The online racing simulator
nVidia 7600GS AGP + LFS = crash
(19 posts, started )
I think this is actually an nVidia issue according to the error message but wonder if anyone else has experienced it.
LFS starts up o.k. but after passing under the first bridge at standard South City the screen locks up with looping sound and eventually the screen goes black followed shortly after with the attached error message.
P4 2.8
Asus P4S800
1gig memory
Attached images
LFS error.JPG
Is ur graphics card Overclocked. has it got enough Power. is it overheating?

Try using older/newer drivers.
Thanks for the suggestions Mr. Drift.
The card isn't over-clocked and definitely no heat issue.
I've tried various drivers although none so far has made any difference.
Other sims run fine
GPL
rFactor
GTL
Netkar Pro
I even tried installing LFS demo on another drive to test that my main install may be acting up but the same result.
Has anyone else got this card?
cheers, Mark
P.S. Out of curiosity I re-installed my previous card...Radeon 9600 and LFS ran o.k. with that
This is offtopic, but Casey, how would you rate this videocard overall performance in games? how good graphics you can put in GTL , for example.
No worries Eleanor, I'm always a tad disappointed with video card upgrades as the performance increase is never terribly fantastic for me hehe.
Previous card was ATI Radeon 9600 and I had decent frame-rate in GTL but had to run it in DX7.
With the 7600 I can get the same performance but now in DX8 which looks a lot better.
Yeah Quint speaking of GTL, it's the only game that crashed with 'fast-writes' turned 'on'.
I did run 'drivercleaner' after removing the ATI too so I'm painting myself into a corner eh? hehe.
Quote from Mark_Casey :I think this is actually an nVidia issue according to the error message but wonder if anyone else has experienced it.
LFS starts up o.k. but after passing under the first bridge at standard South City the screen locks up with looping sound and eventually the screen goes black followed shortly after with the attached error message.
P4 2.8
Asus P4S800
1gig memory

my friend experienced this issue too
#7 - ORION
This bug ALWAYS happens when you drive under that bridge?
I would reccommend using driver cleaner to remove all of the ATI and Nvidia drivers and checking to make sure that your card is plugged into your power supply if needed. Then installing the latest drivers from nvidia.
Orion: Yes, always at the exact same spot.
Dennis: Yes I did use drivercleaner and even latest drivers won't fix it.
Quint: Yes I was using one of the test patches, which is why I tried installing LFS demo on a separate drive to see if it runs...unfortunately it crashes before loading the track.
I may go back to the drawing board and start over again, but I'm sure it's an nVidia issue.
#10 - Davo
It can't be LFS since a fresh install encounters the same problem.looks like some driver issue. I'm not sure if driver cleaner does a good enough job of clkeaning drivers maybe theres more programs out there people recommend?
i do driver thingy manually, once tried the driver cleaner, but was not very sure to use it, so i didnt use it, and i do all manually. But, it happens only on that track, only on that place and other tracks work just fine? If so, its really weird.
I appreciate the input Davo and Eleanor, but I'm thinking Quint is probably on the money. I've been well-versed on the 'nuke-the-lot-and-start-a-fresh' routine since Win'95...time to get a stand-alone 'game specific' PC for modern times methinks.
cheers, Mark.
[Important] Have you tried looking at how much cpu is being used while playing lfs? Like opening task manager and then go play for a couple minutes.

It shouldn't be hitting 100% or you might have a problem, maybe you have alot of processes running in the background.
Does anyone know if the PCI-E version of the card is affected, as I was thinking of buying one?
I wouldn't recommend buying it until you know someone that has it with no problems, because it looks like the card seems to be at fault for some weird reason... illepall
Well finally formatted and loaded XP on to HDD for strictly racing games only and the problem has disappeared.
'nuke the lot option' wins again so unfortunately no definitive solution I guess.
What kind of performance do you get with that 7600 GS? What kind of fps on what setting? Becase I've been really looking for an AGP video card.
~Bryan~
Cheers Bryan but as I stated in the P.M. version, I would have been better off to save up the dosh whilst waiting for current prices to settle and go for a full P.C./PCI-E upgrade.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG