in LFS, whereas I can do it in my real car quite easily.

Your real car probably has a syncromesh gearbox, which helps a lot. Granted the "road" type cars in LFS should have them too.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from 5th Earth :Your real car probably has a syncromesh gearbox, which helps a lot. Granted the "road" type cars in LFS should have them too.

A syncromesh only allows the transmission speed to be changed to match the wheels speed when the engine is declutched. Modern H patern racing 'boxes are syncromeshed as well, but that won't help for clutchless changes.

On an old non-syncromesh car or a car with a week syncromesh (more common) you have to double declutch so that you clutch the engine after taking it out of gear and then change the engine speed to get the engine side transmission speed to match the wheels side transmission speed.
Quote from 5th Earth :Your real car probably has a syncromesh gearbox, which helps a lot. Granted the "road" type cars in LFS should have them too.

No, my car has a lightweight flywheel... Which means that as soon as I lift off, and yank the bastard out of gear, the revs drop like mad.
Sounds cool, and brings the revs down to match the gears a bit quicker than in LFS. Which is probly why I can do it in my car, and it takes forever in LFS.
#10 - CSU1
lol!
That is not to say it is not plain wrong in LFS... But that would account for my inability to speed shift

Speed shifting in real racing is supposed to be faster... But in LFS it's anything but.

EDIT:
I have just tried it with the GTRs, and they're much easier to do it in. I blame the travel of the G25's shifter for the remaining missed shifts... I can't shift that fast in my real car.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG