The online racing simulator
Saddam Hussain has been sentenced to death
(106 posts, started )
Saddam Hussain has been sentenced to death by hanging within 30 days.

More news still to follow.
I missed the 30 days part, is that final? There wouldn't be time to see the rest of his trials through.
death sentence, huh?

savages.

/no to death sentence. no buts ifs or whens, never. letting him live is far worse a sentence for people like that.
have heard anything about that yet but im sure i will

i recon they should tie him up in the middle of New York City and everyone can throw punches at him
It would be great stress Reliever for all the office workers!
Stoning, the only good sentence for him
He was found guilty over his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His half brother Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bander

Former vice-president Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail and three others received 15 year prison terms.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, was acquitted.

When called to court, Saddam Hussein, dressed in his usual dark suit and white shirt and carrying a Koran, walked to his customary seat and sat down.

Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman ordered Saddam Hussein to stand while he read out the verdict, but the former president defiantly refused to do so and had to be moved from his seat by court attendants.

As the judge began reading the death sentence Saddam Hussein shouted out "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) and "Long live Iraq! Long live the Iraqi people! Down with the traitors!"

The former leader looked shocked and furious as the sentence was passed, and continued to shout, denouncing the court, the judge and the US-led occupation force in Iraq.

But the BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson said that after his tirade, as he was led away from the courtroom, Saddam Hussein seemed to have a small smile on his face.

"It was as if he was thinking 'I've come here and done what I intended to do'," our correspondent said.

Celebratory gunfire

Shortly after the verdict was announced celebratory gunfire could be heard across Baghdad.

The whole city of six million people has been placed under a 12-hour daytime curfew that bans all vehicle and pedestrian traffic amid fears of violence from Saddam Hussein's Sunni Arab supporters.

THE SENTENCES

* Saddam Hussein, former Iraqi president: death by hanging
* Awad Hamed al-Bander, Chief Judge of Revolutionary Court: death by hanging
* Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, Saddam Hussein's half-brother: death by hanging
* Taha Yasin Ramadan, Iraqi vice-president: life sentence
* Abdullah Kadhem Ruaid Senior Baath official: 15 years
* Abdullah Rawed Mizher, Senior Baath official: 15 years
* Ali Daeem Ali, Senior Baath official: 15 years

The government cancelled all army leave and the city's civilian airport has been closed.

Three nearby provinces, including Salahuddin, which contains Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, are also under curfew.

Almost three years since Saddam Hussein was captured, soaring sectarian violence has brought Iraq to the brink of civil war.

Few Iraqis think the trial verdict will ease conflict, the BBC's Andrew North in Baghdad says.

Even those Iraqis who want to see their former leader dead do not believe his execution would make things any better, our correspondent says.

'Victors' justice'

Many critics have dismissed the trial as a form of victors' justice, given the close attention the US has paid to it.

Lawyers for Saddam Hussein have also accused the government of interfering in the proceedings - a complaint backed by US group Human Rights Watch.

And the former leader's lawyers have attacked the timing of the planned verdict, which comes days before the US votes in mid-term elections.

US President George W Bush's Republican Party is at risk of losing control of Congress in part because of voter dissatisfaction over its handling of the Iraq conflict. In a televised speech on Saturday, Nouri Maliki, Iraq's Shia Arab prime minister, said he hoped Saddam Hussein would get "what he deserves" for "crimes against the Iraqi people".

Ahead of the verdict Mr Maliki called for calm, saying that Iraqis should mark it in a way that "does not risk their lives".

Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6117910.stm
Good! I hope he can just touch the floor with his toes...
Are we really so barbaric that we need hanging still? It's not just a death sentence, it is death by torture. We are no better than him if we deal with him in this way.

We still have hanging in the UK, it is the penalty for treason although politically it would be hard to sentence somebody to it. If he had been tried over here we would have given him a passport, a house, a Renault Espace and an activity holiday to help integrate him back into society. At worse he'd have had a tag on his foot for 30 days which, if he broke the terms of his parole, would have been ignored.

The timing, the verdict, it's all hugely suspicious. I hope it does bring some closure for the people of Iraq though, maybe one or two millitants will not have a goal to fight for any more - although I suspect most of the violence there now isn't about reinstating Hussein, but to simply fight the West for the sake of fighting the West.

Still no trial for Bush or Blair to clear their names in either, I think they should sit throuh an independent court like the Hague - just so they can come out the other side and say they have been tried and found innocent - which of course, is less than likely...
#9 - Vain
I was horrified when I read that. This is horrible.
Actually I don't even like this to be on the LFS forums. I don't want to talk about killing in the name of justice when I come here. That's barbaric and wrong.

Vain
Gimme a meat cleaver. I'll get him...
Quote from george_tsiros :death sentence, huh?

savages.

/no to death sentence. no buts ifs or whens, never. letting him live is far worse a sentence for people like that.

Savages is exactly the rigth word. It's like theft should be punished by stealing something from you - it simply doesn't make sense at all. When will our dear Americans learn...
And there were cases where people were actually killed for nothing - if you were found guilty if you weren't, there's always the possibility to get out of jail, but try to bring back a life
Just get rid of him so the rest of the world can move on.
He's had a fair share of opportunities to prove what he's willing to contribute by his existence, and it's been pretty conclusive.
While it's true that jeering on his punishment is a little odd, when that same sadism is what led saddam to condemnation, it's as odd to think a rabbid dog should be left to his ways.. Jailtime is not cheap, and you've got to really earn it to get a spot there.. Saddam fairly dug his grave.

Why would you want to finance his sustainment? Hope he'll rehabilitate, maybe?
In life you get only what you deserve, no more, no less.
Quote from herki :When will our dear Americans learn...

Um last I checked his trial wasn't in an American court. He wasn't sentenced by an American judge.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
But he was defended by an ex US attorney general..
Quote from Breizh :But he was defended by an ex US attorney general..

My point was an American judge didn't sentence him to hanging so wondered why herki asked about Americans.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
Herki is part of the Americans=Barbarian/Philistines bandwagon.
An american going out of his way for a properly impartial role of such an important trial, makes especially obvious the cultural bias of Herki's assertion.
i.e. I was seconding your reply.
Cutting his arms and legs away and let him bleed to death is still not enough for that bastard.
Quote from tinyk :Um last I checked his trial wasn't in an American court. He wasn't sentenced by an American judge.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~

(and Breizh)

I wanted to make a general statement, as America is the biggest and probably most sophisticated country still running death penalties, which I consider barbaric, so yes, in that point I'm part of the America==barbaric-bandwagon.
Sorry if it seemed I wanted to blame everything related to the Saddam Hussein-case on America, I seem to have used the wrong terms
Quote from BigDave2967 :Saddam Hussain has been sentenced to death by hanging within 30 days.

Wrong.

His advocates do have 30 days time to appeal. I think that is a little difference...

Greets,
Warper
Not to hijack to the topic ( I still haven't heard what that ex attorney general did to get the boot), but it's more barbaric still to entertain criminals that will not rehabilitate with money from law-abiding people.
You're advocating the prolongation of a cancer. What good is that?
Death by hanging? in the 21st century?

Yay!! now Irak is surely a free demochratic country, let's make a party, I'll bring the confetti.

/sarcasm off (just in case it wasn't clear enough)
Quote from Arrow. :
i recon they should tie him up in the middle of New York City and everyone can throw punches at him
It would be great stress Reliever for all the office workers!

why not take him on a world tour so everyone can punch him in the balls befor he dies?

eh, i saw this coming, they had to kill him eventually. but, why not a gas chamber or vacination to kill him?
yay !!!:banana: :drink: :laola: :clapclap:
#24 - CSU1
Quote from Becky Rose :Are we really so barbaric that we need hanging still? It's not just a death sentence, it is death by torture. We are no better than him if we deal with him in this way.

We still have hanging in the UK, it is the penalty for treason although politically it would be hard to sentence somebody to it. If he had been tried over here we would have given him a passport, a house, a Renault Espace and an activity holiday to help integrate him back into society. At worse he'd have had a tag on his foot for 30 days which, if he broke the terms of his parole, would have been ignored.

The timing, the verdict, it's all hugely suspicious. I hope it does bring some closure for the people of Iraq though, maybe one or two millitants will not have a goal to fight for any more - although I suspect most of the violence there now isn't about reinstating Hussein, but to simply fight the West for the sake of fighting the West.

Still no trial for Bush or Blair to clear their names in either, I think they should sit throuh an independent court like the Hague - just so they can come out the other side and say they have been tried and found innocent - which of course, is less than likely...

well said Becky, it is sad to see these people still have not found how to respect human life for what it is.
Hanging, lethal injection, electrocution(death chair) no matter what colour you paint it it's still bloody murder.
I fear humanity still has some way to go before we realise the above methods of dealing with crime is discusting and barbaric.
This sort of carry on was common place for hundereds of years but ffs why are we so bloody stupid and stop murdering people in the worlds biggest courts of law, it doesn't set a very good example does it.
Maybe in eastern civilisation not here.
Ok, CSU, why don't you open up a non profit org to fund Saddam's upkeep?
He can contribute to society neither from his cell, nor in public life, so what's the point in letting him drain public resources?
What non barbaric solution do you have to Saddam's barbaric way of life? What can you do to him that will guarantee he does no further damage to others, that's less barbaric than locking him up? Who are you expecting to fund the continuation of his life as a lock up, and how do you excuse locking him up as any less barbaric than putting him out of his misery?
You probably think putting down rabbid dogs or horses with broken limbs as worse than letting them live as though it was no issue?

(106 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG