The online racing simulator
adjustable boost controller.
(60 posts, started )

Poll : adjustable boost throught the gears?

Closed since :
no
yes
unsure what it is or does
i have emailed someone i know who is using this and asked him why he would actually want it on his car and for it to be told to me in leymans terms for those that dont know what it is or does. my next post will be his reply, but untill then...
#27 - JTbo
I would prefer adjustable boost with risk of failure increased with higher boost. You can adjust this in many cars mechanically, some have control in ecu and some have possibility adjust it electronically.

Of course this would need more detailed engine damage modeling.
#28 - CSU1
Quote from daveb948576 :a vauxhall calibra turbo has limited boost in first gear this car was not made to be a drag car it only has a 2000cc engine and does 150mph i think they made that car with some thoughts. unlike some of the posts in here which are not even relevant to the thread ie pointless and your just waisting the devs time by even saying hello. so how about some more comments that are relevent to the thread and have some good suggestions about why to have it and why not, so give the devs something half decent to read and stop wasting there time.

as the above post said you are right the cars in lfs do still accelerate even when the wheels are spinning other than loosing traction (throttle control would also be easier) so at this moment in time its just not worth it, perhaps in S3 they might of figured out how to do that other than wasting time reading pointless longwinded posts made by spammers.

Ok, I know what your saying Dave:
..."i think they made that car with some thoughts."!
Of course they made it with some thoughts! car designs don't just pop out of thin air you know!!!illepall lmao!

..."unlike some of the posts in here which are not even relevant to the thread ie pointless and your just waisting the devs time by even saying hello."!
Come on m8 you're going to have to be nicer to people around here we all have the same goal in mind don't forget.

Anyway; so what you're sayin is you want to be able to set/control the engine boost on the engine in order to get better traction/throttle control.I ain't going to offer a solution as to how to control the "boost" of the engine, but try to help you get an answer(like we are all trying to do btw).
When setting a car for the track everybody that races on LFS has different ways/technique's of setting up their car for that particular run.I find on the turbo cars - fxo particularly that when less instant throttle is desired the thr / brake centre redution can be raised to 1:0 giving better throttle control at slow speeds, also! your clutch can be used to achieve the exact same results but better
if you dont want to use it then set it to default "max".

it looks to me that the devs have enough skill and knowledge to be able to do this quite easily even the FXR limits its boost when in neutral

lfs cars wheel spin in a straight line and dont loose any grip (ie still accellerates) BUT when going round a corner and you accelerate causing wheel spn the tyres funnily enough loose grip sending you sideways and slowing you down
#30 - CSU1
Quote from daveb948576 :if you dont want to use it then set it to default "max".

it looks to me that the devs have enough skill and knowledge to be able to do this quite easily even the FXR limits its boost when in neutral

lfs cars wheel spin in a straight line and dont loose any grip (ie still accellerates) BUT when going round a corner and you accelerate causing wheel spn the tyres funnily enough loose grip sending you sideways and slowing you down

Well I dont think the wheels tend to "loose grip sending you sideways and slowing you down" very often as like an act of God or something!?illepall :
Dave its hard to control the throttle and clutch play with your settings if you dont know how pm me and stop blooody whining m7, illepall
but im not whinning i know every setting in the handbook i am just simply forwarding a suggestion, was there something wrong with that

P.S would you stop quoting me and the long winded posts are getting up my nose

P.P.S i dont need to be nice to anyone, if you dont like me then its not my problem go and read another thread and stop gatecrashing mine. illepall
Quote from daveb948576 :another reason why to add it.
lfs is a racing game.

Did you read what I posted?
I said it seems it is NOT common in racing.
#33 - CSU1
DAVEI now understand that you're taking the proverbial piss m6!

Les just jump down off that high-horse of yours, pull your head out of you're arse and realise 1). You obviously don't know "everything in the handbook" , because if you did you would'nt be here pissing me and everyone else off..2). I very much doubt that anyone will even read past the first page because your a donkey.

I offered a perfectly good solution to your problem' even offered you help! but those posts where as you said "getting up you nose"; so :wave2: and here: http://growthcentral.com/anger-info.htm
Quote from geeman1 :Did you read what I posted?
I said it seems it is NOT common in racing.

yes sorry you said "aren't common"
Quote from CSU1 :DAVEI now understand that you're taking the proverbial piss m6!

Les just jump down off that high-horse of yours, pull your head out of you're arse and realise 1). You obviously don't know "everything in the handbook" , because if you did you would'nt be here pissing me and everyone else off..2). I very much doubt that anyone will even read past the first page because your a donkey.

I offered a perfectly good solution to your problem' even offered you help! but those posts where as you said "getting up you nose"; so :wave2: and here: http://growthcentral.com/anger-info.htm

-- LFS Forum Agreement --

1) When I post a message on this forum, I will do my very best to write in a polite manner and not use foul language and / or insult an individual or group of people.

5) I realise that if I ignore this agreement, I risk being denied access to this forum.
#36 - JTbo
FXR does not limit boost, it is just that there is this rpm limiter and there is not much exhaust coming out from engine when engine is against rpm limiter so you can't build boost because turbo wont spool up, also when you push loud pedal against floor there is no time turbo to spool up until limiter is being hit.

It is that way in real life too, at least in those turbo cars that I have tortured, funnily all of them has been 4wd, maybe I have some pervert fixation to those too

I'm surprised that LFS actually models that if it really works that way, much more complex then that I have thought before, must test sometime.
Quote from daveb948576 :but im not whinning......

Funny, my little sister used to say exactly that in the whiniest voice you've ever heard.

Perhaps you also want to inform us about a handbrake on your brother's car that has a 20/80 split?
Quote from Forbin :Funny, my little sister used to say exactly that in the whiniest voice you've ever heard.

Perhaps you also want to inform us about a handbrake on your brother's car that has a 20/80 split?

irellevent to the thread but still most of the threads i reply to are so i may aswell answer this one aswell.

i dont have a little sister so i dont know what its like to be the older brother and the one that perhaps that little sister may look up to and get bad habits from

a handbrake on my brothers car that has a 20/80 split now why the funk would any car want that and i dont have an older brother either so....

forbin, what would be your improvement suggestion to the devs. if you could have a little say in something sensible that everyone that actually plays the game and dont sit here in the forums gathering post counts want, what would be the best thing that you could ask for in one of the lfs cars?
who has a real life car with a turbo on it?
#40 - CSU1
When did LFS become about race cars?
Last I checked, most of the cars are supposed to be just your normal street car, like you'd have for an auto-x type event.

Well, if so, guess what? Some real production cars limit boost in the first gears! I know this was already mentioned, a couple times, and it's still true.

For a FWD vehicle it may be for limiting wheelspin. In an AWD vehicle it's to keep things from breaking. Do you have any idea just how much torque is being transmitted to the ground from a vehicle with 300 tq at the crank in 1st gear? A LOT! The lower gears are multipliers. Figure damn near 1000 lb/ft to the wheels.
How to prevent snapping axles? Well, either you can put a really low neutral rev limiter like the Lancer Evo has, or you can limit low gear torque by reducing boost.
In my car (Stage 1 '05 Legacy GT) 1st gear boost is limited to something like 9 PSI, 2nd gear is 13, then 3rd+ is 17 PSI. Those aren't necessarily the real numbers but close.

Anyway... I voted yes for it
#42 - CSU1
Quote from TravisS :When did LFS become about race cars?
Last I checked, most of the cars are supposed to be just your normal street car, like you'd have for an auto-x type event.

Well, if so, guess what? Some real production cars limit boost in the first gears! I know this was already mentioned, a couple times, and it's still true.

For a FWD vehicle it may be for limiting wheelspin. In an AWD vehicle it's to keep things from breaking. Do you have any idea just how much torque is being transmitted to the ground from a vehicle with 300 tq at the crank in 1st gear? A LOT! The lower gears are multipliers. Figure damn near 1000 lb/ft to the wheels.
How to prevent snapping axles? Well, either you can put a really low neutral rev limiter like the Lancer Evo has, or you can limit low gear torque by reducing boost.
In my car (Stage 1 '05 Legacy GT) 1st gear boost is limited to something like 9 PSI, 2nd gear is 13, then 3rd+ is 17 PSI. Those aren't necessarily the real numbers but close.

Anyway... I voted yes for it
              We even have an F1 car now dude, here read some of that stuff http://www.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Car_Setups#Final_Drive
              I know that, I'm not S2 licensed for nothing

Doesn't change the fact that the XR GT Turbo, FX0, and RB4 are modeled after "street" cars.
              Yes you can change a lot of items on the fly that would be difficult if not impossible on a real car, but that doesn't change what type of car they're "supposed" to be.
              #44 - CSU1
              Quote from TravisS :I know that, I'm not S2 licensed for nothing

Doesn't change the fact that the XR GT Turbo, FX0, and RB4 are modeled after "street" cars.
              Yes you can change a lot of items on the fly that would be difficult if not impossible on a real car, but that doesn't change what type of car they're "supposed" to be.

do you want a free liscence dude? right now?
              I think I worded that badly.
              I am S2 licensed, have been since the alpha first came out
              #46 - CSU1
              Quote from TravisS :I think I worded that badly.
              I am S2 licensed, have been since the alpha first came out

rofl! damn! i thought you where nuts too
              Quote from daveb948576 :forbin, what would be your improvement suggestion to the devs. if you could have a little say in something sensible that everyone that actually plays the game and dont sit here in the forums gathering post counts want, what would be the best thing that you could ask for in one of the lfs cars?

Actually, I have a lot of faith in the devs. I think they will make the right decisions in most if not all situations. I, for one, am not nearly arrogant enough to think that the devs have not already thought of a very simple idea I may have come up with (speaking hypothetically).

As for being a post count whore, I think you've got it the wrong way around. You see, the LFS Forum has existed in its current form since August of 2005. I've been here for that long, and before that at the LFS forum's previous home at RSC. In the time since the switch, I've made approximately 0.6 posts per day. You, however, joined in June of 2006, and have posted approximately 1.6 times per day. Some simple arithmetic (you did pass first grade math, right?) tells us that you have posted approximately 2.67 times more than me since June of 2006.

So, before you accuse someone, regardless of the situation, please think first and maybe do a little research.
              forbin...you didnt answer my question all you done was judge me. neither have you said anything that is relevent to the thread in either of the two posts you have made. so in the eyes of me and perhaps some other people your not doing anything constructuve with this thread. go and spam somewhere else.

TravisS you have got that down to a T

P.S. Live For Speed is an online racing simulator. PMSL look here at the title
              :munching_
              I voted no. It seems like there are two issues here (other than all the completely OT issues). Whether or not some cars have different boost limits over different gears and whether or not boost limits should be adjustable. Clearly the former exists in some street cars, but probably isn't as prevalent in race cars. If one of LFS' cars is based on a vehicle like this, then obviously this behavior should be modeled. What is being suggested though is that these limits should be user adjustable. I don't think so. It doesn't seem to be in line with the sorts of adjustments we can currently make to the cars, and it doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to muck around with engine parameters like this, nor should we IMO.

If you're spinning out in corners, set up your car better or drive it better.

adjustable boost controller.
              (60 posts, started )
              FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG