The online racing simulator
3d sounds on stereo headphones
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Vain
Hello.

I just stumbled across this nice flash thingy that nicely shows how well you can do 3d sound with normal stereo headphones. And yes, it really needs heaphones to sound convincing.
The effect works extremely well. I'm pretty impressed.

Vain
Lol, that's really cool, the sound manager on my motherboard has something like that, but this is much better executed. Try listening to it with your eyes closed, and it's even more believable.
Nice, works really well. I've had a similar demonstration before in a laboratory using speaks in an anechoic chamber.

Although I turned my speakers off for this, I shit myself at the end since I forgot to turn the sub off, and got this massive bass slam. Hehe.
It really helps using good headphones.

The X-Fi does that very well but unfortunately there is no customisation for your ear (Aureal cards had that IIRC).

edit:
There are seperate processors which convert multichannel sound into Dolby Headphone output too.

Also you can convert that for stereo speakers (crosstalk cancellation) I think.
I think I've heard that clip before, but it's always very impressive how it feels someone is chaking that box of matches around me. And I did check from the reflection of my window that there was nobody behind me! Scary and impressive...I want that in LFS
It's actually not that hard to do this sort of thing. All you need is a good HRTF (head related transfer function) model and you're set. We've got people where I work doing research in this area.

I think the hardest thing is getting a HRTF that works for a wide proportion of the population as everyone's head is different.
#7 - J.B.
That's pretty cool. Google for "holophonic sound" to find out more.
Quote from Peptis :I think the hardest thing is getting a HRTF that works for a wide proportion of the population as everyone's head is different.

id guess the hardest bit is computational complexity ... filtering multiple sources with a full 4pi hrtf will take quite a toll on your processor
Listened to this before but it still freaks me out when I listen to it with my eyes shut. Seriously sounds like someone is in my apartment doing it.
Now this is just about the 2nd coolest thing I've ever heard on a set of headphones. It felt like I could reach up and grab the box of matches.

I said the 2nd coolest. The first was the first time hearing, after rolling a fattie and listening to The Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd when she whispers "If you hear me whisper this you are dying" on headphones, loud I might add.
Hehehe this is pretty cool.

But I can't help but visualize that this person is doing some kind of ritual? Or is it just for the experience of hearing things in other places.... lol. Because he lights two candles on the left and the right, and sounds like he is walking in a circle or something. Either he likes to do indoor gardening of seeding a lawn in the living room, or he is making some kind of inverted pentagram on the wood floor.... I dunno :ices_rofl

Sounds great, gives me chills like some crazy dude is shaking a box of matches behind my back!!! The up & down part near the end freaks me out.

http://www.holophonic.ch/archi ... reni%20-%20Holophonic.mp3 Incase anyone wants the mp3.
not "holophonic". accurate name is "binaural".

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG