The online racing simulator
More Skin Upload Slots
(18 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
More Skin Upload Slots
One thing i wish we could do is have more skin upload slots, i understand that they cost more, but i would be willing to pay to have them. An extra source of income for the devs, perhaps?
+1.

20p per extra skin upload slot should do it
+1
i had this idea for two months now
+1 10 extra i think would be enouth
#5 - aoun
But does LFSworld.net have enough space to hold 20 per car, for loads of skinners? if so, +1! .
2 or 3 per car should be more than enough for most people. I've filled my 36 slots and have at least one for every car now, with some cars having extras.

The problem is going to come when more cars are added - we're either going to need to delete some skins or have more slots added.

+1 for this.

Just had a thought - team skins should be hosted seperately when you register the team. The leader could then upload and assign skins to each member, meaning that each of those members doesn't need to use up spaces with their team skin.
Hmm....I VERY rarely use more than one skin per car, and when I do it just the team skin with a league banner/logo on it.

Why on earth would people want 10 slots per car?, seems mad to me, just how many skins can you use at once?.

Dan,
#8 - Davo
I don't see the point either. I already hate having to download 20+ skins each time I connect to a server.
The number of skins you have to download on joining wouldn't change, since you only download the one for the active car. The only time you'd download more than one per player is if they switch cars or skins mid-race.
Downloading doesn't bother me, because I like to see what people do with their paint jobs and I have a 2mb connection anyway.

Some people should be banned from making skins at all, but that's another issue entirely

Here's a justification for having 3 skins per car:
1. Team skin (for team competitions)
2. Personal skin (for non-team competitions and public servers)
3. Event skin (if a particular event requires a specific skin or advertising)

I know that most people who have a team skin use it all the time, but sometimes people feel like a change.
#10 - Davo
Why can't one skin just be replaced by the other and reuploaded. If you don't mind downloading them I'm sure uploading a skin isn't a problem either. People changing skins constantly would piss me right off having to download the new skin all the time each time they change. It's not a beauty pageant we're here to race. And for leagues and teams the skins are usuall provided to download in 1024 or larger before the race so that you don't have to download them.
Problem with that is it's a hassle to minimize the game, load a browser, find the skin, upload it (which isn't fast anyway) then get back to the game and change to the skin. In fact, the last time I tried to upload a skin during a race it kept telling me it wasn't found on the LFSW server.

Also, sometimes you might want to change a skin because someone is using one that looks similar, or in the case of public skins, maybe the same one. Therefor to avoid confusion (and on public servers the risk of kicking/banning the wrong person if something happens) you can just pit and change. It's been said before that the wrong person has been kicked because they had a similar coloured car.

If you don't want to have to download other people's skins, disable auto-downloading - that's what the option is there for. It might not be a beauty contest, but if we weren't supposed to be able to skin the cars, the option wouldn't be there.
#12 - Davo
You can always upload the team skin when your team race is on before the race no need to upload during an actual race. It's upto the admin to kick the right person if it's a vote kick I find most people like to vote and not even know what they're voting for.

The problem is all the cars are white without a skin, they don't get assigned unique colours.

I don't not want skins, I just don't want 20million different skins being available to change them on a whim to slow my game down when I'm racing and have to download a skin.
I think if a couple of 400k files are slowing down your game you have serious problems In fact, you should be glad of it - the only way to change a skin is to Shift+S so you gain a place every time someone does it

Team skins for organised team events are a bit different. If it's a league and the option is there to share your skin before the event, that's fine. But the vast majority of races are public servers where this is not possible.
Quote from Dajmin :Here's a justification for having 3 skins per car:
1. Team skin (for team competitions)
2. Personal skin (for non-team competitions and public servers)
3. Event skin (if a particular event requires a specific skin or advertising)

I have a team skin for every car.
I have a couple of personal skins for a few of the cars.
I have three helmets, two of which are old ones I keep on there for others replays.
I have space for a few league special skins (but haven't plucked up the courage to ask T7R's skinner to make me one yet).

Who needs a personal skin for every car if you're in a team? Wouldn't you be using team colours 99% of the time? And who needs league special skins for each car? How many people enter that many leagues at once!

36 is way more than anyone needs at the moment. Maybe add 1.5 (rounded up) for every new car added to the sim.
I got no team () but I imagine if I did I'd normally use those skins (unless they really sucked). And to be honest there's a few skins I have uploaded right now that I wouldn't mind deleting to make room for others.

I'm just trying to show that there are plenty of reasons people might want more skin slots, even if we don't necessarily subscribe to them. I'd be happy with more slots, but as long as I have one for each car I'm fine.
Well, anything to make the devs more money is a good thing, so +1! The richer the devs get, the more features we get...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Not a bad idea...

I think car slots are enough but it has been suggested many times the suits and garages (at least the sigh over the garage) to be skinned. Maybe for a price you could upload those skins. A full field of 20 cars + 20 helmets + 20 suits + 20 garages can be a bit tricky, but that's another topic.
Yeah, Kev is right. His skins are awful

---
I guess the main issue is, how easy or hard it is to implement it in LFSworld...

More Skin Upload Slots
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG