The online racing simulator
Cannot install LFS2
(15 posts, started )
Cannot install LFS2
No matter where I get the files from Torrents or Mirror sites I keep getting the following error:

Could not open file : data\skins\HEL_DEFAULT.jpg

This is what gets created in the Deb - Notepad file
"LFS : 0.5P
timer resolution 1 ms
read config
get command line
Could not open file : data\skins\HEL_DEFAULT.jpg"

Any help would be appreciated.
have you checked that the file exists? And if so can you open the file in your browser?
The file exists and will open in the browser. That's why I can't figure it out.
Tried installing the latest patches.? May not fix anything but worth a try as they do come with a new exe.
The game will not start if you do not have the default skin files for every model (cars & helmet).

I've attached my HEL_DEFAULT.jpg below, try and replace it and see what happens.
Attached images
HEL_DEFAULT.jpg
Yup..same error message.
So you are 100% positive the file is there?

And if you were to explore the folder you extracted the LFS S2 contents into it would look something similar to this:

LFS_S2_ALPHA_P\data\skins\HEL_DEFAULT.jpg

Are you trying to run it out of the zip program? If so, you need to extract the game into a folder. You point out you cannot 'install' the game, but the game doesn't have an installer, it runs from the files you see inside the zip --- they just need to be extracted. (Ermm well you already have a log file created, so this is probably not the case)

Just making sure, so we don't get confused later on down the road
Trying to run the exe from the zip gives me a different error message. And also he said that a log file was created.

What OS are you running?
So, you are absolutely sure you downloaded the S2 Alpha Full and THEN the latest patch P2 (respectively the latest test patch P4, if you want to)?.

My personal guess is that you left step #1 out.

Also, as it's a common mistake, to apply the patch you have to extract its content over the original LFS installation.
Thanks for the help. I didn't extract the files. Once I did that everything works great. Been playing for a couple hours
lol!
extract all test patch files into the main LFS S2 folder, overwrite all older files.
Just to be sure, please post the contents of the log file (deb.log file) like the first person did above.

How big is the zip file you downloaded and how big is the extracted S2 folder with and without the patch?
Installer
There hasn't been an installer provided. But I have created one. There's no way for me to post it to the forums here. But if anyone needs it, they can download it off my site (45KBps). Just leave me a message here/or private chat in the LFS Mailbox (in the LFS desktop). I don't have much bandwidth on my cable modem, so I don't want to give it out to too many people, but ask me and I'll likely let you download it.

It has an actual installer UI.
It has both the game and the quick skin viewer.
It has a real uninstaller.
It writes the correct registries so Windows knows it exists.
It shows up in "add/remove programs".
It takes all the guesswork out of extracting a .zip file.
It creates desktop and/or start menu shotcuts (optional).
It is a "real" installer!
With all this, it is also 16MB smaller than the .zip file provided from the LFS site.
Installer

Cannot install LFS2
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG