The online racing simulator
Searching for a Name
(31 posts, started )
Searching for a Name
Hi guys,

Yet again I've a question about something that has nothing to do with LFS. However it is very important!

Two friends of mine and myself are working on a historical correct, html based game during our free time. I won't tell much about it yet cause soon we're hoping to release our béta!

We're hoping to release that very first béta before New Year, if the game isn't as we want it to be it will be later - something like with LFS, it has to be of a certain (high) quality before we release it. We're doing a lot of research for our 9 civ's from the years 400 - 1000 A.C who will be in the game and we are mixing certain concepts of other strategtical, hmtl and 3D based games with our own magical touch. All 3 of us are very experienced in games, even more in strategic games so... it is promising

So, working hard, getting closer to New Year we suddenly realised: we need a name! A short name, one word, good sounding, fluently speakable and it may be fictional. The civs we work with are Euroasian civ's, going from the Vikings to the Huns, to the Chinese, from the west of Europe to the East of Asia. Perhaps that can be something some of you can work with. More details? Wait for the béta

Is there any of you guys who can help us out or give us more inspiration for a name for our game ? Of course if we decide to pick that name or thanks to your proposal we found a name, we will mention you in the credits!

Many thanks in advance,
Renaat
Anthony
Gianni
Imperius? (Or does that sound too roman? - having said that I think the roman empire existed in some form or another in the 1000BC-400BC time frame you are talking about).
Or does he mean 1000BC-400AD? To be honest if it is 400BC, Rome wasn't much of an 'empire' then. Nor were there vikings then either, but I guess that's not the point in the game

I have no name suggestion right now. Partly because I know too little. Is it management or military or some other biased?

If you think I switch from Rome: Total War (RTR mod), it better be damn good.
Sorry mean after Christus, the fall of the Roman empire and the coming of many new civilications, opening many ways for us to introduce and use many aspects of history!

Comparing it to TW serie's isn't good... Frankly the TW series are just better (played them all too ) and hard work of an entire team for many years. Such thing isn't possible for us, we're honest and realistic in that. However that doesn't mean our game will be less fun! It will combine some elements of games such as Age of Empires or Age of Mythology (building economic with villagers, ect...), of course a military aspect such as in (for example) Travian or Quest to Glory - villagers are being made, resources need to be gathered by the villagers, with that you can build, research, expand and conquer - or set up your own lucrative trading empire. But don't forget diplomacy, real life diplomacy and not a AI who you just have to give enough money so he says 'I do agree'. Also it may contain elements like in the Civilication serie's. You see it sounds strange and complicated but once you see it in front of you it is acctually quiet simple. The way the game is being played isn't 100% defined yet - let it play on for 24/7 or do it with turns who (for example) take 1 hour or something entirely different, we aren't completely out of that mather. In other words: we're trying to mix the best of many old and new games we've played, in one game, too bad limitted by our own lack of technical knowledge we try to do our best and we aim for game enjoyement, over game graphics. Hopefully this is some more (very general :P) information, which perhaps can help you find a name. As you see the rts and building up factor is important.

'Imperius' is a nice proposal tho I'm afraid people will automaticly switch over to the "Roman Empire ... things". However I'll propose it to my college's and we'll see

Regards,
Gianni
#5 - ORION
Gianni the Conqueror

Empirical

Legions

Globalisation

Globalise

Europa

Assemblage
Via Nova.
Lax Gianni

HIStory

Teh evil dictator

And the real ones:
King's army
Dawn of time
Mediterranean dynasty (assuming the game takes place near the Mediterranean ocean)
Mediterrarian superhighway
Veni, Vidi, Vici
Curia Regis
Per capita

Also
Quote from GianniC :Sorry mean after Christus, the fall of the Roman empire and the coming of many new civilications, opening many ways for us to introduce and use many aspects of history!

So it is supposted to be realistic to some level? Maybe the vikings should be named to 'celts', 'barbarians' or something like that. Those work for the whole timeline in the game while vikings started their trips something like 700-800AD.

Quote from GianniC :
Comparing it to TW serie's isn't good... Frankly the TW series are just better (played them all too ) and hard work of an entire team for many years. Such thing isn't possible for us, we're honest and realistic in that.

He heh. No worry, it can be entertaining otherwise too. But make the diplomacy better than in TW, where it sucks

Quote from GianniC :
'Imperius' is a nice proposal tho I'm afraid people will automaticly switch over to the "Roman Empire ... things". However I'll propose it to my college's and we'll see

I think 'imperius' is english, not latin. Another version of it could be 'imperia' as plural if it is in the meaning of 'empires'. Or if it means kind of the power to rule then the form 'imperius' does make more sense. The word 'empires' would be more modern version and doesn't sound so much latin. (my latin is bit rusty so I do not guarantee 'imperius' couldn't be latin too.)
Yes it surely will be realistic to a certain level, that's why we're doing a lot of library research about our civ's, units (Like for example: Romans: they had no archers but slingers! A common mistake in every game... we don't want such mistakes in our game.)

Well we started from a certain timeline but the more we continued in our work we were thinking: why stick to a timeline ? Nobody in game has a certain fun factor of it. So we have chosen civ's from different erea's on our timeline. It can sounds strange perhaps, but it's just the same as in Age of Empires, or Age of Mytholgy, .. games. But don' worry, things will be equal balanced.

The diplomacy will certainly be better: it's online, there is no AI where you need to ask (beg ?) for peace, but other humans. I think you already know then how important diplomacy will be... not to mention spionage
I know I stay very general about our game, but I think you can do get an image of what it will contain sort of, and if I want to say more I'll be busy typing for hours and hours...

We talked some about it an come to this opinions:

-Imperius is < from the Latin, but is also common in English. Imperius we'll keep in our mind.
-Imperia is already taken as a name for a game so... Too bad.
-King's army - already has been chosen for a game
-Dawn of time - 2nd choise - perhaps mix it with Empires ?
-Mediterranean dynasty - Mediterranean isn't good: no special location for map
-Mediterrarian superhighway - see above ^^
-Veni, Vidi, Vici - too Roman
-Curia Regis - too Roman
-Per capita - perhaps...3rd choise
-Empirical - don't think this is good
-Legions - too Roman
-Globalisation - too long
-Globalise - hmm.. not sure about it, sounds with a negative influence, don't think this is good
-Europa - already chosen for a game
-Assemblage - don't think this is good

Sorry for the harsh criticism
I have to admit: I can't find any better name... The name isn't them most important - balancing the civ's and economics is our priority for the béta, then working at the diplomacy and then as last searching a name and the other surplis work. But I already wanted to find a name.. Sounds better then "our project".

Thanks for the kind help, if can come up with more...
Dilato < means expand
Genero < means create

Andy.
#12 - Vain
Dark Wars.
Lost Empire.
Something along those lines.

That's because the era of 400 to 800 AC is often referred to as the dark age, because of it's lack of historical documents.
By the way, when I name programs I often alter other words to fit my game. F.e. I called a 2d-game where you command a small submarine around and kill each other "Digital Submarines", because abbrevated that's "D-Sub", which is the name of the VGA-interface (the old analogue monitor-connector).

Vain
"Like for example: Romans: they had no archers but slingers. A common mistake in every game... we don't want such mistakes in our game."

Oh great, now we have a subject we can talk for months!
True for "true" romans. But but... Romans hired local mercenaries across mediterranean especially when their empire grew in size. So they did use archers, but not really romans (from the area around Rome = Latium) (what 'roman' means also depends on time as more people got roman citizenship). Same thing for many other units like war elephants. What true roman units they had depends also on time. The worst thing is that 1000BC there was no Rome so dunno what units they should have I think the whole thing is very well inplemented in R:TW "Rome Total Realism" mod.

So are you implementing all Roman units with proper timelines and implement mercenary system?
Quote from Aquilifer :
So are you implementing all Roman units with proper timelines and implement mercenary system?

No, why should we ?
We have no Romans in our game.

Return of the cookie warriors?

The pink legion?

small tip:
dont use the words "war" and "dawn", there are like ZILLIONS of games with names like that... war of dawn, dawn of war, dawn attack, dawn war, war of the dawn, war dawn blaahh
:P

A good name for a game must be special... like Rayman, Alan Wake, Max Payne, Quake, FEAR, Doom, Splinter Cell, Blobby Volley... etc
Quote from ORION :small tip:
dont use the words "war" and "dawn", there are like ZILLIONS of games with names like that... war of dawn, dawn of war, dawn attack, dawn war, war of the dawn, war dawn blaahh

I know, that's why I'm asking here.. the more people think about a name, the more chance there is someone says something original and not the "usual" war game names.

What you suggest Orion is very good, really good...
but too damn long
Invicta

Meaning HERE
Multiculti (you can also chant it at the top of your voice)

or, if you prefer something more war oriented:

Polemic

then there's always the generic:

Timeline
Antiquity
Silk Road
Terra Firma
Shadows of Time

all i've got right now, only having a vague sense of what the game is
out of mere local patriotism i sugggest some name connected to the frankish empire (cant really think of one though)
Super Lesbian Erotica.

Sure, it makes no sense, but will you say that when the games have sold 1,000,001 copies? Bait and switch!
To keep you guys updated, we've found a name !

"Mytholia"

Atm our site is up, www.mytholia.com and our forum. First béta server starts 1st of july after 8 months of documentating, coding, ect... Atm everything is in Dutch, the help us, creators in fixing things fast. Always handier to express what you mean in mother language then in a foreign language. But.... no sorrow, if all go's well English and French servers will also be opened, no time estimate about that - guessing 1,5 year tho.

Regards,
GC
theres no english version?? i want to understand ... btw nice name and nice start pic

Searching for a Name
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG