The online racing simulator
Whats the bloody story with MSN???
(34 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
Guy's people keep asking me for my MSN details which I never used MSN, I tryed to sign up for hotmail SEVERAL times only to run into broken links everywhere
Is it the same as Windows Messenger ie an application that needs to permenantly run In the background...sorry Im a bit of a noobcake when it comes to this???
It doesn't have to, but a lot of people keep it running.
And Windoze Messenger is a bloody pain.

I have an MSN username, but I rarely use it. I guess it depends who you have trying to contact you
#3 - CSU1
Quote from Dajmin :It doesn't have to, but a lot of people keep it running.
And Windoze Messenger is a bloody pain.

I have an MSN username, but I rarely use it. I guess it depends who you have trying to contact you

The guy's at OSR are asking me for one, "for easyer comm" so whats better msn or windows msger?
Windows Messenger is "the same" as MSN.... Only that the todays MSN are more usefull if you want alot of avatars and smilies and emoticons...
Having MSN can help you get virus and spam illepall
Windows Messenger is more job related.. businesses uses it intern...
None outside the company that can get access to theyre messengers...

You dont need an Hotmail to be able to access Windows Messenger / MSN. You can basicly use any email....

Honestly said, Windows Messenger is better then the todays MSN upgrade.... If you don't need 1,000,000,000 avatars and smilies,
you don't need anything else then WM.... WM is simple...
#5 - CSU1
Quote from blackfang :Windows Messenger is "the same" as MSN.... Only that the todays MSN are more usefull if you want alot of avatars and smilies and emoticons...
Having MSN can help you get virus and spam illepall
Windows Messenger is more job related.. businesses uses it intern...
None outside the company that can get access to theyre messengers...

You dont need an Hotmail to be able to access Windows Messenger / MSN. You can basicly use any email....

Honestly said, Windows Messenger is better then the todays MSN upgrade.... If you don't need 1,000,000,000 avatars and smilies,
you don't need anything else then WM.... WM is simple...

You can basicly use any email... thats what I was thinking... so how does msn or WM offer easyer comm.?
Realtime messenger, you type something and they see it instantly...

The next step is to use Skype, Ventrillo or TeamSpeak
I recommend Xfire if all the people you're going to message are gamers.

Xfire is an IM program that allows you to send and receive messages in-game. Just a customisable window that pops up on top of your game.

It also logs all your gaming hours and (in some games) let's you save a favourite server list to just click and join.

I've used it for a while and not had any problems. The list of suppoted games is growing all the time and they usually cover most new releases. If your game's not supported the messages pop up in a window behind like any other IM program.

Bloody hell, that sounded like a proper advert
Well...... If you look at the world today, over 90% of the people who uses Windows, and has internet, has MSN....
If you are using WM and someone messages you using the latest MSN version and type like *crazyarseman* and its sepose to show a GIF image of a guy pulling down his pants and showing his bum or something, the WM blocks it and you will only see the *crazyarseman* text and not the image...
WM is simple.. Thats one of the few things Microsoft has not changed much over the years.. Along with several other small programs....

If you want to use avatars/smilies and related, download the MSN program....
If you want to use simple as possible and maybe a lill more protective, use Windows Messenger...
Windows Messenger is a default program. If you can't find it in the Start menu, go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ and you will find it there...

IM's
AOL / AIM
YIM (Yahoo Messenger)
MSN
WM (Windows Messenger)
Roger Wilco (not sure if this is functional any more)
Teamspeak

and TONS more........
#9 - CSU1
Quote from blackfang :Well...... If you look at the world today, over 90% of the people who uses Windows, and has internet, has MSN....
If you are using WM and someone messages you using the latest MSN version and type like *crazyarseman* and its sepose to show a GIF image of a guy pulling down his pants and showing his bum or something, the WM blocks it and you will only see the *crazyarseman* text and not the image...
WM is simple.. Thats one of the few things Microsoft has not changed much over the years.. Along with several other small programs....

If you want to use avatars/smilies and related, download the MSN program....
If you want to use simple as possible and maybe a lill more protective, use Windows Messenger...
Windows Messenger is a default program. If you can't find it in the Start menu, go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ and you will find it there...

Yes it looks like I'll go with WM, thanks for the advice
No problem mate
I work at Norways biggest phone company and we use WM...
Mostly because we use it business type, and none business related talk.. hehe..
At home I run MSN version 7.5 because I really don't need the massive upgrades of avatars and smilies and shit... Am thinking of just remove everything and do text only...
If all you want is text based chat, I would recommend Trillian

It allows text based chat across MSN, AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, Redesvouz....
Accturally, if your going for a quite secure chat, choose IRC....
I've used IRC for 10 years... It's simple, its easy and its fun...
You can access the Live For Speed channel as well....

1. Download www.hawkee.com/scripts/mirc603.exe
2. Install it to C:\mIRC\
3. Run it, set it up with name, email, nickname and alternative nickname...
Ex.

Name: Yes I do
Email: laugh@you
Nick: CSU1
ANick: CSU[1]

4. Close the Options dialog.
5. In the status window, type /server irc.gamesurge.net -j #liveforspeed
and press enter...

The mIRC will then try to connect to the gamesurge server and if it successfully connects (as it should) it will join #liveforspeed as the program is connected...
If you want to read a lill more about the mIRC program, www.mirc.com
Highly recommended as TS is for teamspeaking

Accturally met my gf through IRC 5 years ago

Am also a scripter in mIRC Scripts.... If you need help to learn some basics about mIRC and uses, PM me and I will try and help you out
Bah, all that Xfire promotion and nobody cares

(Yes I'm bored at work)
Quote from Thorvertonian :If all you want is text based chat, I would recommend Trillian

It allows text based chat across MSN, AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, Redesvouz....

Yep, using it here too. Need an MSN account since that is what everyone I know uses, this way I can connect to it without the silly interface.
#15 - CSU1
Quote from blackfang :Accturally, if your going for a quite secure chat, choose IRC....

Ex.

and press enter...

The mIRC will then try to connect to the gamesurge server and if it successfully connects (as it should) it will join #liveforspeed as the program is connected...

Am also a scripter in mIRC Scripts.... If you need help to learn some basics about mIRC and uses, PM me and I will try and help you out

done! thanks looks groovy n easy
The Live For Speed IRC channel can accturally be reached from my web site...

Go to www.liveforspeed.no..
Click in the menu saying "IRC".. At the top of the page it says "Åpne IRC"...
Click there...
Choose server "Official IRC channel"....
Then choose your nickname and connect...

NB!! This require Java....
Quote from Bob Smith :Yep, using it here too. Need an MSN account since that is what everyone I know uses, this way I can connect to it without the silly interface.

Heard it was very unsecure because it requires a lot of ports to be open (or something). I was going to try it but that put me off. Then again, I don't really understand all that, and so I fear it
edit: Was referring to Trillian.
MSN has bugs, yes... It's not a fully secure program but it's okay to use...
Only crap thing is that people can find you on the net, add you to theyr list and spam your email totally...

Using IRC this problem is easy.. There are spam bots, bots that joins channels and post a message and then leave... they also message you private, but we can make scripts that block these messages which
accturally is more secure then an email spam filterr
Quote from blackfang :Accturally, if your going for a quite secure chat, choose IRC....

Ex.

and press enter...

Can you actually talk on a mic like TeamSpeak though?
#20 - CSU1
Quote from Xaid0n :Can you actually talk on a mic like TeamSpeak though?

Yeah with your fingers lol!
I've used irc for years, and use a bouncer. It stays online keeping my nick and logs all messages. Windows live messenger aswell, all i need
#22 - mr_x
Quote from Dajmin :I recommend Xfire if all the people you're going to message are gamers.

Xfire is an IM program that allows you to send and receive messages in-game. Just a customisable window that pops up on top of your game.

It also logs all your gaming hours and (in some games) let's you save a favourite server list to just click and join.

I've used it for a while and not had any problems. The list of suppoted games is growing all the time and they usually cover most new releases. If your game's not supported the messages pop up in a window behind like any other IM program.

Bloody hell, that sounded like a proper advert

I use xfire, and I don't have a bad thing to say about it at all, used it from my CSS days, now if you look at my profile (in sig) I only play LFS and a couple of other games.

It's also a good way of tracking how sad you are (or how bored in my case)

I also use MSN Messenger, Skype and GoogleTalk, but xfire takes up the least from system resources and it's made by gamers for gamers
I'm going to stick my oar in and recommend GAIM. Like Trillian, it will handle MSN, AOL, Yahoo, Googletalk, IRC etc all in one client.
#24 - Jakg
Gaim? pfff, Miranda ftw!
Quote from CSU1 :Yeah with your fingers lol!

Not very useful if you're in a game and dont have time to type...
That's why TS is much better in that respect.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG