The online racing simulator
DB9/DB25/USB Servo controller
(11 posts, started )
I want to buy a servo controller, and I only need about 4 servos max. I want to find a Serial (DB9/DB25) interface one, or a USB interface one, whichever is cheaper. Also, it can't be more then $25USD. I am planning on using outguage to make my own set of guages. Yes, I already know how to use UDP. I will be doing the programming in python. All I have to learn in python is COM ports and such. I would probally use futaba servos. Oh, and it has to be a company that my parents will trust. I just now convinced my mom that Paypal is legit, lmao.

Sorry if someone has already asked this, but I did search, and found no actual thread about this.

EDIT: Oops, there was sort of a thread about this. But, http://www.phidgets.com/ is too expensive.
I would be very interested to hear of such a USB controller as well - I have an old Audi 80 cluster waiting for me to throw a couple of small servo's in if it can be done without too much cost.
RS232/DB9 might be cheaper then USB, and more compact, i personally prefer it because it is so simple compared to USB.
#4 - lyd
I've looked into this a bit and, afaik, for $25 you are looking at building something from scratch, based on a basic stamp or some other sort of PIC, with mostly scavenged components.

lyd
#6 - lyd
Sweet! Nice find.

lyd
I am thinking of using USB to power it. Because, a USB port is 5V @ 250mA. So, if I make the servo power and the controller power in a parallel circuit, then they both will get 5V because voltage stays the same in parallel. Only problem is that RT cannot be less then 20 ohms. If it was, then the current would be higher then 250mA, not very good for my computer.... So I guess that means if I put a 20ohm resistor in series with my current divider circuit, the current would not be able to go above 250mA. Although, to be safe I could put like a 25ohm resistor there.

EDIT: Oh, and I dont know how to attatch the wires to the controller.
You mean the wires between the servo & the controller? Servo's use a standard 3 pin plug, normally referred to as JR compatible. Sweet find btw, now to find out if they ship international..
Quote from Rtsbasic :You mean the wires between the servo & the controller? Servo's use a standard 3 pin plug, normally referred to as JR compatible. Sweet find btw, now to find out if they ship international..

No, between the controller and +5V out from a voltage divider. I need to have 5V for the servo power, and 5V for the controller power. I want to create a voltage divider on solderless breadboard, and use a 9V battery. I also need to find a 9V battery terminal/plug/connector/etc....
#10 - lyd
What's the advantage of doing all that instead of just powering the stuff from a cheap +5v "wall wart" transformer?

lyd
If you'd like it to be battery powered, 4 decent rechargable NIMH AA's will run 4.8-4.9v which is fine for the servo and should also be perfectly fine for the circuit. Thus no voltage divider needed, and the AA holders can be had for around £1.00 as they're very common in nitro RC's to power the servo's etc. You can run servo's off as low as 3-4v if necessary as I've found out from RC.

Personally if/when I go ahead with it, I'll use mains power. Its only one more cable running down the back of the desk.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG