The online racing simulator
#1 - Woz
Cant ? a player is connecting
This one is starting to drive me mad.

You have a smash and then see the entire field is almost on you so you select jump to pits......

"Cant go to pits a player is connecting."

There are a few instances where this is seen. There is no need for this at all. While the player connects the race continues so each client in the race can see a jump to pits request why not let it through.

I cant see why a jump to pits or spectate matters while a player connects.

I would have assumed the connecting player gets the game state as its first packet once their client is ready. The fact that players have left should be simple to deal with if not skip a frame or physics cycle or whatever period has to pass before the next jump to pits request could be processed normally. Process the pits/spec request and then everyone is back in sync without the need for the holdup.
I completely agree with you. While I can see that problems can arise in such 'critical' situations as a player-connect, simply disallowing any action that causes a problem seems to be a bit cheap solution. Especially if it's as intrusive as the current one. I cannot really see how the problem could be of such enormously complexity that it warrants such a workaround, either.
It is annoying. Whe the race is about to get (re)started, someone joins and you need to vote again. Can't go to pits, spectating etc...

It's not really a big deal but it is defenately annoying. The base line is that what other people are doing shouldn't have such an impact on what I can do
What's the complete list?

Can't join server, player already connecting - that's fine
Can't jump to pits - that's not
Can't spectate - neither is that
Can't leave server, player connecting - that's the worst

All the above are more annoying when the user connecting times out, you have to wait 5 seconds or so. Not great when you've wrecked your car in the middle of T1 and are desperately trying to get out of the way.
Yup, definitely very annoying this one.

I've been thinking about why LFS would have a conflict with these things, and the only answer I can think of is that it reconnects you every time you do them.

So you Shift+S to the pits, it disconnects you from the race, reconnects you and places you in the pits on the first lap.

If that is the case it seems a little clumsy. You shouldn't need to register a reconnect to pit in.
Nah, a complete disconnect would be silly. It likely just removes the car from the track, stops sending your position packets and informs everyone that "XXX has pitted". The problem is probably that a client that is just connecting can't handle these packets correctly, and would either crash upon receiving the packet or upon finding out that the current situation is different from the one when he started connecting.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
That wouldn't be a problem, as the player who has "pitted" isn't physically in a garage slot, anyway.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think this depends on the System LFS uses for the Multiplayer (Host/ Client synchronizing and so on), its totally different compared to other Games, as far as i know but i may be wrong with that. Besides that, i dont i dont like it as well, but i also think theres no way to get around it but i have to guess here as well.

Quote from woz : I would have assumed the connecting player gets the game state as its first packet once their client is ready. The fact that players have left should be simple to deal with if not skip a frame or physics cycle or whatever period has to pass before the next jump to pits request could be processed normally. Process the pits/spec request and then everyone is back in sync without the need for the holdup.

ops..ignored that, only read the first few sentences and some post because theres not much time for me right now to chill here
Maybe this is an issue that'll get fixed when they add the defined pit slot feature. Because then there'll be no risk of being placed in the same pit as another player.
pitting after a crash is unrealistic ;P
Quote from Dajmin :Maybe this is an issue that'll get fixed when they add the defined pit slot feature. Because then there'll be no risk of being placed in the same pit as another player.

Where exactly does that happen? Never happend to me so far except when another car is already standing inside my pitbox
Well, joining inside a different car isn't really much of a problem, as it doesn't cause something really severe - it's just launching the cars through the air at 600km/h.

IIRC, in early versions there actually were crashes and/or server drops that happened when pitting while a player was connecting. It just seems like Scawen never had the time to properly figure out what the problem was and just prevented the situation from happening altogether, instead.
It doesn't happen for the reasons that AndroidXP said there.

But when you have defined pits the newest connecting player will automatically be assigned the lowest numbered free spot so they could remove the prevention system because that issue would be solved.
yeah, you ever tried to go a lap at any track togehter with someone else (car inside car via this spawn bug) ? Thats a challenge lol, esp when you try to go faster then 5 mph +/- or so (which is already quite fast for this situation )
Sorry, I don't think that has anything to do with the garage slots. It's stupidly easy to prevent garage slot double joining, and I can see no reason why Scawen would have to resort to such drastic methods to work around such a simple problem.
I never said it was related to the garage slots, I just said that having assigned slots would solve the issue!
I have thought about this before. LFS network code is pretty good. Maybe these are side efects of having a solid network code. Doesnt mean of course that it should stay like this forever. But If thats the reason for it or part of the reason for it, I can put up with it for the time being.
More frustrating is not being allowed to leave. PC's take long enough to shut down as it is, why must I wait before I can leave? It's like LFS is telling me what I can and cant do in real life!

LFS Demands, "NO! You will not leave! You will stay here and race dammit!"

Me, "I'm sorry!"
Quote from Bob Smith :What's the complete list?

Can't join server, player already connecting - that's fine
+
Can't ...vote (vote cancelled) - annoying
Quote from Hyperactive :Can't join server, player already connecting - that's fine
+
Can't ...vote (vote cancelled) - annoying

Cant Breath, Player Connecting
Cant go home from work ... player connecting
Cant Live .... Player connecting

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG