The online racing simulator
LFS Suggestions
(18 posts, started )
#1 - Vegas
LFS Suggestions
LFS is missing something, something that is required when overtaking an opponent after a battle, a little wave. I know I'm not the only one here that wishes you could wave at your opponent as your passing them. Is this in the plans for S3? can this be an addon or mod? Be nice to even customize your signature wave.

Also, perhaps this is already available, but will LFS add pitstop animations? Its just not the same without them. Need a whole pitcrew complete with lollipop man. Id like to see this and have the lollipop control the stop and you control the car during the stop. If you take off too early and run over the lollipop your tire comes off in pitlane and your out of the race. Or you take off with the fuel man and cause a fire. These little things are what makes a sim more real. After all pitstops are a big part of racing. And personally Id like to see a fire once in awhile.

One other thing, what's with starting out on cold tires? Are there tire warmers available?

Just my thoughts on what would make LFS better. Seem to have the physics and handling down great, very impressed overall.
Quote from Vegas :LFS is missing something, something that is required when overtaking an opponent after a battle, a little wave. I know I'm not the only one here that wishes you could wave at your opponent as your passing them. Is this in the plans for S3? can this be an addon or mod? Be nice to even customize your signature wave.

Don't know if it's in the plans, the best is to ask when S2/3 is ready...
Then the mods have time for extra things... (hopefully)
Quote from Vegas :
Also, perhaps this is already available, but will LFS add pitstop animations? Its just not the same without them. Need a whole pitcrew complete with lollipop man. Id like to see this and have the lollipop control the stop and you control the car during the stop. If you take off too early and run over the lollipop your tire comes off in pitlane and your out of the race. Or you take off with the fuel man and cause a fire. These little things are what makes a sim more real. After all pitstops are a big part of racing. And personally Id like to see a fire once in awhile.

here
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=14787
Quote from Vegas :
One other thing, what's with starting out on cold tires? Are there tire warmers available?

no.
Quote from Vegas :LFS is missing something, something that is required when overtaking an opponent after a battle, a little wave. I know I'm not the only one here that wishes you could wave at your opponent as your passing them. Is this in the plans for S3? can this be an addon or mod? Be nice to even customize your signature wave.

:ices_rofl
I don't want to see any naughty waves from 1337 teenage d0r1ft0rz. Not that one would ever get past me Quite silly suggestion imho.
#4 - ZORER
Quote from frokki ::ices_rofl
I don't want to see any naughty waves from 1337 teenage d0r1ft0rz. Not that one would ever get past me Quite silly suggestion imho.

i agree^^^

and i also agree with the pitstop suggestion if it is not going to eat up important cpu time.

but i don't agree with the tyre heaters.it is better to start with cold tires and try not to mess it up for about the first lap.
Tyres don't exactly start off cold - check your tyre temps when you start driving and they should read 80 degrees C (in the GTRs - is it the same for all cars, guys?). It seems we already have tyre warmers - invisible magic ones
#6 - ZORER
maybe yes but still not like the ideal heat.
#7 - Vegas
Maybe a signature wave is out of the question but at least a universal wave, something to say Hi, I'm overtaking you and there isn't anything you can do about it. All the greats wave when they overtake. It's not silly in a formula car.
@Zorer:

F1 tyre-warmers heat the tyres to about 90-100 degrees C. Optimum operating temperature is between 90 and 110, depending on weather and track conditions. Besides, IRL, once you take tyre warmers off, you will be sitting for a while on the grid or in the garage and could lose several degrees very quickly if it's not a hot day (and it rarely is in LFS ) so I think 80 degrees fine.

Just checked - road cars don't get warmed tyres, just race cars. All warmed to 80 degrees (smaller GTRs are warmed to 80 front and 65 rear). Doesn't seem unreasonable, if you're warming your tyres to 90, to lose 10 degrees waiting to get under way, either in a race situation (when you'd be sitting on the grid for five or more minutes) or hotlapping (IRL you'd have an outlap to warm up and the trip down pitlane could cool your boots a bit, while in LFS you get the last sector to get ready).
Quote from Hankstar :Just checked - road cars don't get warmed tyres, just race cars.

Ermm, last I remember every car in LFS has pre-heated tires. No matter how long you let your car sit, the tires will cool off to the temperature of the environment. All the tires will turn black/blue when back to regular temps, and the cars are really undriveable with normal temp tires, which I find really wrong illepall Take your car out for a drive in the cool morning, you car isn't sliding all over the place like in LFS :zombie:
The preheat temperature of tires depend on the type of tires you are using. They are generally 15-20 C cooler than optimum. R2's are preheated to 65 I think, R3's to 75 or something like that. Not sure of exact temps, I rarely use R3 tires, even in longer league races.
All LFS tyres start 20 degrees below optimum for that compound.
Exactly, all tires start out 20 less than optimal temp, don't you think on a pit stop that's a bit silly?
Quote from Vegas :Exactly, all tires start out 20 less than optimal temp, don't you think on a pit stop that's a bit silly?

Not really, perhaps it's a bit silly that they are always exactly 20 degrees less, but the tyres should not be perfectly warmed up for you. Never driven an F1 car, but I've heard hundreds of comments about how a driver will have to take it easy on the cold tyres following a stop, or how a driver who has done two laps on his new tyres will be able to pressurise the guy ahead of him who has just left the pits, because his tyres are cold.
I've never heard a comment about how the driver will be immediately back to maximum pace because his tyres are at the perfect temperature.
Argue about the reasons for that, but that's the way it is.

This goes for all forms of motor racing too, not just F1. If F1 teams don't have perfect tyre warmers then nobody else does.
In going along with tire temps, I don't believe air pressures are modeled for heated tires. Ie. air pressure raises with heat. That is something that can be suggested (I guess it just was right there, eh?). AFAIK, what pressure you have in your setup is the pressure your tires stay at. They should raise with temperatures.

To expand further on this, with road cars, they could be modeled to be filled with normal air and race cars they could be filled with Nitrogen, which would give more predictability on the rise of pressure.
Quote from mrodgers :In going along with tire temps, I don't believe air pressures are modeled for heated tires. Ie. air pressure raises with heat. That is something that can be suggested (I guess it just was right there, eh?). AFAIK, what pressure you have in your setup is the pressure your tires stay at. They should raise with temperatures.

To expand further on this, with road cars, they could be modeled to be filled with normal air and race cars they could be filled with Nitrogen, which would give more predictability on the rise of pressure.

Yeah all we have AFAIK is just the temperature inside the wheel. It doesn't feel or look like the pressure rises inside, but I don't know

As for nitrogen, that is used for keeping the pressure down at high heat, but it is also good for retaining/maintaining heat in the tire.
In that article they mean they heat them to optimal in a 'not stone cold' kind of way. Optimal changes. The surface of a tyre will vary +-50 degrees over the course of a lap in F1, maybe more. So what is optimal, +50 or -50, or the average? And why, then, do cold tyres EVER get mentioned in real life.

I think you'll find it's a nicely dumbed down article for silly people, and you have taken every word as gospel and out of context.
I can tell you (from what Scawen has said) that in LFS, tyre pressures DO increase with air temperature, just the affect is quite subtle.

Although I haven't got an explicit answer out of Scawen on this, I think the pressure in the garage sets the pressure when at pre-heated temperature. I think this since when you entered the garage the tyres are at their pre-heated temperature (i.e. 20 degrees below optimal) and actually cool while in the garage. Or at least they used to until U15, Scawen fixed the temperature at pre-heated (while in the garage) so consistent data can be outputted about the tyres.

LFS Suggestions
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG