The online racing simulator
Would i be allowed to release this?
(23 posts, closed, started )
I made a tool that can increase the fuel load of a car to 255%. I made it so i could leave my AI running for long periods of time. However i just discovered that it can be used online as well. I dont really see how it could be useful in a proper race as it also increases the weight of the car by a huge amount but i thought i would just see what everyone thinks first.

So what do you lot think? Safe for release? Or should i try and figure out how to keep it offline only?
No. Definitely not safe for release. It would certainly turn the endurance leagues into a frenzy of paranoia about whether other people were secretly running 110-120% stints to give themselves the edge.

Would be safer to keep it to youself and just wait for the inevitable patch that fixes the AI.
#3 - OPK
Maybe show Scawen how it works online.
Only to prevent other ppl from using this
On the cars with small fuel tanks this could be very advantageous. It's only the working online part which makes me say no, so obviously it's not one of the variables checked when you join a server.
scawen will already know. The variable that holds the starting fuel is only checked when you move the slider. So i can set the starting fuel to any value the variable will hold. In this case its limited to 255 and the game doesnt realise this is beyond the limit of the car unless you touch the slider . So long as Scawen doesnt change this before we get some fast AI then im happy

Perhaps this now belongs in the bugs section
Quote from sil3ntwar :scawen will already know. The variable that holds the starting fuel is only checked when you move the slider. So i can set the starting fuel to any value the variable will hold. In this case its limited to 255 and the game doesnt realise this is beyond the limit of the car unless you touch the slider . So long as Scawen doesnt change this before we get some fast AI then im happy

Perhaps this now belongs in the bugs section

Couldn't this be solved by slicing the 100% into 255 steps? So if you set it to 255, you'll get just a full tank? Also, the smaller steps would allow for more precise fuel loads. I really love when I run out of gasoline just after crossing the finish line
The trouble is, now we know it's made, there is always the slight risk that it get's accidentally and quietly released - say by showing a friend, and that friend shows another friend.

So whatever you do not let ANYONE else touch a copy of it. Until Scawen makes the fuel system 'hack safe', then GO FOR IT!!!
Well, its not actually going to make a difference. How many people are going to be able to competitively race a 255% fuel load on one set of tyres and at decent laptimes?
#9 - Vain
It's not about the laptimes. It's about not having to stop in leagues and thus finishing first.

Vain
Quote from JamesF1 :Well, its not actually going to make a difference. How many people are going to be able to competitively race a 255% fuel load on one set of tyres and at decent laptimes?

:iagree:

Yes i agree.. But i dont think it should be released without an online fix.
Quote from Vain :It's not about the laptimes. It's about not having to stop in leagues and thus finishing first.

Vain

That's what the must-pit option is for then, isn't it?
Quote from JamesF1 :That's what the must-pit option is for then, isn't it?

But you can't force more than one pit stop, unless you "force" the stop using fuel load. Someone using this exploit could setup their fuel so that they only need one stop when everyone else needs two or more. You don't have to set it to 255% to have an advantage. Under the right circumstances, just a little more than 100% would be a huge advantage.
And running with the 255% fuel will hinder them enough for them to lose the time (as a race that required two pitstops would likely be nearly 2 hours in length) that it would take for another stop. It simply would not, under any circumstances currently available in LFS, prove a problem - at least not in any way I can see.
This mod could be useless if the Devs make the AI a little bit smarter. They should pit when they are running out of fuel and/or got serious damage. This must be fixed in S2, or the damage/fuel/tire factor will be useless in singelplayer. From the AI perspective that is.
dont worry guys im the only one with a copy. and i have no friends in the lfs world

I was doing some racing at the oval with 255% fuel . The car weighed about 900kg if i remember correctly. I couldnt take the last corner flat on a flying lap it kept breaking away from me. Also the top speed was down by about 10kph.

I might talk to fonnybone and see if he will tell me a value i could change to make it cause a mis-match when on a server. He knows more about this stuff than i do
Good plan :up:
#17 - Gunn
This allows you to exceed a default car setting while playing online. Therefore it has the potential to be used to gain an advantage beyond the normal limits of the car.

As a general rule, a mod that enables online or HLVC cheating will be disallowed by the devs.
You know you didn't have to tell everyone how to do it, sigh.
It would have been better to send this information to the devs
since it can be used online without detection from what i understand.
At least now we know and the people concerned will look into it.

I wouldn't release anything just yet.
i didnt tell anyone how to do it.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Under the right circumstances, just a little more than 100% would be a huge advantage.

Yeah, there are races when you need something like 220% fuel for the whole race. Normally you would need to make 2 pit stops, by modding your fuel to 120% you would only have to make 1 pit stop. This would give you a big advantage.
#21 - Tomi
Quote from colcob :No. Definitely not safe for release. It would certainly turn the endurance leagues into a frenzy of paranoia about whether other people were secretly running 110-120% stints to give themselves the edge.

In what kind of leagues are you racing ?
Quote from Tomi :In what kind of leagues are you racing ?

What do you mean? All the MRNL League races are usually set to be on the border of 1 or 2 pitstops so that we all don't go for the same strategy. I've seen other leagues where people have to make 3 or 4 pitstops. Imagine if everyone had to make 3 or 4 but you could make do with 2 (assuming tyres would last). So long as you don't lose too much time per lap you're onto an easy win.
Sorry but it's official now, this is not allowed here. This is considered
a cheat since it could be used online without detection and could be used
as an advantage, although it's more strategic and won't automatically
make you win, it sure can help.

Also, the general idea of having something others don't have and aren't
aware of for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage is just plain malicious
and not in keeping with the LFS mentality. This isn't something that belongs
on the official forums. I'm gonna lock the thread now. If anyone has any
objection feel free to PM me or any other moderator.
This thread is closed

(23 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG