The online racing simulator
Confused about networks
(12 posts, started )
Confused about networks
My dad will not let me forward a port to my computer from a router, because he doesn't know what I mean. So, today I tried to bypass the router and plug my computer directly into the modem. When I did this, the internet did not work. My question is, what MAC adress does our ISP verfiy? Does it check the MAC adress of the computer/router connected to the modem, or do they check the MAC adress of the modem? Because I logged in to the ISP website, and they had the MAC adress of the modem. But then why would I not be able to directly connect? illepall
#2 - Jakg
no offence - but how would he know if you forwarded the ports? Ive done it on all the routers we've had, and my Dad who knows alot about PC's (or sometimes, thinks he knows!) never saw it!
Quote from wheel4hummer :My dad will not let me forward a port to my computer from a router, because he doesn't know what I mean. So, today I tried to bypass the router and plug my computer directly into the modem. When I did this, the internet did not work. My question is, what MAC adress does our ISP verfiy? Does it check the MAC adress of the computer/router connected to the modem, or do they check the MAC adress of the modem? Because I logged in to the ISP website, and they had the MAC adress of the modem. But then why would I not be able to directly connect? illepall

Your dad needs to chill! Anyway when I take my router down and or use a diff router I have to cycle the power on the modem. I'm guessing the cable modem picks up and IP and assigns it to the current MAC of the router. So you want it to do it all again with your PC plugged in. Keep a software firewall turned on though if you do this, or you wont last too long.
Quote from Jakg :no offence - but how would he know if you forwarded the ports?

Because I don't have the password for the router. I could just hold the reset button and then reset all of the settings. I don't think that there are any actual important settings.

My dad only PRETENDS to know stuff about computers, which really irritates me.
#5 - Jakg
LOL Green. Yes, lets tell him to brute-force hack over his own network XD.

Not always possible, my router has a 3 failed attempts 1 hour lockout on it, so if I do brute force by hand or with a program (which I think I broke the CD I kept it on... One of these days I'll need a new one) it'll still take a long long time...

Wheel4hummer:
Personally, I don't have issues getting my dad to forward ports, because he knows what they are. Maybe if you sit down and explain it, perhaps pull up some references? Act like an Adult, treat him with respect, and give him no reason to say no (no matter how mad he gets you!). Its worth a try, is it not?
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Shinrar :LOL Green. Yes, lets tell him to brute-force hack over his own network XD.

Not always possible, my router has a 3 failed attempts 1 hour lockout on it, so if I do brute force by hand or with a program (which I think I broke the CD I kept it on... One of these days I'll need a new one) it'll still take a long long time...

Wheel4hummer:
Personally, I don't have issues getting my dad to forward ports, because he knows what they are. Maybe if you sit down and explain it, perhaps pull up some references? Act like an Adult, treat him with respect, and give him no reason to say no (no matter how mad he gets you!). Its worth a try, is it not?

my BT standard router has no lock-out (at least not one ive manually hit before realising that the password was "admin" and so was the username!)
Quote from Jakg :my BT standard router has no lock-out (at least not one ive manually hit before realising that the password was "admin" and so was the username!)

Understandable. Not all routers are the same. I was just mentioning, incase anyone tried it, that they may run into that wall, so be prepared to find a secondary solution.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from Shinrar :Understandable. Not all routers are the same. I was just mentioning, incase anyone tried it, that they may run into that wall, so be prepared to find a secondary solution.

yeah, tbh the router we have is rubbish (standard issue BT thing), it gets really hot, too, which can't be good!
I googled, but couldn't find anything on password cracking a router. What exactly is brute force? I am seriosly considering just reseting the router.

FUnny thing is, I asked him if I could forward port 80 to a dedicated webserver if I built one, and he said "maybe". So then I told him, "a webserver wouldn't be of much use if no-one could connect to it..."
#11 - Jakg
Brute Force?

it does this
Password:
a
aa
aaa
aaaa
aaaaa
aaaaaa
aaaaaaa
b
ab

etc - takes a while, but gets there in the end
No, you go to the ISP website, and type in the mac adress. But, they charge you when you enter a different MAC adress.

Confused about networks
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG