The online racing simulator
#26 - mr_x
the origional Outrun... I think I was about 4 or 5
Quote from Bob Smith :Would have been early 1995 - so I was 10 - I started getting into gaming with my first edition of PC Powerplay (issue 3). As to the game, I've no idea. Either the original NFS or ICR2 would have been the first "sim" surely, but I suspect I had played a good few arcade racers by then, Wacky Wheels and the like.

Wacky Wheels Didn't think anyone else would know it. Fun, fun FUN!
well i guess i was 5; and F1GP was also my first racing game i ever played (not my first game, but first racing game) .. raced with a joystick i remember cause my dad still has the old ugly joystick in his garage

i remember turning around when i got bored and causing chaos on the track
Although Indianapolis 500 was my first racing game, i never really understood how to play it because i was maybe 7 or 8 when i had it, dont recall, but nascar racing 2/1999 was the first racing sim i was really hardcore into, for yeaaars, then GPL came out and it was all uphill or downhill from there, whichever way you look at it
I don't know what it was called but a friend of mine had a car racing game which looked like a usual computer racing wheel.(think of a momo and make the back end look like a porsche front).It had its own screen. it wasn't digital but it was completely mechanical toy which you could drive.

That was in sometime around early 80's.
It was 1988, I was 6 years old. We with my sister and other children played a car driving game on Adrionok, a soviet mainframe in the institute of nuclear physics where my father works. The program was written specially for that type of computers. One mainframe supported about 10 terminals. My father showed us the feature of the multiseat computer, switching monitors and keyboards between us.

The mainframe had 64 KB RAM. Dad says, that time one guy used to come to the institute, just to play a space battle game, on saturdays, when there was enough free memory (the game needed 48 Kb).

By 1990 there were 80286 everywhere, and that time we tried Grand Prix Circuit. Only in 1992 I saw the real F1 racing. ...wondered a lot that the race was longer than 3 laps.
Quote from ZORER :I don't know what it was called but a friend of mine had a car racing game which looked like a usual computer racing wheel.(think of a momo and make the back end look like a porsche front).It had its own screen. it wasn't digital but it was completely mechanical toy which you could drive.

That was in sometime around early 80's.

TURBO DASHBOARD!!! OH MY GOD, I still have mine at my parents house! It takes 4 D cell batteries, which means that all together, it roughly weighed the same amount as a UF1...
64 kb mainframe in 1988? are you sure? because even zx spectrum had 48 k at that time.

Quote from Blaeza :TURBO DASHBOARD!!! OH MY GOD, I still have mine at my parents house! It takes 4 D cell batteries, which means that all together, it roughly weighed the same amount as a UF1...

:eclipsee_ YEAH THX! that thing was the king of the toys for me.:smileyrai
here it is http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/TurninTurbo.htm
ZORER, that's true for sure. The Soviet computers, when they still existed, lagged behind the western analogues, and this mainframe must have been old (no wonder that it was replaced soon). If I don't mistake, central commitee of CPUS decided to stop the development of soviet computers yet in the early-middle 1980-s.
The best game i think to have so much fun is super mario karts or micro machines back on the sega mega drive and one of the old Nintendo
Quote from detail :ZORER, that's true for sure. The Soviet computers, when they still existed, lagged behind the western analogues, and this mainframe must have been old (no wonder that it was replaced soon). If I don't mistake, central commitee of CPUS decided to stop the development of soviet computers yet in the early-middle 1980-s.

o i see. sorry.
Russians are very good in engineering and mechanics.that's why i was surprised with that mainframe's lag.
#38 - Sage
NASCAR was my first one, I think I was 9 at the time.
I can't remeber the name of some of the demos I used to play, it must have been when I was around 7-8 though. I distinctly remeber playing World Rally Fever & Big Red Racing a few years later when I was about 10, mostly because I got them as birthday gifts
in 1999 I was 10 i think and I was playing Racing Days R on a 333mh imac G3
I can still remember lapping the Cambridge Ring in my Psion F1... I think the game was called "Formula 1" or something of the ilk, by Psion, for the ZX Spectrum in around 83-84 or something like that. I would have been ... ooh, almost gave it away
5 years old. I played 'OutRun' at an arcade machine in Montevideo, Uruguay. That was in 1990...

Ahh, those were the days... Gotta love to see that convertible Ferrari turning at 280 km/h. That's some serious grip!!
Probably Overlander, Road Blasters or Outrun on my Sinclair Spectrum. I was about 10.

If arcade machines count, it was probably pole position.

First 'sim' was Crammond's F1GP on the Amiga.

EDIT: I forgot Chequered Flag on the spectrum, which cost a whopping £1.99.
ermm hehe this brings back some memories...

Well the first time i have ever set my eyes on a computer was the ZX Spectrum, my dad still has it in a working order with loads of tapes too..

There was a game where you would drive around a city GTA style, it had pedestrians, other cars, traffic lights and so on.. cant exactly remember what i had to do but i remember there was pink cars which you would have to chase... I was about 7-8 when i first set my eyes on this car game.... ok so it wasnt a racing game but it still had cars in it and you could go fast.. maybe some one here will remember the name of it. Outrun was another game that I have played....

After that we got our own pc in 1995 and my brother got need for speed 1.. omg i was so addicted to watching my brother play it.... was just so realistic back then, only thing he never let me play it

mad
Quote from Madman_CZ :

There was a game where you would drive around a city GTA style, it had pedestrians, other cars, traffic lights and so on.. cant exactly remember what i had to do but i remember there was pink cars which you would have to chase... I was about 7-8 when i first set my eyes on this car game.... ok so it wasnt a racing game but it still had cars in it and you could go fast.. maybe some one here will remember the name of it.

mad

CHASE HQ ????
or another one i can't remember the name but it was a motorbike you were riding and trying to shoot pink cars a gta syle game.
AHA... this is weird.. i just thought i would have a browse to see what games I could find for the zx spectrum and to see if i could find the game I mentioned above.... in a list of 6000 zx games i happened to click the right category and the right game by accident....

its was this

I had no clue as to what it could be called, not even a hint... quite strange that i happened to click the right game lol .....
My first racing game ? hmmm. When I had my first PC (1995 or some year like that)I played for example Test Drive, F1, Stunts, etc. Its funny when I compare old racing games with LFS, GTR2, rFactor,...
im guessing somewhat at the time, but it could be 20 odd years ago.

at my cousin's house on his amiga i played stunt car racer.

im sure thats what it was called.

you had to "drive" around what i would discribe as a rollercoaster type track, which had large gaps in.
you had to time your jumping and landing just right, great fun and at the time amazing sounds/graphics and gameplay.
Indianapolis 500 at the age of 10. Ran pretty smooth on our 20mhz 286 actually. The debris on collision was great! I loved fiddling with the setups back then and I'm trying to get that feeling back again.
Probably Night Driver on the Atari, aged I don't know, 11 maybe?

Then Motormania and Pole Position on the C64. Jeez I feel old now -- thanks a lot, OP.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG