The online racing simulator
FM Oval V8 Xsiv
(49 posts, started )
Its just friggin annoying when you crash _every_ time at the start of the race, with just enough damage to not being able to drive properly
I am admin number 3 for FM, after the founders... Those who race on XSIV will know me...

Quote from wildz0r :Couldn't agree more. I found myself having to block messages on this server a few days ago, because as well as forcing the message to flash in the middle of everyone's screen at the start of the race, the admins would flood the server (possibly causing an unnecessary accident at the same time).

Sure, kick someone if they're genuinely sitting on the racing line, but don't distract everyone by spamming the server, and don't enforce silly rules for the sake of enforcing them.

Generally, safety messages/rules are posted at the end of a race (For the start of the next), or periodically during a race, when a violation of rules occours. (Somone crashes, spins in the track, the 'Shift+S or ban' message pops up).

There are 7 rule messages in use on the XSIV server. I'm more than willing to share them with you here, i fyou like.

Why do we show these? To remind people of them. People need reminding, because people forget.. Too quickly. Blue flaggers racing with leaders, sitting on the track because you are too busy saying 'you idiot' in chat... These are unexcusable, and people are removed for it.

Generally speaking, I warn once, force to spectate, then if further offences are made, I kick. Any more, and it's a 24hr ban. If you do it just to give us 'the finger', you get a week ban.

-

Furthermore, if you are unable or unwilling to obey rules, you should go elsewhere. And if you don't like being reminded of the rules, go elsewhere. And I, for one, am fed up of people saying "These people aren't fair". You do not pay for the use of our server, so bear in mind it is a privilidge, not a 'right'. You have no 'right' to play, we simply allow you to.

We have a regular contigent of drivers on the XSIV server who are fully capable of obeying rules, and enjoy the racing. We run private servers for these drivers, in a pleasent environment, with no mass-rule posting, and no multi-restarts due to incapable launchers. XSIV server is like it is because of the ones who are unable to drive properly. Blame them, not us.

There are many teams who use our server and throughally enjoy the experience. If you don't like it, find another server, and don't waste our time with your complaining about 'abuse of admin'.

- Spider.
Quote from BlackSpider :I am admin number 3 for FM, after the founders... Those who race on XSIV will know me...

Generally, safety messages/rules are posted at the end of a race (For the start of the next), or periodically during a race, when a violation of rules occours. (Somone crashes, spins in the track, the 'Shift+S or ban' message pops up).

There are 7 rule messages in use on the XSIV server. I'm more than willing to share them with you here, i fyou like.

Why do we show these? To remind people of them. People need reminding, because people forget.. Too quickly. Blue flaggers racing with leaders, sitting on the track because you are too busy saying 'you idiot' in chat... These are unexcusable, and people are removed for it.

Generally speaking, I warn once, force to spectate, then if further offences are made, I kick. Any more, and it's a 24hr ban. If you do it just to give us 'the finger', you get a week ban.

-

Furthermore, if you are unable or unwilling to obey rules, you should go elsewhere. And if you don't like being reminded of the rules, go elsewhere. And I, for one, am fed up of people saying "These people aren't fair". You do not pay for the use of our server, so bear in mind it is a privilidge, not a 'right'. You have no 'right' to play, we simply allow you to.

We have a regular contigent of drivers on the XSIV server who are fully capable of obeying rules, and enjoy the racing. We run private servers for these drivers, in a pleasent environment, with no mass-rule posting, and no multi-restarts due to incapable launchers. XSIV server is like it is because of the ones who are unable to drive properly. Blame them, not us.

There are many teams who use our server and throughally enjoy the experience. If you don't like it, find another server, and don't waste our time with your complaining about 'abuse of admin'.

- Spider.

i can sign all of ur points. but in my case i DID NOT caused a crash nor i was standing on track. no warning or any hint what i did wrong.

dunno what ban i got but its no 1day ban
The rules seem fair to me, and they should be able to run their server how they wish. The situations with accidental bans are unfortunate, but I'm sure they can be rectified. I do find it nice to be able to race there, with admins, as opposed to other servers with no admins there.
Quote from Lightsaver :i can sign all of ur points. but in my case i DID NOT caused a crash nor i was standing on track. no warning or any hint what i did wrong.

dunno what ban i got but its no 1day ban

I have no idea what occoured in your situation, but if you wish to truly dispute the ban, you need to do it on our website, not the LFS Forums. We welcome well put-forth disputes against bans, and I, for one, have lifted bans following a dispute. Just don't use 'Dragons' dispute as an example of how to make these complaints.

As a final note, there is no reason whatsoever for FM admins to explain themselves on this forum, or any other forum. We will run the server how we see fit, and if we kill it, that's our problem - not yours, and not this forum's problem.

- Spider.
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
#31 - th84
funny stuff here!!!!!! lmfao! i do agree that u have a right to run ur server the way u choose. im just glad all servers arent ran like this one. this game would be pretty boring with no one to race with!! im sure ill get called some names and told im a s*** driver like the rest of the people that say anything about this server, but thats ok, i dont have to worry about getting banned!!!!!!! some things that i think would help... 1. get rid of the barriers for pit road, they just make for a more laggy server, they are great for events, but not really needed for 8 lap races!! the mid-race join feature would stop any problems with people entering the track!!. 2. stop all the spamming, i can see why there are so many wrecks!! 3. someone give the [fm] guys some mary jane, i think it will lighten them up a little!! 4. try something other than the oval!!! thats just my opionion! let the name calling begin!!!!!
Quote from EvenSiS :
It angers me to find people bitching and moaning

Well that's what angers me about one of your admins, who hasn't posted here. I do not see the need in having one message being repeated 6 times. I have nothing against any of the other admins and would be quite prepared to race on this server if it wasn't for my screen being flooded by an over-enthusiastic admin to say the least.
As I said to DragonFire on the FM forums.. You don't like it, go elsewhere. We don't force you to use our server. If it's *that* bad, why are you all on it anyway? If you don't agree/like our rules, and the way we operate *OUR* server, which *WE* run, then don't use it. Simple, really.
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
#34 - th84
i think the thread in ur forum tells it all!!
I will reply a final time, for one simple purpose...

1) When I post a message on this forum, I will do my very best to write in a polite manner and not use foul language and / or insult an individual or group of people.

Followed by:

5) I realise that if I ignore this agreement, I risk being denied access to this forum.

In the LFSForum rules.

Seems ignorance and inability to follow rules is a common trait.
#36 - th84
if i insulted u, im sorry, i didnt intend to do that. ive re-read my posts and dont see where i did, but if i offended u , for that im sorry.

Quote : Seems ignorance and inability to follow rules is a common trait.

not sure i get that one!! it dont really seem respectful!
My posts were not ment as an insult and if they have been taken that way then I appologise, I was simply describing the actions as being noobish, not trying to imply that anyone was a noob. Having been on this server tonight it seems the issues are no longer present.
O come on guys!! No one is forcing you to run the FM server. Its a few rules to follow, im sure you can do that. Its simple really, wreck-pit, if your mad, pit, then start the name calling. But dont get mad you got banned when you wreck, and try to get you car going again in the middle of the track. As for the rule displaying, people just dont seem to get them the 1st, 2nd 3rd or 4th times, they'll just keep posting them until you get it. 1 Important one though, BLUE FLAG means MOVE OVER FOR THE LEADERS, unless otherwise told so (another team member capable of giving a push with clean racing and the ability to give the leaders priority at any given time)! I was watching a race and saw the top three get taken out 1 by 1 in the final 3 laps in 3 different occasions by noobs coming into the track 7 laps down without the slightest effort to slow down. Frankly, if you were in our situation and was getting wrecked by blind racers, you'd be fed up too. So stop complaining unless it is trully legitimate, and there are many of those instances, and once again, if you dont like their rules then noone if forcing you. I have been racing there for a long time - never got banned or kicked, when i wreck i pit, and i mostly get wrecked by people who don't listen to the rules. That's all i have to say, and i know I'm going to get yelled at for it, but, whatever.
From what I see here, people seem to be at odds with the different rules and mindsets on different servers, this is obviously because servers are run/hosted/admin'ed by either individuals or in some cases a team will take joint responsibility.
In any case, different servers will have different rules. Since the latest patch, there is now the possibility to show a message on the loading screen when joining a server; I would suggest that:

a) More admins use this function to lay out the ground-rules for their servers..
and
b) People take the trouble to read them, and abide by the wishes of the hosts!

I will admit that you dont get a lot of time to read these messages, but maybe in future patches a configurable delay could be implemented (I know, that could go into the suggestions thread!)
I myself have had occasion to ban people from my own server, in the 'welcome message' it quite clearly states that the server exists for the benefit of our JUNIOR users, and that swearing and bad behaviour will not be tolerated (which I dont feel to be harsh!) well, on one occasion I warned a 'visitor' to respect our rules and to moderate his language...to which I was told to 'F*** Off!'...is it any surprise that he got hit with an indefinate ban?
Rules are always a PITA to somebody, but I have yet to come across any rule, anywhere, that is not in place for a reason, albeit if it does seem to be a silly rule!
Simple conclusion...RESPECT THE RULES!
Quote from BlackSpider :I have no idea what occoured in your situation, but if you wish to truly dispute the ban, you need to do it on our website, not the LFS Forums. We welcome well put-forth disputes against bans, and I, for one, have lifted bans following a dispute. Just don't use 'Dragons' dispute as an example of how to make these complaints.

As a final note, there is no reason whatsoever for FM admins to explain themselves on this forum, or any other forum. We will run the server how we see fit, and if we kill it, that's our problem - not yours, and not this forum's problem.

- Spider.

Its your bat and ball and you can take it home anytime you wish...

Spider you invite the general public onto "your" server when you make it a public server, dont cry foul when the people you have just invited dont play the way you like them to, if it bothers you so much make the damn server private...
"Flogging a dead horse" springs to mind.

Its a simple fact of life; Administrators and Users rarely see eye to eye in any circumstance. For instance whilst a user may think its ok to use company resources to backup their iTunes store, as an Administrator I think its unacceptable.

Without wanting to be derogatory, Users take liberties where-ever possible because what they use is "free".
It can take me several seconds to reach shift-s because of the position of my keyboard when the wheel is out, it's why sometimes i'm very quiet online - or am slow to act on a vote or something.

For me shift-s is a realism killer, although I perfectly understand why oval junkies has it as a local rule. I'm of the mindset that car reset should be banned and that you should only be able to access the pitscreen after driving back to your pit box, and if you want to clear up a wreckage you have to enter spectate mode and your car is removed 2 minutes later, where upon you can then rejoin the racing.

Of course this can't work on the oval as is, ideally it needs a safety car system and full course yellows. It's bad enough in other LFS tracks that the yellow flag warnings seem very short ranged on ocassion compared to real racing, but on the oval the standard yellow flag system used in other racing doesnt even do the job in the real thing. Consequently they have the shift-s rule, and it's perfectly understandable that it is vigorously enforced.

I know oval racers are often credited with the same joyful bliss of "real" racing as drifters are, but I think that is unfair. It's a different discipline which involves different skills.

I would like to do oval racing, but I dont like the shift-s approach to racing. I may do a little of it if LFS ever gets full course yellows and safety cars.
what really p's me off is when your on a circuit and a decent fast racer gets taken out by a crashed car in a tight spot such as the chicane at south city and then they rant and rave about it whilst remaining on the track themselves.

another thing is when you come across a wreck and slow or stop and the idiot behind decides he cant / won't wait and either hits you hard or pushes you into the crash. a variation on this is when on lap 1 at south city and i've slowed to about 75 in chicane because the cars in front are going that speed and some idiot comes barreling through at full speed and hits me and then goes into 1 about me going too slow
bah.. thats nothing

lets talk about the idiots trying to get 2 or .. (omg.. 3) wide going into the city's chicane.. ya.. how retarded can you be

its impossible to get 2 of anything through there at the same time, ya you can fit 2 MRT's in there.. try going even a slow 50mph and see if you make it out.. uhuh.. ya, now what are these fools in BF1s and FOXs trying to do?!

wreckers can be bad, but lately i've noticed all the fools just sitting around on the track
okay.. just sitting there, not on the actual track, just off to the side of it usually after a spin at the end of a turn, but instead they just sit there.. for the whole race, and then to find out you cant concentrate on that turn because you got a damn car sitting there and you dont know what they are goign to do every single lap.. until they do move and then you yourself crash and its just freaking annoying
cant we have a setting on servers so any car that doesnt move for a set period of time is bumped to spectator. apart from the "parkers" it would solve the problem of cars standing at start because their driver isnt at pc.

an aside from this is that a couple of times ive been in spectate and when restart has happended i've found my self on grid. and i've seen it happen to othe racers. luckily i've noticed in time to either jump back to spectate or jump on controls but its a bit disconcerting
Shift+S should be not be allowed on circuit racing and possibly long oval races, a simulation, crashes should be avoided as in real races, but for the Oval Junkies/Xsiv server the races are only 8 laps, less than 5 minutes, if you crash, your race is ruined, but if you stay on track, more than likely you will ruin someone elses race... it's only 5 minutes inbetween restarts so Shift+S'ing in these short races should be done for the enjoyment of the majority....
i think it should be like GP1? and.. i believe GP2 had it, but its been so freaking long i cant remember, also indycar racing 2 i think had it where the safety trucks and crane pull you off track

man i still cant believe i played GP1 and enjoyed it, i remember hte graphics being.. good or atleast there being textures or something, i look at it now and.. its blocks
..its free now too lol
http://www.abandonia.com/games ... oad/Formula1GrandPrix.htm

omg.. back in the days when games were on floppy disks holy crap, the whole game is 3.8 mb.. freaking amazing
loved grand prix1

bought my amiga 500 + to play it

got 2 3 and 4 somewhere but somehow 1 seems better
Quote from Bladerunner :
In any case, different servers will have different rules. Since the latest patch, there is now the possibility to show a message on the loading screen when joining a server; I would suggest that:

a) More admins use this function to lay out the ground-rules for their servers..
and
b) People take the trouble to read them, and abide by the wishes of the hosts!

I will admit that you dont get a lot of time to read these messages, but maybe in future patches a configurable delay could be implemented

I like the idea of preloading screen - with multigame screen buttons under ESC: to join, pit or exit (and option to show on/off at connection screen). It could have a default layout with for textbox only: rules and wishes ... or that could even be mostly fully invention free with some obligatory elements in respect to LFS - I can see ppl from "edited pics" thread veeery busy
Quote from Bladerunner :(I know, that could go into the suggestions thread!)

right!

FM Oval V8 Xsiv
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG