The online racing simulator
New Tracks
(34 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
Just to cure that lack of education:
The Dipper at Bathurst.
The Fuchröhre at the Nordschleife. (Rear view)
The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.
The Eau Rouge at Spa.

Comparing that to South City is like comparing Nepal to the Netherlands.

Vain
Quote from AndroidXP :@Vain: Heh, from these I just knew the Eau Rouge, and also only because I've driven through it back in the GTR demo. And I absolutely loathe our mini Eau Rouge

But I now understand what Hyperactive meant.

Shame on you
Quote from the_angry_angel :Just to give you an idea on why:
* The track formats are LFS' own format. They can and probably will change as more features are added.
* The business model is to do with content (tracks, cars, etc.) and service (LFSW). The devs would shoot themselves in the foot if they allowed non official content right now.
* If they accepted your track (and it was similar to a previous race track (in terms of layout)), and you allowed them to sell it, they may be liable.

What i think he means is that you should be able to create tracks without being able to sell them. kinda like mods for Nascar Racing Season 2003.
Really interesting post, Caliviper, I guess you know you are in a tiny minority of RL racers whose requests for real tracks is beyond the budget of LFS.
It would be great if someone like you with the real inside race knowledge, would start to set up some sort of co-operation with sim racers and devs, and organise accurate mapping of RL circuits for import (at a fee) into the game for those that would like to pay.
Personally I wouldn't pay extra as my enjoyment of the game is not dependant on knowing every bump of a circuit I will never get to drive in real life, but there may be a few dozen people out there interested as you.
Sadly probably not enough to make it a viable commercial project, which is probably why the LFS devs have not gone down this path either. Good sentiments though
Addon stuff with a price tag can be very complex thing to get right. It also seems that there are certain percentage of people who could pay something for addon content. The main reason for not having paid addon stuff is that we have only 3 developers. There just isn't time to make addon tracks and cars to be sold separately or in packs. There has been talks of rally pack but so far I haven't found out whther it was meant to be free addon or something you pay some extra.

rFactor is a bit different. It was designed and made to have user made stuff right from the beginning while LFS has always been tight locked.

When looking at LFS, I think the thing it needs now the most is something other than new cars. A new track or 2 might be cool, but stuff like drivetrain and engine damage, more realistic starts, better aerodynamics, more advanced tire physics etc.. Maybe some kind of addon, even something you need to pay for is possible once S2 is "finished" when we are waiting for S3 but not before imho
Quote from caliviper :I just finished playing a handful of online games in DEMO mode. I hope that the network games for PAID users are better than the Demo server. I noticed super jerky graphics of other players's cars, and people would purposely try to wreck you or just come crashing into you. Was a terrible experience.

Super jerky graphics? What kind of pings do you usually have? On the connections list you can see the pings and usually less than, say 150 means that you can race pretty well. The jerkyness may be caused also by that the other(s) had very high pings...

On demo servers the chances to find good and fair racing is very low. But I can assure that on normal S2 and S1 servers you will find lots of helpful people to race with. There is also Wreckers barricade on most S2 server enabled to keep the idiots out. Demo servers can get easily filled by ****s
#32 - Vain
1. Yes, the standard of driving is higher on licensed servers. That's because if you wreck other cars you will be banned from quite a few servers for several years and you'll have to buy a new license if you want to join again.
2. I think the way to go for real life track is commissioned work. Get a few people to model and texture the layout of the track, let Eric do the beauty stuff, finished.

Vain
i don`t know why the devs don`t take advice from people on this forum. There are a lot of good idea. As for tracks .. they should be very diversified .. from Nurburgring racing circuit , tomountain races , Monte carlo and many more. Why not an autocros made in such a way that is endless.. like the customization tunnel un NFS UNDERGROUND ... one small tunnel section .. repeted itself forever .. that would be nice to test the top speed of every car ..
Quote from caliviper :I just finished playing a handful of online games in DEMO mode. I hope that the network games for PAID users are better than the Demo server. I noticed super jerky graphics of other players's cars, and people would purposely try to wreck you or just come crashing into you. Was a terrible experience.

There is good racing to be found on Demo servers, but it takes some searching. Many online races on Demo are ruined by wreckers or by noobs who haven't found the brakes yet. (LFS does print a warning, BTW.)

Some tips:
- When you join, stay in spectator mode for a while, and judge the driving (and the lap times) of the others. If it doesn't look good, disconnect and try another server.
- Go to servers that have ban voting. Wreckers prefer ban-less servers.
- Go to servers that have longer races (> 5 laps) and/or required pit stops, and no mid-race joins. These are less inviting to reckless drivers.
- When you have found a good race, remember the name of the server, and the time of day.

New Tracks
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG