The online racing simulator
Programming an IPAQ
(10 posts, started )
Programming an IPAQ
First off, I know nothing about what i'm about to ask.!!!

I have an old IPAQ Pocket PC 2002 lying around with Windows Mobile on it.

How easy (for a complete NOOB) is it and what do I need to make a little app to get LFS information working on it?

Things like gear indicator, shift light and revs.

Assume I have no knowledge of programming, what language is needed (easiest to learn) to communicate with these?

The chances are i'm runnning before trying to walk here, but I'm curious to know if it can be done by a complete beginner like me.

If i'm wasting my time here, please say so, as I won't be offended!!

Andrew
If your a complete programming n00b that will be a tough challenge alright...
I'm sure some of the programs that have already been written could be changed slightly and re-complied to work on Windows Mobile... but to be honest i dont really know.

JAVA or C would be the best languages to creat a windoze mobile app with. although what kind of info are you looking for?
PHP can produce alot of info for LFS so you could go down the web route and connect to the web on your device to view the info.
Quote from nikimere :If your a complete programming n00b that will be a tough challenge alright...
I'm sure some of the programs that have already been written could be changed slightly and re-complied to work on Windows Mobile... but to be honest i dont really know.

JAVA or C would be the best languages to creat a windoze mobile app with. although what kind of info are you looking for?
PHP can produce alot of info for LFS so you could go down the web route and connect to the web on your device to view the info.

something simple like gear indicator, and revs which could be just text based first
Quote from mrfell :I have an old IPAQ Pocket PC 2002 lying around with Windows Mobile on it.

Windows Mobile 2002? Does it have WiFi? When you connect it to your PC, do you get an additional network interface?
The reason I ask is that I'm fiddling with some stuff along the lines of what you want - but I'm focusing on Windows Mobile 5.0 (the latest version). I do the facility for other versions Unfortunately I don't have the various models and the emulators don't provide much information when it comes down to connectivity.

Redrunner has also created a similar thing, but using the .NET compact framework - which isn't compatible with earlier versions, without installing the framework. Whereas I'm using the WinAPI - which means it should be more compatible with various versions out of the box.

Quote from mrfell :The chances are i'm runnning before trying to walk here, but I'm curious to know if it can be done by a complete beginner like me.

TBH, once you've got the environment working, its pretty similar to normal windows programming. Theres a few gotcha's - like checking to see if its already running, etc.

Quote from nikimere :If your a complete programming n00b that will be a tough challenge alright...

If you're totally new to it, then yes it'll be a real challenge, but its not impossible.

Quote from nikimere :PHP can produce alot of info for LFS so you could go down the web route and connect to the web on your device to view the info.

I'm done a reasonable amount of research on this, and I'm still interested in persuing this, but there are issues with resolution of updates on most handheld devices (since they don't support technology which would allow data to be pushed to them).
Quote from mrfell :something simple like gear indicator, and revs which could be just text based first

they would require you to pull data from LFS in real time. so you'd have to use outsim. In that case it would need to be (feel free to correct me someone) a stanalone app programmed in something like JAVA or C... I say JAVA or C because these seem to be the most popular.
Maybe there is already somethign out there? I dont really know, hjave you searched the LFS Programmers forum for info about programming using Outsim?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Windows Mobile 2002? Does it have WiFi? When you connect it to your PC, do you get an additional network interface?
The reason I ask is that I'm fiddling with some stuff along the lines of what you want - but I'm focusing on Windows Mobile 5.0 (the latest version). I do the facility for other versions Unfortunately I don't have the various models and the emulators don't provide much information when it comes down to connectivity.

Redrunner has also created a similar thing, but using the .NET compact framework - which isn't compatible with earlier versions, without installing the framework. Whereas I'm using the WinAPI - which means it should be more compatible with various versions out of the box.

TBH, once you've got the environment working, its pretty similar to normal windows programming. Theres a few gotcha's - like checking to see if its already running, etc.

If you're totally new to it, then yes it'll be a real challenge, but its not impossible.

I'm done a reasonable amount of research on this, and I'm still interested in persuing this, but there are issues with resolution of updates on most handheld devices (since they don't support technology which would allow data to be pushed to them).

This is a really old piece of kit, no wifi i'm afraid!!
Quote from mrfell :This is a really old piece of kit, no wifi i'm afraid!!

Presumably ActiveSync works with it though?
Ok, just an update on where I'm going with this;

Not very far. My main desktop is in a bit of a state, and in short I have a dead hard drive. Unfortunately, like the moron I am, it wasn't added to my backup routine, and it wasn't checked into my SVN server. Meaning, I have nothing and I've gotta start from scratch.
Hi there,

the problem with the Active Sync connection (until version 3.x, which is necessary for WM2003 based PDAs) is, that it supports only TCP-connection. Therefore you do have to either find another of way of data transmission or you have to build an UPD/TCP-relay on your own.
I decided to go for the WLAN-connection.

Greetz
Jens

Programming an IPAQ
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG