The online racing simulator
human damage?
(30 posts, started )
human damage?
maybe having human damage to increase peoples awareness of wallsillepall
more carefull turn ones?
like on that uhh alpha romeo game? that was an interesting game (in a good way i think) deffinetly went for the physical and mental effects on a driver .. pretty cool; anyone remember the name of that game?
Quote from XCNuse :like on that uhh alpha romeo game? that was an interesting game (in a good way i think) deffinetly went for the physical and mental effects on a driver .. pretty cool; anyone remember the name of that game?

SCAR was it, the only problem is that it gobbles resources (my shitty system can run LFS, SCAR is rather bad on it).

But it would be difficult to simulate the effects of concussion, so -1 due to impracticality from me.
rofl (at the end part)

ya SCAR recalls a name; mine could run it okay.. still is an interesting concept, im wondering if anyone else in the business will ever catch onto that side of it all
...right..just imagine "You are dead" title when a wrecker shows at s2 ..demo would be full of corpses.....

wrong idea for racing simulator.
Yeah. I've thought about an idea similar to this before, but I always end up chucking it.

Rather than a "You are dead" message, I always invisioned the screen just fading to red or black.

The major issues I've always had with it, are as follows:

Pitting and unpitting should fix it, but then it becomes just sort of silly. After all, people pit and unpit for less serious things all the time. It wouldn't become too much of a deterant.

Until the damage model is improved on, its got some serious flaws. The idea behind the roll cage is to provent the cockpit from crushing the driver, however the rollcage bends in the current damage model. This allows 'helmet clipping', would would result in instant 'driver damage'.

Game rating might take a hit. I don't know how that works, but I suspect any video game which attempts to simulate the effect of human injury might recieve a less than E rating. One of the great appeals of a racing simulator is: Its non-violent (in concept). You're compeating, not trying to break into a building to shoot up a dozen badguys. It breeds sportsmanship, not violent tendencies. If you could 'hurt' the other drivers by ramming them... well, lets just say I've seen games get more restrive ratings for less.

Also, when the damage model DOES get improved, what happens when a projectile punctures the windshield on the driver's side? Ugly.

My vote?
#7 - dev
How about this You hit a wall with 200+ kmh, you die, and your S2 account dies with you
Quote from dev :How about this You hit a wall with 200+ kmh, you die, and your S2 account dies with you

No more record hunters by driven kilometers in empty servers - But millionaire hotlappers
There are no huge g-force corners in LFS right now, but it'd be cool to have a gradual whiteout as you lost consciousness due to the forces

Also, I guess some kind of visibility things would simulate human damage. Like during and shortly after a roll you have blurred vision to simulate dizziness or concussion. It could fade after a few seconds.

I know that they can both be done in Dx8 too, so no massive rewrite needed.

Of course that might encourage more crashing than it discourages, so that people can see the effects
Quote from Dajmin :There are no huge g-force corners in LFS right now, but it'd be cool to have a gradual whiteout as you lost consciousness due to the forces

Interesting idea, but a few points (er, I mean questions):

Isn't it blackout, not whiteout? I was under the impression that blackouts happen when the g-forces down cause the heart to be unable to pump enough blood to the brain, causing a lack of conciousness. Red-outs are when the G-Forces up are so high, the blood collects and the pressure increases until blood vessels in your eyes start bursting. I may be wrong, so I'd have to look into it. Maybe cite some sources.

Secondly, I seriously, seriously doubt a race car can produce enough G-Forces in any direction to cause blackouts or redouts (unless my whole point is invalid and whiteouts are some other thing). Is there any precident of this happening?

Thirdly, don't diffrent people have diffrent tolerances towards G-Forces and blackouts? How would you simulate something thats diffrent in every person? Take an average? Best case senerio (like I think driver weight is done)?
#11 - VoiD
Plus there are techniques to avoid blackouts that are used by pilots, and antiG suits can be worn, hey are many variables, but this isn't something that needs to be in a racing simulator, by the time you hit the point where G-Forces begin affecting you that much you will be unconcious!

Black and red outs only occur under pro-longed exposure to the situation, no corner will produce that much G-Force for long enough!
@Shinrar
Before you actually lose consciousness, low blood pressure causes your vision to go white. Just ask anyone who stands up too quickly (I'm one of them ) - I assume the term "blackout" comes from the actual loss of consciousness.

And yes, as Thorvertonian said, cars don't produce nearly enough speed to cause those kind of forces. But I never suggested fully losing consciousness, just a graphical version of the effects changing pressure can have on vision.

By no means a feature that we're in need of, but maybe if people had trouble seeing what they were doing it might discourage them from doing these things. And it all adds to the immersion
He is right, under extreme circumstances, the olny effect on your vision is actually blackout or redout, (Blackout result of blood being pushed away from head - as when you feint) or redout when blood is forced into your head and the blood vessels in the eye expand (They don't actually burst)...

A white-out as when you sand up isn't actually anything to do with vision, it's your head ignoring the visual imputs as it's got confused as to where you are
#15 - Jakg
Not true - Blackout is as the blood drains from the eyes, you are conscious, you just cant see!

A read out is as too much blood builds up in your eyes you see red, and too much force either way and you loose consciousness

Not sure a car can make that much force though
I stand corrected (but slowly)
Blackouts and redouts also only happen in the vertical direction afaik. I've heard of a case with IRL where they had to stop racing a certain oval course because some of the drivers were getting close to blacking out with the banking on the track, but can't confirm it.
Since all cars are built to get destroyed before the the driver gets, we dont need human damage. All we need is an proper damage model (for the cars)
Our Bodies would need to be wired with the Game so LFS can send us Electro Shocks to the parts of our bodies who got hurt in the Crash. Resulting in real life pain and injuries.

You think thats Bull?

Lets talk about it again in the year 2020
Quote from George Kuyumji :Our Bodies would need to be wired with the Game so LFS can send us Electro Shocks to the parts of our bodies who got hurt in the Crash. Resulting in real life pain and injuries.

You think thats Bull?

Lets talk about it again in the year 2020

I like the electro shock treatment It would really incourage less wrecking. IF somone DID wreck you they would be worried that you would get pissed off and wreck them back.

The only problem there would be that some people like me would have to really crank up the power to stop the laughing and start the pain.
Quote from rcpilot :Blackouts and redouts also only happen in the vertical direction afaik. I've heard of a case with IRL where they had to stop racing a certain oval course because some of the drivers were getting close to blacking out with the banking on the track, but can't confirm it.

Texas motor speedway, Fort Worth, Dallas, Texas. Year 2001. CART (not IRL)

"CART drivers refused to compete Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway over safety issues, saying G forces almost twice as high as normal were causing vision and hearing problems."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c ... 001/04/29/cart_cancel_ap/
with this g-force thing you there should be an option to fix the view on a server to "driver view" and the head should shake when hitting a curb

imo driver-view should be the only possibility in the game for racing
Our eyes are going to be screwed after a few hours of racing a week, over the course of LFS' product life time. Isn't that enough?!
Way to rake through the thread grave-yard!
it can be good if there are an heart-meter, with the pulse of heart the driving change the adrenaline and reflex in the game.. like wrong braking ecc..

human damage?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG