The online racing simulator
CVT Transmission
(6 posts, started )
CVT Transmission
This has appeared in a few places, and I know it has no real world racing equivalent, and that it sounds horrible, but, it could make for some very interesting races.

If you've ever been in a vehicle with a inertial clutch, or ridden a moped you'll be familier with the power delivery on one of these, very efficient, yet somehow awful! Mind you, from an engineering point formula1 traction control is awful too, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful.
anyway :

Continuously Variable Transmission.

The engine could technically be at it's most powerful RPM 100% of the time while on the gas, and while a bit mental, it is now appearing in a number of small hatches.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

ps.

I think I'd probably hate driving one of these things, but, I don't know anything, so I'm putting it here anyway. Besides, the devs will do what they want first, and I think their own list and priorities are long enough already without having to look in this "fantasy" forum.
I wouldn't be able to drive a car in LFS with this transmission as the engine note and what gear I'm in tells me how fast I'm going. With CVT I'd be constantly glancing at the speedo.
#3 - JTbo
I would not say that cvt has never been used in racing, it has been at GPL era, of course it was different system than these new, but I think these new systems are still based to that at some extent.
Williams tried experimenting with CVT in the early-mid 90's. Apparently it worked well enough that when the fia found out, they banned CVT from F1 foreva...

But I would imagine it would be fairly dull for sim racing.
#5 - JTbo
Quote from srdsprinter :Williams tried experimenting with CVT in the early-mid 90's. Apparently it worked well enough that when the fia found out, they banned CVT from F1 foreva...

But I would imagine it would be fairly dull for sim racing.

Yes, it would be quite dull indeed. I did see some onboard video of some oval racing, big american cars that had automatic gearboxes, it was from short oval and video was 20 minutes long, that was quite boring as there was only one gear and only two different sounds from engine, throttle on at certain rpm and throttle off at certain rpm, then they did drove many many laps and there was some little overtaking too, but it really was not very exciting.

That is very much like so with cvt too, I guess.
if i had automatic with sequential in LFS i would use sequential and still i guess even automatic is not on priory list.

CVT Transmission
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG