The online racing simulator
Some questions
(17 posts, started )
#1 - ste_
Some questions
Hi, here are some questions. [edit: concerning LiveForSpeed, for the pedantic amongst you...]

1) Does rubber laid down on the road give increased grip for cars running on it?

2) Do the different road surfaces have different coefficients of friction? eg: the buslane tarmac in South City looks like that more-grippy road surface that you see on roads around the UK.

3) Is there a way to reset my pb time for any given circuit? Only on one circuit (aston) I got my pb by flying over the gravel trap on the last turn, which is obviously a cheat time. I would like to monitor my proper pb on this circuit now.

4) How heavy is fuel? ( X kg/litre )

5) Does anyone get a strange crash when racing that sounds like this? You'll be driving along, and suddenly the game will pause itself for 2-3 seconds. Then all car bodies disappear, tho not the tyres or the windshield wipers or the driver (except for the driver's head). The game then redraws the screen about once a second. Sometime I can manage to get to quit the game and restart it, and everything is fine. Other times I have to reset the PC.

6) What is the airspeed of a Swallow?
1) Yes, but only in real life
2) Not tried the LFS cars on real roads yet outside of my PC world
3) Don't know
4) Gasoline for vehicles is approx 737g/litre at room temperature.
5) No
6) African or european?
3: Yes, just go to LFS World and click the time you want to delete.
6) In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

...or maybe not http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/
2) It doesn't feel to me like there's any difference, but honestly I wouldn't know for sure :/

And sorry for this off-topic question, but:
Quote from ste_ and al heeley :
6) What is the airspeed of a Swallow? - African or european?

ROFL, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", eh?
I get that strange thing you mentioned at number 5. I put it down to my PC being a bit crap and not really having decent cooling.. and a lack of RAM. It does it in pretty much every other 3D game I play so I doubt that it's LFS. I just alt+tab out of the game, then restore and everything's fine from then on. It never does it twice in one session. Sorry I can't be any help... just thought it might be reassuring to know you're not the only one it happens to.
Quote from ste_ :Hi, here are some questions. [edit: concerning LiveForSpeed, for the pedantic amongst you...]

1) Does rubber laid down on the road give increased grip for cars running on it?

2) Do the different road surfaces have different coefficients of friction? eg: the buslane tarmac in South City looks like that more-grippy road surface that you see on roads around the UK.

3) Is there a way to reset my pb time for any given circuit? Only on one circuit (aston) I got my pb by flying over the gravel trap on the last turn, which is obviously a cheat time. I would like to monitor my proper pb on this circuit now.

4) How heavy is fuel? ( X kg/litre )

5) Does anyone get a strange crash when racing that sounds like this? You'll be driving along, and suddenly the game will pause itself for 2-3 seconds. Then all car bodies disappear, tho not the tyres or the windshield wipers or the driver (except for the driver's head). The game then redraws the screen about once a second. Sometime I can manage to get to quit the game and restart it, and everything is fine. Other times I have to reset the PC.

6) What is the airspeed of a Swallow?

1) Not at the moment.

2) To an extent yeah. The kind of red-block pavers in south city around the tram tracks definitely have less grip, and I've always felt that Fern Bay was less grippy that other tracks (cos of the sand I guess) but I cant prove that.

3) Already answered.

4) 0.74 Kg/l in LFS as best as I can calculate.

5) No, but it sounds like either driver or heat issues.

6) The average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 metres per second, or 24 miles per hour.
shift+f4 (twice) is a short term fix for #5. Your not by any chance using an FX5200 are you? I remember someone else as well as myself having this problem and we both had the same gfx card. Although i havent had the problem for over 2 months now.
:ices_rofl @ 6 and it's discussion
Quote from al heeley :1) Yes, but only in real life

There is (at least was in S1) a "rubber lay" (not the skid marks) that got better grip during a (long) race...
Think the effect even is documented at RSC..

(IIRC)
#11 - Vain
6. Is the swallow unloaded or carrying a coconut? Of course, if it could beat it's wings 43 times a second it could maintain the necessary air-speed velocity even with the coconut. Am I right?

Oh, and if you need some assistance to get the topic of the discussion... click!

Vain
Quote from SniperX :There is (at least was in S1) a "rubber lay" (not the skid marks) that got better grip during a (long) race...
Think the effect even is documented at RSC..

(IIRC)

can you provide a link to this or quote the info please? i'd like to read it.

thank you

speedfreak227
#13 - ste_
Thanks for all the great replys people!

sil3ntwar > My graphics card is a nVidia GF4 Ti4400, so it's not the same as yours, but it is an older nvidia card.. None of my other many games show this behaviour tho..
6) There is a book related to this, after reading it you have the basic understanding and then I can give you some more "extreme" equations about it:http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/4/2193. Notice that reading couple of the other books can't harm neither.

In order to answer your question we need:
- rotation vectors (three axises here)
- rotation acceleration vectors (3 too)
- some kind of physical model describing the the body rigidity and deformation related to the air coefficient and gravity
- very precise model of the swallow itself
- in order to give precise answer we need to do some real life testing to solve some thingies with real swallows, at least 10,000 tests is a minimum

I have been researching this since 1950s and it has some relations to the roswell incident...shhh...but in the end there is just no point...
#15 - ste_
Just a quick headsup to people: If you reset your PB via lfsworld.net, then it also resets the number of laps you've done with that track/car combo. Slightly anoying to have lost 1200 laps, but not the end of the world.
Quote from speedfreak227 :can you provide a link to this or quote the info please? i'd like to read it.

thank you

speedfreak227

Guess not, tried to search at RSC, but was not able to find the thread..
I know there is a setting called "Rubber Lay" in cfg.txt, but when I think about it I don't think the "layer" increased the grip (but really not sure)..
As far as I'm aware, rubber lay has never increased the available grip. Considering it's a client side setting it would make cheating rather easy were it to. It's still present now you know.

Some questions
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG