The online racing simulator
XRT Blackwood; consistent race laptimes / setup?
Yo guys,

Being horrendously (sp) slow in LFS, I had a quick go in the XRT at Blackwood simply doing a 'test drive' with the WR setup (23.14 that was). I was struggling to get 26s before but with this setup and about 30 laps I managed to get into the 1:24s with a 1:24.97. Not great but I'm sure I can shave some more time off that arriving in the 'not really slow' 1.5 second off the pace category..

Now I have two 'issues' with this kind of hotlap setup:
1) tyres tend to heat up a bit too much; is that a tyre pressure thing?
2) brakes are 'ABS' as they tend to be too weak to lock the tyres.. What do people use for racing? I really like the idea of being able to lock the tyres as this makes braking more of a challenge. Or do most people use this "ABS" feature all the time?
#2 - garph
Less pressure means they are more grippy but heat up and wear faster.
More pressure means less grip but longer lasting.

If you don't like the brakes...change em! Plus ABS feature? It's just weak brakes (personal choice) not a feature!

p.s. A hotlap setup will be exactly that, 1 lap!
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :2) brakes are 'ABS' as they tend to be too weak to lock the tyres.. What do people use for racing? I really like the idea of being able to lock the tyres as this makes braking more of a challenge. Or do most people use this "ABS" feature all the time?

The WR is held by a mouse user, so brake force in his setup will be so low that the tyres never lock up.
also, less pressure=more drag....so you get much slower lap times(depending on how much pressure you take out)
Quote from [Matt] :also, less pressure=more drag....so you get much slower lap times(depending on how much pressure you take out)

Not if the track has corners you have to slow down for. Higher pressure does not equal faster laptimes - just a little more top speed on the straights.
I didn't realise that the drag from low tyre pressures was simulated in LFS yet. I guess I'll need to look into my setups (and then smack my brother for giving me wrong info )
Quote from AndroidXP :Not if the track has corners you have to slow down for. Higher pressure does not equal faster laptimes - just a little more top speed on the straights.

hah.
it also makes acclerating out of corners (depending on the pressure maybe ALOT) slower.
most notably (spelling?) in UF1 & XFG & XRG.

for the braking...for some tracks like blackwood i have braking help on (T1) to prevent tires from locking up, but when disabling this feature u get more (u really can notice the difference) brake force.
IMO id use it just on certain tracks with tricky brake points, or never if u have a very good feeling for the brake (i dont as i play with mouse! )
Seems more appropriate for the setups subforum.

And Dajmin - LFS tyres are very complex, just about everything is modelled.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG