The online racing simulator
Jumping cars in MP races and replays
Hello!

I was looking around here in the forum for lag problems but I didn't found anything that fits my problem.

After playing 1,5 year LFS since a couple of weeks I got the problem that other cars are jumping in multiplayer races, either in race, in spectator mode and in the replays. "Jumping" means they are slight jumping from side to side, sometimes they disappear, and if you're looking to two other cars in spec or replay it is horrible to look at.

I didn't had this problem before. The PC is a game computer only (P4-3,2MHz, 1GB RAM, 6600GT), no other typical "problem maker" tasks in background (no IM, no eMule or Torrent). The PC is connected via switch and router directly to a DSL connection.

Normal fps is 92, if I running against 11 AI the fps is dropped to 30 but still with a smooth running of all cars in race and in spec and in replay. The resolution is dropping, but the movement is still smooth. In online races the fps never dropped so much, lowest value I noticed was 50 fps, but the cars are jumping.

Other games like BF1942 or CSS are running without these problems. I've noticed that the pings to other game servers are averaged about 10ms higher than a few weeks ago (from 50-60ms up to 60-70ms), but IMO it could not be the reason.

The PC was actually checked for viruses and atvertisements and all that stuff. The LFS version I'm using is U30, but a friend was having same problems when he was here with it's own computer using patch U on it's LFS.

For me it looks like a network problem, but where I can begin to search for it?

TIA

Haddock
One possible explanation is that your ISP is having general network problems (overload), your DSLAM is overloaded, or that your ISP is throttling packets which use "high" ports - typically this would be bittorrent, emule, etc. although LFS also uses a high port by default.
Hello!
Quote from the_angry_angel :...or that your ISP is throttling packets which use "high" ports - typically this would be bittorrent, emule, etc. although LFS also uses a high port by default.

Is there a way to set another port for LFS...?

Haddock
#4 - Davo
Quote from Haddock :Hello!

Is there a way to set another port for LFS...?

Haddock

Only the server admins can do that. It's been mentioned for servers to run on a lower port range but there's probably only a handful out there that do. I'd say most of them run the default or close to the default port of 63392.
Hai!
Quote from Davo :Only the server admins can do that. It's been mentioned for servers to run on a lower port range but there's probably only a handful out there that do. I'd say most of them run the default or close to the default port of 63392.

That remembers me that I have a dedicated server on my notebook to check this out in the LAN. The jumping cars are also in replays if I was connecting my game computer to this notebook only in LAN...so that shows that it can't be a problem with the ISP, or?

So I was testing other settings for the network (MPU and so on) by using a program which is optimizing this settings, but no help.

I'm out of ideas...

Haddock
I have the same problem with cars warping slightly online. I would suggest you get a friend to host a server with a un-default port number to see if the warping contiunes.
Hai!
Quote from SgtNathan :I have the same problem with cars warping slightly online. I would suggest you get a friend to host a server with a un-default port number to see if the warping contiunes.

Well, I will test it anyway, but could take some time (f*cking late shift, you know?).

Haddock
#8 - Davo
On your server make sure the PPS is set to 6 and on the LAN server it should be 12.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG