The online racing simulator
A possible n00b voting to ban suggestion. Discuss.
Ok i've been thinking about this and would like to hear everyone elses opinions.
What if we were to disallow the "vote to ban" button until people have done at least 5,000 miles (8,000 km).
Most people seem to mature in the LFS World once they've done a good few miles. Most of the people who vote to ban without even thinking about it are n00bs who've come straight from demo.
Just an idea, what you think?
Quote from nikimere :Most people seem to mature in the LFS World once they've done a good few miles.

Not necessarily so.
Quote :Most of the people who vote to ban without even thinking about it are n00bs who've come straight from demo.

Disagree
I think this is an unnecessary complication that will not achieve anything significant. Sorry.
I'd say, everyone who uses the word 'noob', or any alteration from that, in a serious manner should be disallowed to vote-ban.

Seriously, 5000 miles? That's just a 22.7h BF1 oval race...
Quote from al heeley :Not necessarily so.
Disagree
I think this is an unnecessary complication that will not achieve anything significant. Sorry.

So your say most people dont mature in LFS by the time they have reached 5k miles? I disagree, or course there are still a few odd people but thats always going to be the case.
No need to be sorry for your opinion, i'm not sorry for mine.
I think it would help alot of this banning for no good reason crap that seems to be happening alot. Weather it's right or wrong it's FAR from a complicated solution. I'm sure a simple IF statement would do it.
Quote from AndroidXP :I'd say, everyone who uses the word 'noob', or any alteration from that, in a serious manner should be disallowed to vote-ban.

No, just people who think its bad to be a n00b, we were all one at some time. Some of us still are replace the word n00b with idiot in my title then if you wish.
Problem with an idea like that is that if someone has a valid reason to start a ban vote they can't, and therefor they're less likely to get that number of miles without getting really angry or quitting altogether.

I don't generally vote to ban someone unless I've seen them doing something stupid myself. But whether a ban vote works or not, if someone is clearly doing something disruptive or offensive (I have a couple of seriously bad replays) I use the Wrecker Barricade.

Other than that I can't think of a better way to get rid of the morons.
Quote from nikimere :No, just people who think its bad to be a n00b, we were all one at some time. Some of us still are replace the word n00b with idiot in my title then if you wish.

I prefer to call such people newbies, and I sure wasn't a 'n00b' at some time. There's a huge difference between 'newbie' and 'n00b', where 'idiot', as you suggested, is a much better description of the latter.

Besides that, if you frequently see ban votes you're clearly visiting the wrong servers.
I see people who have been around a while make completely incorrect, uneducated and silly votes, so I'd say it's not the number of miles driven. It's the personality of the people who race, no more, no less. I don't see the disallowing helping in any way. In fact, I think not allowing the rest of the 'new' but people with common sense not to initiate a vote could be more of a problem.
Quote from AndroidXP :Besides that, if you frequently see ban votes you're clearly visiting the wrong servers.

i know that but people new to the game dont. i very rarely see people voting to ban but i hear ALOT about it on the forums.

i suggest only disallowing the ban button, the kick button would still be functional for everyone.
It could be useful. When I was a demoracer (hmmm yesterday?:razz if you had colorful name with team tag you could ban everyone. Especially when a great laptime by you on the finish table. I was using standard color in my nickname, and doh, try ban a wrecker then...

Maybe your idea could help with many noobs. But also clean drivers will be forced to drive the oval for 8h to get the limit of these 5000km to be 100% LFS citizen. On the other hand, some noobs will always be noobs, and even 70mld km will not change them. Sometimes I wish I could vote 'no!' anyway...

btw, it is funny that you can vote to ban yourself
Quote from nikimere :i very rarely see people voting to ban but i hear ALOT about it on the forums.

That's true, but in most cases the victims were either playing on a shi... questionable server, or as soon as the people that vote-banned them step up it turns out that they had all reasons to do so. Seriously, other than seeing people here go "I got banned! Waah, waah, mommy!" I don't think the banning is a real problem in LFS.
Quote from AndroidXP :I don't think the banning is a real problem in LFS.

Yeah. The vote ban is only 24h so it's not even that big of a deal if you get mistakenly banned.
I totally agree that irrational knee-jerk banning is a major irritant, but it is impossible to totally legislate against stupidity, and it is the stupid minority who will always do this, no matter how many miles they have been doing. Therre may be lots of newer players who are good, fair and honest players, if not allowed to join the voting bans, who may be subject to unfair activities if they are excluded from voting rights. How about only over 18's allowed to vote? Or 21? Where do you draw the line? 5000 miles, 10,000 miles, 6 months registration, 1 year? I think it will open up more problems than it is attempting to solve, without actually achieving much positive.
I totally agree with al's position, you cannot divide players by anything into mature and noob. I know many people I race with, stupid 18 year olds, great and fair sixteeners, vice versa and more...... mileage and age do not matter, if you're an idiot or a (mostly) clean and fair guy.
The only way out of this dilemma would be more fairness and maturity overall on the public servers.
You all know the deal: one gets pushed off the track or goes off by his own fault, blames the others, gets mad on the server, others get mad too....... This behaviour is for halflife kids, but also quite common on lfs servers though.
So it is up to YOU if there are fine races or silly ban-wrecker shootuots.

greetz and let there be peace on the track

butz

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG