The online racing simulator
Newbies: Wanna get faster?
(32 posts, started )
Quote from bal00 :

If the corner is very short and the straight that follows is very long, it's usually better to go a little slower through the corner so you're able to accelerate sooner and exit faster.

Apologies for splitting hairs but it's not the length of the straight that counts. It's the amount of time you are on full throttle for after the corner. So even though one straight is shorter than another, exit speed may be more important for it because it is steep uphill for example.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :lol u idiots, im just saying that its faster to be beyond the limit.
prost was slower than senna

ah yes, the old "your idiots for not believing me" trick. if you listen to what jackies is saying, and then take time to think about what he has said. maybe then you will understand what he is trying to say better. you said that being smooth gives less "feeling" from the car, but that can't be true as the car is more predictable when not being thrown about the place. in the itv f1 atthe weekend brundle made a small peice that explains driving styles and he even went on to say that buttons smooth driving was the best for him and the car because it was predictable. alonso likes more grip in the rear (understeer) which means his style is "ugly but effective" and schumacher like more front end grip (oversteer)so the "back end swings about" but jenson likes an overall well balanced car due to his smooth steering (and throttle application)this means he uses less TC and he has better control (Mansell and Hill were the same). but these were F1 cars and not a TVR (similar to FZ50)which imo has way less downforce and relies more on natural grip, so imo what jackie told May was actually correct (in that aspect) to teach him to be smooth.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :this video is wrong, the throttle can be applied and then taken off (but not fully)

I'm sure you would give different tips for Sebastien Vettel than some noob drivers when you are trying to get some fast lap times
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :there is a thing called 'beyond smoothness' which means pushing the car beyond the limit and coming back, ayrton senna did it using the throttle, and schumi does it using the steering wheel.

being smooth is a kind of 'cheat' to becoming pretty fast with no feel for what the car is doing, the last few tenths or hundreths are down to feel and 'beyond smoothness'

its very hard to understand! but true.

How can you compare Stewart to Schumi on the basis of that one vid. lol
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :lol u idiots, im just saying that its faster to be beyond the limit.

And for once try to have a conversation instead of flaming. illepall
Good tips. The key for being quick is to be smooth. The key for being quicker than quick is to be naturally talented and finding a way (practise, practise and practise) to go slightly over the limits in situations when its worth it. I suck in that, so I'm just quick, not quicker than quick.

Better to be safely pushing at 98-99%, than trying 101% and eventually tailfish, go wide, smoke the tires and lose concentration and rhythm due to the eventual inconsistency. Nobody is Senna or Schumacher around here, son.

Prost was a better car nurser than Ayrton. And maybe a bit slower... yet he won 4 WDCs and lots of races at McLaren, Ferrari and Williams with Honda, Porsche, Ferrari and Renault engines, while Ayrton only did it at Lotus and McLaren with nothing but Honda and Ford (if those can even count) engines. All in all, Prost was a much more successful F1 driver than Senna. Something to think about, eh?

I'd love to know how Button does not push the limits of his car, yet he canned a known-for-being-aggressive Rubens Barrichello at this years' championship, and even worse, at his home GP. Where do you get the telemetry info? I'd love to take a look at that.
Tyres provide the most cornering force when they are marginally past their limit (say, 10% as a ballpark figure), this accounts for those last tiny tenths of a second being fast, as it can be as much as 2-3mph by the end of the straight coming after corner. In this respect, the Senna fanboy is right. (no disrespect, atleast not to the legend himself!!)

On the other hand, no-one but the hotlap kings can drive this way in LFS, certainly not in a race situation! Essentially being smooth is the key for everyone who's going to read this forum, just so long as they remember that being smooth is not the same as being slow, I can apply the throttle smoothly in half a second, but I wouldn't call that a slow application.

Also, the transition is not uniform, I'll get on 75% of gas on in the first 50% of the application, and squeeze on the rest... throttle modulation to avoid wheelspin is key in all but the least powerful cars.

Secondly, where racing is concerned, points are given 20 points for the consistant average fastest laps (i.e fastest over race duration) and ability to get the car past other cars (read - stable car condition), and only 1 point bonus for fastest lap... You'll often see the fastest lap driver is 3rd down the grid in the return to parc ferm....

hotlapping is a stunning skill, one where you find those last half mph's, max respect, but the people who are into hotlapping wont be reading this forum section... and I'm bored of being crashed out by people gettin' their foodmixer skills on into the side of my car...

Quick and smooth, keep the rear planted, apex late, squeeze the brakes on smoothly, apply the gas smoothly, look ahead, and look to your sides - you've got to finish before you can finish first.
excellent vid i took notes

Newbies: Wanna get faster?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG