The online racing simulator
OWRL - Is it the best?
(19 posts, started )
OWRL - Is it the best?
I've been competing in the OWRL for a few weeks now. It's the best league I've competed in for these reasons:

There are many entries - anything between 50 - 80.

The grids are decided by hotlap and pb time and are automatically updated.

There are no special skin requirements so no messing about there.

You can enter right up to an hour before the event.

There are always lots of practice races in the 2 weeks between events.

All drivers seem to be clean and fair.

The racing is incredibly close - whole of Grid 2 separated by 0.48s last time out.

Good website with good results and standing pages.

The FOX is great fun.

I just want as many people to know about this league as possible - hence the thread. I was getting a bit tired of LFS but once I discovered this league I was right back into it again.

Come join me - http://www.owrl.de/news.php - race this Saturday
I know of the OWRL, but not much is heard from it at all. It would be cool to see some results, some replays, etc etc. But the league isn't very public, and I don't know much about it at all.

And actually when it first started, I thought it was purely an FO8 league when S2 first came out, but then I didn't even hear if that started off. I have been in a North American FO8 league (LOTA), and of course depending on where my location is in the world, I'll find things closer to me, but the OWRL has a wide range of drivers from all over, and I never knew much about it at all. Up until recently I have heard about it after talking to some fellow drivers from Cyber, and how some pretty fast drivers were competing. I went on their site and I really couldn't find any clear results or standings, or whatnot... it felt dead like I have always thought it was

Maybe I am just uninformed, but being one of the only leagues focused primarily on open wheel racing, I'd like to hear more about it.... because I love open wheelers.

It's just a shame that they chose to use the e107 CMS, it's a messy and off-putting as SMF boards
Quote from Tweaker :I know of the OWRL, but not much is heard from it at all. It would be cool to see some results, some replays, etc etc. But the league isn't very public, and I don't know much about it at all.

And actually when it first started, I thought it was purely an FO8 league when S2 first came out, but then I didn't even hear if that started off. I have been in a North American FO8 league (LOTA), and of course depending on where my location is in the world, I'll find things closer to me, but the OWRL has a wide range of drivers from all over, and I never knew much about it at all. Up until recently I have heard about it after talking to some fellow drivers from Cyber, and how some pretty fast drivers were competing. I went on their site and I really couldn't find any clear results or standings, or whatnot... it felt dead like I have always thought it was

Maybe I am just uninformed, but being one of the only leagues focused primarily on open wheel racing, I'd like to hear more about it.... because I love open wheelers.

It's just a shame that they chose to use the e107 CMS, it's a messy and off-putting as SMF boards

I'm surprised you couldn't find the results etc. They are there and the link to results and standings is in the main menu bar. It's just a case of choosing standings and then viewing the list or chose results and then click on the event you want results for. Maybe they changed the site since your last visit.

Why not try it again m8 - love to see you there.
Not the current results, but past results and at least some kind of record of what they have done... which still don't work even after this web update

The only thing is, I don't want to be in a FOX league, I am an FO8 driver But I am sure the FOX racing is really good and competitive, I wouldn't doubt that. My first post was just explaining why I haven't really come to know about it much... because their publicity is really lacking to become well known. And this thread kind of reminds me of the STCC survery thread several days ago. They have the publicity with videos and interaction with the public (awesome), but not so many fast drivers. Some disagree that a league should have fast drivers, but ehhh, OLFSL has quick drivers, the competition needs to be fierce
The question is it the best, if i'm honest - and trying not to be biased whilst accepting it's impossible for me not to be - i'd say no. Is it great? Damn right.

The OWRL is great to race in, it's great to be a part of and I do love the single seaters. I've done one full season in OWRL (7th DivB) and a few races either side, and I enjoyed all of it (except the disconnect!). From a racing perspective it is great. I'd give it 10 for the racing.

What the OWRL isn't is a spectacle, because it keeps itself mostly to it's own web page and isn't terribly visible - drivers find it, and there was a radio cast of at least one race but it wasn't terribly visible. From a spectator point of view it scores 0.

Where it falls down is not having a dedicated admin presence on each race, and not having visible stewarding after a race. The clean driving seen in the league is dependent upon the goodwill of the racers, which is perfectly fine for 95% of the entries 95% of the time... From this point of view, it scores a lowly 4, saved only by the fact that I know stewarding occurs on complaints - but no public statement of stewarding results or informing the drivers of what is acceptable ever happens.

So whilst I dont think it is the best, as a competitor I thoroughly enjoyed racing the OWRL and hope that one day I find the time to come back to it - as it is a great league and well worth competing in.
Agree with Becky there mostly, Its a good league, but I believe there are better out there. Others just need to be given the chance to exist. Ive never entered the OWRL, but I know pleantly who have. Seems to be a good series to drop into and out of.. If thats what your after.
Quote from mkinnov8 :Agree with Becky there mostly, Its a good league, but I believe there are better out there. Others just need to be given the chance to exist. Ive never entered the OWRL, but I know pleantly who have. Seems to be a good series to drop into and out of.. If thats what your after.

Dropping in and out of leagues is my style as I just hate commitment.

And thanks, there is lots of useful feedback here generally. I do like the way STCC is going about things and think OWRL could learn a thing or two but I guess it's just all the effort involved in stewarding meetings, handling 'judicial' stuff and creating broadcasts.
#8 - d6nn
Quote from Gentlefoot :I've been competing in the OWRL for a few weeks now. It's the best league I've competed in for these reasons:

There are many entries - anything between 50 - 80.

The grids are decided by hotlap and pb time and are automatically updated.

There are no special skin requirements so no messing about there.

You can enter right up to an hour before the event.

There are always lots of practice races in the 2 weeks between events.

All drivers seem to be clean and fair.

The racing is incredibly close - whole of Grid 2 separated by 0.48s last time out.

Good website with good results and standing pages.

The FOX is great fun.

I just want as many people to know about this league as possible - hence the thread. I was getting a bit tired of LFS but once I discovered this league I was right back into it again.

Come join me - http://www.owrl.de/news.php - race this Saturday

u got me interested, siginin up. lets see what will it work out
#9 - Vain
I raced in the OWRL, even was invited into the FO8 Div A, but decided not to do it and quit the OWRL.
It's just nothing special, a bunch of guys driving together. You don't compete with anyone, because either your competitors didn't come to this race or they have been taken out by someone, or you have been taken out.
It's public server driving to me, with the difference that you make out a time to meet.

Vain
Quote from d6nn :u got me interested, siginin up. lets see what will it work out

Great - look forward to seeing ya
Quote from Vain :I raced in the OWRL, even was invited into the FO8 Div A, but decided not to do it and quit the OWRL.
It's just nothing special, a bunch of guys driving together. You don't compete with anyone, because either your competitors didn't come to this race or they have been taken out by someone, or you have been taken out.
It's public server driving to me, with the difference that you make out a time to meet.

Vain

Vain - I'm surprised you didn't get any close racing m8. My last race I did 14 laps trying to pass the guy in front whilst simultaneously defending from the guy behind. It was fantastic fun.

Go on m8 - give it another go - I love racing with you.
BREAKING NEWS!!

All OWRL entrants check out Tracker. New WR by a mile!!

Do you think it is suspicious? People call me alien for doing 1:47.7s. The current hotlap WR is 1:46.6! He just set a 1:45.1!!
#13 - d6nn
Quote from Gentlefoot :BREAKING NEWS!!

All OWRL entrants check out Tracker. New WR by a mile!!

Do you think it is suspicious? People call me alien for doing 1:47.7s. The current hotlap WR is 1:46.6! He just set a 1:45.1!!

well its made online... he could have bugged at the finish line (driving inside the pitbarrier and fly over the finish line)
Quote from d6nn :well its made online... he could have bugged at the finish line (driving inside the pitbarrier and fly over the finish line)

Sounds to me like something like that did happen and he is going to deelete the PB so it gets removed from tracker.
I think the website could be done a bit better, in the vixen challenge everything is integrated into the website and results/standings are up-to-date within one or two minutes of the races ending. This is done with the use of an instant replay parser (made for me by phlos) to create files which are read by php scripts. We also track hotlaps for each race ourselves which allows it to be updated much more quickly. We are between seasons at the moment and have not yet announced the next one but you can have a look at http://www.vixenchallenge.co.uk to see the website anyway if you are interested. Notice that you can see results and standings right back from the first season.

Josh
Certainly database driven sites are the way to go, OWRL's is actually quite involved when you go through it. Certainly i'm planning to move to a more content & data driven database back end to my own league site, as soon as I can find the mugs who are more knowledgeable about these things than me and get them slumped infront of their computer slaving away for me .

Anyway I found a small problem with the Vixen website you posted, namely the screen your link took me too:
Are you using a larger than normal font size? I didn't know that happened, i don't think i will bother to fix it though as me and Misan are going to completely remake the website from scratch before season 4. Thanks for letting me know though.

Josh
Font size: Normal; Browser: Safari; OS: OS-X; Fonts installed: It's a Mac, it has lots.
Hello

Guess I should finally do my first post...

Been driving lfs and stalking these forums since S1 days, but never bothered to join any league. I had nothing to do for this weekend so I thought i would look if there are any races scheluded. I dont really like FOX, nor AS national, but there was nothing else so i joined this

Been practising online since thursday and i have found this to be actually very fun combo. Looking forward to the race and hoping I won't push anyone off the road.

EDIT: So it wasn't my first post. :rolleyes: Can't remember the first one though

OWRL - Is it the best?
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG