The online racing simulator
Button for Brake, Axis for Throttle?
Did a quick search, found no answer to this question.

I'm going to live away from home for the winter in tight quarters. The situation I'll be in means no desktop computer and certainly no space for a wheel/chair. I installed LFS on my lappy and found that I can't do the keyboard thing. Hate the mouse thing. So I put a MicroSoft Sidewinder Dual Strike on the thing and it's not bad. (Feels like I'm playing a video game, though. My girlfriend tried to tell me I was playing a video game the whole time... bah!)

So, I can't right foot brake so hot. I want to put the brake on a button and leave the throttle on an axis. I tried everything I could think of, but it just doesn't want to see the brake is I've chosen a non-button set up.

Is it impossible to do what I'm asking in LFS?

TIAFAH
I've tried this in the past with a joystick too and had no success. I think you're limited, both the brake and throttle have to be either axis or button, there isn't an option to mix and match.
Yes it's not possible at the moment as I have tried it too when i wanted to use the gas and clutch but only had 2 pedals. I couldn't set the brake to a button which kinda sucked, though this would be a good option. Who +1's this?
Hello, i've been trying to get analog throttle control and digital brake control while using a mouse. No results so far.
Is it possible to assign brakes on a key while throttle is assigned to mouseY?
thx

[edit] that would be a huge help for mouse drivers as they could control throttle. Assigning throttle/brk axis on mouseY just doesn't work because after a straight where you have to release the throttle and apply brakes you must move the mouse quickly for a 'great' distance and it is quite hard to keep the wheel straight. Except of course maybe there is an option to change pitch and yaw sensitivity. That'd work too (well at least it would make things easier)
cant u set the brake button u want to use as a virtual axis in the driver?
LFS would think the button is an axis and when u push it its just 100% must work out i think...if u cant do that in the driver maybe try out joytokey where u can get all of your controllers buttons "replaced"
I know this doesn't answer your question directly Slarti, but its a suggestion you might like to consider.

I've found an XBox controller (USB type) to be a very good compromise if you can't use a wheel. The two analogue triggers for throttle and brake mean much smoother driving (once you get useed to it) and of course it means you can trail brake as well.

There are a number of device drivers on the 'net which help the XBox controller to work smoothly.(If you need any pointers, let me know).

I know this does mean spending money though if you don't already own an XBox but you might think it's a worthwhile investment in the end.

Hope this helps.
Quote from dungbeetle :I've found an XBox controller (USB type) to be a very good compromise if you can't use a wheel. The two analogue triggers for throttle and brake mean much smoother driving (once you get useed to it) and of course it means you can trail brake as well.

It's also possible to convert an Xbox controller to work on PC (pinwise) quite easily. Here's what to do, if anyone wants to.
  • Get your paws on a USB A-B cable and an xBox extention lead
  • Chop the end of the A-B cable that normally goes in to your printer or whatever
  • Chop off the xbox extention lead after the bumpy thing.
  • Strip the outer casing of it.
  • Strip the white, red, green, yellow and blue cables on both ends and solder them the same colour to colour.
  • Strap it up nicely with electrical tape.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't done this myself, I read it in a book and it's from memory. I take no responsibiliy if you screw something up or elecrocute yourself.
#8 - CSU1
Quote from Slartibartfast :Did a quick search, found no answer to this question.

I'm going to live away from home for the winter in tight quarters. The situation I'll be in means no desktop computer and certainly no space for a wheel/chair. I installed LFS on my lappy and found that I can't do the keyboard thing. Hate the mouse thing. So I put a MicroSoft Sidewinder Dual Strike on the thing and it's not bad. (Feels like I'm playing a video game, though. My girlfriend tried to tell me I was playing a video game the whole time... bah!)

So, I can't right foot brake so hot. I want to put the brake on a button and leave the throttle on an axis. I tried everything I could think of, but it just doesn't want to see the brake is I've chosen a non-button set up.

Is it impossible to do what I'm asking in LFS?

TIAFAH

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=14604

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG