The online racing simulator
adjustable boost controller.
(60 posts, started )

Poll : adjustable boost throught the gears?

Closed since :
no
yes
unsure what it is or does
(before i say what i have to please do not reply to this thread unless you are asked to do so this is an improvement suggestion to the devs not the forum users)

"is it possible to be able to set a certain amount of boost for each gear?

when i say boost i mean psi from the turbo.

i would like to have the option to have a percentage of psi in 1st and all of the following gears ie

1st = 0% boost
2nd = 25% boost
3rd = 50% boost....

you get the picture and also with a slider so you can actually set an exact amount in any gear. :yummy:
No, you can't adjust boost at all, but +1 for boost controller...
#3 - Jakg
Quote from Blaeza :No, you can't adjust boost at all, but +1 for boost controller...

"(before i say what i have to please do not reply to this thread unless you are asked to do so this is an improvement suggestion to the devs not the forum users)"

Did he ask you to post? illepall

Not on the forum, no. But telepathically, YES!
Quote from Jakg :"(before i say what i have to please do not reply to this thread unless you are asked to do so this is an improvement suggestion to the devs not the forum users)"

Did he ask you to post? illepall

YES I ASKED HIM NOT YOU illepall
Just thought I pop into this nice public thread about LFS improvements, where everyone is allowed to go. Don't see the devs here right now, so I thought I might have a sandwich on this nice grassy bit whilst I waited.

Did I tell you about the man who had a strawberry growing out of his head? He went to the doctors and got some cream for it.

Nice sandwich this. Actually, it's an imaginary sandwich, but it has reminded me that I have to go and eat something soon. Mummy and Daddy have gone out to dinner with a customer (who brought us 2 cars to restore today, so we like him), which means I might have to kill the chicken myself tonight. Gulp.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the story about the Moose. His name was Harry and I loved him to bits. But he was taken away to make Pritt Stick

Oh, here comes someone else. I'll be off then chaps. Byeeeee
(before I say what I am going to say, i'll write some nonsensical blabber here)

You already have two boost controllers, your feet, learn to use them.

PS. Do those kind of boost controllers actually exist in real world? Would you want to have all the boost at all gears anyway? If not, why?
AFAIK, there's really no reason to limit the boost unless you're severely limited by traction. Such is the case in motorcycle racing in where they reduce the power a bit in the lower gears to minimize wheelies and maximise traction.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from tristancliffe :Just thought I pop into this nice public thread about LFS improvements, where everyone is allowed to go. Don't see the devs here right now, so I thought I might have a sandwich on this nice grassy bit whilst I waited.

Did I tell you about the man who had a strawberry growing out of his head? He went to the doctors and got some cream for it.

Nice sandwich this. Actually, it's an imaginary sandwich, but it has reminded me that I have to go and eat something soon. Mummy and Daddy have gone out to dinner with a customer (who brought us 2 cars to restore today, so we like him), which means I might have to kill the chicken myself tonight. Gulp.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the story about the Moose. His name was Harry and I loved him to bits. But he was taken away to make Pritt Stick

Oh, here comes someone else. I'll be off then chaps. Byeeeee

lol, you've got problems mate:
He's right dave people are nice, really.
One day, Tristan's post will be relevent.
But, your imaginary sandwich cant have been as nice as my real bagel
Smells like both of you are chowing down on Spam Sandwiches. Tristan, you're in danger of turning into, well, someone very spammy. Back on topic thanks, or I'll put you in a home where you'll share a room with faster11!!!11zz

I'm fine with boost how it is, btw. I love realistic physics and the odd setup tweak but I also like to just get out and drive and concentrate on improving My tiny hu-man brain can't handle too many options
#12 - Woz
Quote from daveb948576 :(before i say what i have to please do not reply to this thread unless you are asked to do so this is an improvement suggestion to the devs not the forum users)

In that case PM the devs. The way a forum works is that EVERYONE is allowed to post. The benefit to this is that ideas can be talked about by more than one person which results in a few possible outcomes.

1) You find many in the community think its a good idea.
2) The idea gets tweaked so its the best possible solution.
3) It gets shot down in flames as a rubbish idea.

Quote from daveb948576 :"is it possible to be able to set a certain amount of boost for each gear?

when i say boost i mean psi from the turbo.

i would like to have the option to have a percentage of psi in 1st and all of the following gears ie

1st = 0% boost
2nd = 25% boost
3rd = 50% boost....

you get the picture and also with a slider so you can actually set an exact amount in any gear. :yummy:

LFS is a racing sim which means you want to go fast. Why would you want to limit engine power at all? If you want less power you have the perfect control....... drum roll ........ Your right foot.

Want less boost/power then DO NOT PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AS HARD!

Is there such a real life tweak for turbo's IRL and would it be used in any race car?

Engines with turbo's are normally crap when the turbo is not spooled because the engine is tuned for the boost the turbo provides. When the turbo is not working the power drop can be massive.
Quote :
Is there such a real life tweak for turbo's IRL and would it be used in any race car?

Engines with turbo's are normally crap when the turbo is not spooled because the engine is tuned for the boost the turbo provides. When the turbo is not working the power drop can be massive.

Yup, don't know if it is in circuit racing , but alot of drag cars use it
Quote from lalathegreat :Yup, don't know if it is in circuit racing , but alot of drag cars use it

Then that gets us back to my previous comment about vehicles that are severely limited by traction where it would be extremely difficult/impossible to modulate the throttle efficiently enough to do the job.
#15 - SamH
Quote from daveb948576 :(before i say what i have to please do not reply to this thread unless you are asked to do so this is an improvement suggestion to the devs not the forum users)

That kind of approach is not what happens here. If you want to communicate exclusively with the devs, and not with everyone else on the forum, use the Contact Us link on the main website. But doing that is bypassing THIS forum, which the Devs put here for us ALL to discuss possible improvements, and for the devs to consider at least in part based on the interaction and discussion that we, the LFS users, have on individual aspects. In other words, ya kinda missed the point!

Tristan, yer a sarky bugger.. made me laugh! I'm beginning to wonder if anyone else fully appreciated your post.. I did!! LOL
Quote from SamH :That kind of approach is not what happens here. If you want to communicate exclusively with the devs, and not with everyone else on the forum, use the Contact Us link on the main website. But doing that is bypassing THIS forum, which the Devs put here for us ALL to discuss possible improvements, and for the devs to consider at least in part based on the interaction and discussion that we, the LFS users, have on individual aspects. In other words, ya kinda missed the point!

Tristan, yer a sarky bugger.. made me laugh! I'm beginning to wonder if anyone else fully appreciated your post.. I did!! LOL

What he said! I wasn't posting to annoy you by the way, my temporary-blindness mode engaged, that's all...

Yes, turbo cars from the factory sometimes has lower boost in 1st and even sometimes 2nd gear so that traction stay decent under WOT...

The Dodge SRT4 runs 8psi max (i think? or its 5psi) on 1st gear
its controlled by the ECU... and 13-15psi on other gears..

Just that if lfs had proper physics, wheelspin would actually be slower than traction but its not right now so theres actually no benefit, i dont think... Ever saw a FWD car like the FXO on a drag race doing a 50feet burnout to have optimum traction? i dont think so ;\
a vauxhall calibra turbo has limited boost in first gear this car was not made to be a drag car it only has a 2000cc engine and does 150mph i think they made that car with some thoughts. unlike some of the posts in here which are not even relevant to the thread ie pointless and your just waisting the devs time by even saying hello. so how about some more comments that are relevent to the thread and have some good suggestions about why to have it and why not, so give the devs something half decent to read and stop wasting there time.

as the above post said you are right the cars in lfs do still accelerate even when the wheels are spinning other than loosing traction (throttle control would also be easier) so at this moment in time its just not worth it, perhaps in S3 they might of figured out how to do that other than wasting time reading pointless longwinded posts made by spammers.
#19 - JTbo
I thought that manufacturer does limit boost so that low quality gearbox won't come to pieces because of torque, but that is just me thinking funny again, right?
it would mostly help KB and Mouse drivers.....or ppl with heavy feet .
its not fantasy too, so why not?
Why on earth would you want to limit boost and hence power to the wheels unless there are some serious issues such as lack of traction, drivetrain durability, etc? Wouldn't you want MAXIMUM acceleration?

This would be a great idea if we actually HAVE an overpowered 2WD car that really needs it (e.g. 1200hp F-1 car). Otherwise it's just a waste.

Of course, IRL turbos have their optimal efficiency ranges and you would want to keep them operating within the range for the best overall power over the rev range, but LFS turbo modelling is near complete. 8psi boost that takes a full second to spool up at full load (RA). illepall
start voting
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :its not fantasy too, so why not?

So it seems these things are actually used in real life. But it also seems that these things aren't widely common in racing. Therefore I think they should not be added, because you would use full boost 99% of the time and it would always be just another confusing setting.
Quote from geeman1 :So it seems these things are actually used in real life. But it also seems that these things aren't widely common in racing. Therefore I think they should not be added, because you would use full boost 99% of the time and it would always be just another confusing setting.

another reason why to add it.

lfs is a racing game.
#25 - Woz
I voted no. Sounds like it only used in mum like shopping cars (Why they would want a turbo) and some exotic drag cars.

Can ANYONE find an example of a real race car that does this?

(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG