The online racing simulator
"JOINING" when a race is in progress....
When I jump onto a server when the race is several laps in progress already and I go to the Garage and select a car and pick a set folowed by hitting JOIN I then appear in the PITS.

What is the reason for appearing in the pits?

I tried to drive. But as I come out of the pits, I am stuck at 80KM/h max. Kinda dangerous to have me (which I would not) floating around the track at 80KH/h so what is the reason?

That and "can I start driving full speed?" How do you do that when entering mid-race?

C.
First off, where the hell would you prefer to appear?! The starting line?! Or am I horrendously missing the point?

With regards to your speed issue, you've got the pit limiter on (only applicable to certain cars). Turn it off - by default this is L.
Quote from the_angry_angel :You've got the pit limiter on (only applicable to certain cars). Turn it off - by default this is L.

Hey thanks!

Is it considered "poor form" to pull out and start driving (when safe to do so) in a race that is 3 or 4 laps into like 10 or whatever?

C.
Quote from cvearl :Hey thanks!

Is it considered "poor form" to pull out and start driving (when safe to do so) in a race that is 3 or 4 laps into like 10 or whatever?

C.

It depends on the server, and how competant of a driver you are.

If the server administrators really don't want you joining mid-race, they have the option to prevent it happening. So if you can, and its safe to do so, and you yield to blue flags, I'd say its fine. If you find yourself faster than a number of racers, its generally considered bad form to overtake them - unless its unsafe to stay behind.
You can drive in front of them. You can drive behind them.
But don't try to do a race with them, if you are not in the same lap with them.
FWIW, you don't start out in the pits, you start out in the garage. Just don't blindly pull out of the garage and you're ok. Check the map to see if there are any cars near yours. If you see a car around on the straight near your car, then they possibly could be doing a pitstop and you don't want to come barrelling out of the garage into his path like so many others do. Soon enough, the car marker on the map will go by either on pit road or out on the track and you can safely pull out of the garage. If you see a car on the map that just appears to be stopped, then he is more than likely sitting on pitroad doing his stop or he could be another late joiner and sitting in the garage just like you. You can ease out just a hair and look to see if the car is on pitroad, but I'd just wait it out.

The garage isn't used for anything during a race. It is only where you enter the track from when you just join.
Thanks everyone!

So with Pit Limiter on I will be stuck at 80 KM/h max speed even once I am on the track?

C.
#8 - Davo
Yes. the pit speed limit is 80km/h, go over that and you get a drive through penalty. hence the reason the pit speed limiter is on when extiting the garage. Use it, learn it. L will turn it off once you pass the pit exit.

On joining a race if the track is reasonably full I'll just spectate till it;s over. If there are gaps where I can drive without interrupting anyone then I'll join and drive around making sure not to disturb anyone's race. It's really shitty when someone joins half way through and starts blocking you.
Quote from Davo :...On joining a race if the track is reasonably full I'll just spectate till it;s over. If there are gaps where I can drive without interrupting anyone then I'll join and drive around making sure not to disturb anyone's race. It's really shitty when someone joins half way through and starts blocking you.

Would that there were more like you.
Take a look at these videos...

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5626

They are very well made and essential viewing for beginners. It should teach you what you need to know about leaving pits and pitting in one watch (each)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG