The online racing simulator
Hand-Moves instead of Horns in BF1/FOX/FO8
As we don't have horns in the openwheeler (allthough they still have handbrakes which is unrealistic as well) can we have Hand-Move animations...
like we often see in Formula 1 when a lapper does not move
Yeah, GPL style.

+1
#3 - Jakg
+1 That rocked in GPL, although i dont think it's a perfect replacement to the horn, but it's a start!
but we need a bunch of hand movements

like waving friendly to a nice backmarker or giving somebody the finger if he rams you
i'd love to give some people out there the finger!
+1 for hand gestures on the horn button. And shift H should toggle between giving someone the finger, waving and raising a hand.
Sounds complicated for shift-Hing. Never sure which gesture you're on...

How about scripting it? /wave, /finger, /raisehand, ect, so all you have to do is bind an F-key to it (and then you can assign a wheel button to the F-key). I'm not sure all the common gestures used in open-wheeled racing (I saw a video once with an in cockpit camera for a car that looked like the LX series. The purpose (of posting it on the forums) was to show the diffrent wind volume effects in and out of draft, but the drivers as the guy came up behind them kept throwing their arms up. At first, I thought they were trying to tell him to back off their bumper (he was drafting really close), but then I realized it might be a "pass on left/right" signal of some sort...), but I think they should work for all types of cars. Just some wouldn't get noticed quite so much (I'm never really bothered to look in the cockpits of XRRs as I drive past them/they drive past me). But for the LX open configs, for example, it would indeed be nice.

However:
How in the world will this work with the wheel animation without rescripting the whole thing? And how do you decide WHICH side you give the finger to? Back? Left? Right? Front?
yea we definetly need some hand gestures to tell what side to pass on etc.
Quote from Sidewayzmaster :yea we definetly need some hand gestures to tell what side to pass on etc.

You can use binds for that now. I do. Sure, it doesnt work with blocked messages, but not that many people block them.
Good idea but it's hard to see the hands with a limited view in games so actually the horn was a good in gameplay-wise but stupid and unrealistic of course.
Quote from zeugnimod :You can use binds for that now. I do. Sure, it doesnt work with blocked messages, but not that many people block them.

On my old Momo, I had the bottom two buttons bound to left/right blinker, and the right middle bound to cancel blinker. Thats how I told people which side to pass on. I do this because -I- block messages when racing, mostly because they block the minimap and I like to know if the car behind me is a lap up or fighting for position.

However, with my G25 (May my Momo RIP), I don't have my blinkers bound yet (because my wheel buttons are look L/R). I might bind them to the gear shifter when I get more used to it, but for now I just hope the faster cars are good enough to take turns two wide and/or pass intelligently.
Quote from Shinrar :On my old Momo, I had the bottom two buttons bound to left/right blinker, and the right middle bound to cancel blinker. Thats how I told people which side to pass on. I do this because -I- block messages when racing, mostly because they block the minimap and I like to know if the car behind me is a lap up or fighting for position.

There are previous disagreements on using the blinkers in racing. Seems that it is different with racing than it is on the public roads. You signal on the road which way you are planning on moving, but folks have brought up here in racing, you signal which way you want a passer to go. I use to use the blinker signalling I'm pulling over a bit at the race start or something, but now it is too confusing as to what the other guy would expect from that. I don't use them anymore.

Until that discussion, I've never heard of using the blinkers to signal where you want the other guy to go. Guess I've never watched racing where they had lights and blinkers on the cars.
+1 Hands rising like in GPL
Quote from mrodgers :There are previous disagreements on using the blinkers in racing. Seems that it is different with racing than it is on the public roads. You signal on the road which way you are planning on moving, but folks have brought up here in racing, you signal which way you want a passer to go. I use to use the blinker signalling I'm pulling over a bit at the race start or something, but now it is too confusing as to what the other guy would expect from that. I don't use them anymore.

Until that discussion, I've never heard of using the blinkers to signal where you want the other guy to go. Guess I've never watched racing where they had lights and blinkers on the cars.

I wasn't aware they used it in real life. Its a simulator, and it has its limitations. We have to realize that not every driver has been taught the same racing ediqutee (if at all). I'm i'm going down a straight, and I start pulling left and turn on my right blinker, it should be obvious which way I want you to go. My blinker means, for me, "I know you're there, go that way so we won't have a problem." I can't jerk out of my current line, lest I risk losing control (or speed).

In real life, you can look at hand signals, or you assume they know you're there. Its slightly harder to achieve spacial awareness in a Sim (something I'm good at, and it makes me kind of proud), so you have to be careful...

Obviously, they don't always know you're there in real life, which is why accidents happen. But the blinker was a working solution to a problem which has a unqiue solution in real life, one we can't immitate. The hands.
lol, i was thinking these gestures were suposed to let off some steam, (same with horns)

back to that realism thing: handbrake in FOX/BF1 realistic? NO, useless YES.
who would i harm if we get those horns back ???
some interesting posts here!! Horns in open wheelers = yes please, i nearly cried in the BF1 when i pressed horn and a whole lot of nothing happened! or hand gestures would be fun but as it ws mentioned before, deciding which gesture, which direction, steering etc would be a lot of bother.

OO about the whole blinkers doing what thing. If i were hurtling down a straight at the speed of sound and i see some guy in my mirrors coming from behind quite quickly, id try and move over to one side if i could without ruining my lap or just expect him to pass. The blinker thing is a good idea but i use my blinkers if, say, i want to pull into the pit lane and someones near me, let them know im pulling off the track. Imagine if youre driving towards the pit lane on BlackwoodGP Standard. Theres someone behind you, catching up. You indicate left to say youre pitting and he thinks' hmm he wants me to overtake on the left, here goes'. You turn into the pits and you leave a nice dent in the side of his car!

What a long post. I shut up now.
Yeah, GPL style would be good, nice idea!

I don't think we need different types of movements... just an arm movement to show we're unhappy with something or just to stipulate to other drivers... no need to make it complicated.

+1
Definitly a good suggestion,

+1
+1
+1, though why would you need this? We have got the "Blue flag you NOOB, get the **** **** *** **** ************* *¤%&!" button configured into your function keys...

I'd get rid of the horns anyway, they are just abused most of the time. And we could have those "hand-moves" in MRT, LX4,LX6 and RAC too. Please
Yeah. The finger would be nice with all these wreckers. Hand signals would be nice because some people block messages so Pressing F1 (Making pit stop this lap) does not get their attention but a Hand moving up from the car would.

lol, a get out of the car and puntch the living daylights out of the driver would be funny What I do with rammers is either BAN them if I have admin rights or go back out and play target practice with their rear bumper until they leave. (just annoy the heck out of them until they leave but not wrecking them)
+ 1,1! xD
Yes! Hand gestures..
+1
Wonder how hard is this to implement? If GPL could do it, why wouldn't be possible here? Now that i am thinking more of this, i really want it. I often dream of S2 Final...
Like, i am woking up, getting on the forum, seeing a thread about a S2 Final teaser.. I see new 3D cockpits, dirty windshield, key chain jerking from one side to another, and now these hand gestures... man... what a nice dream..
+1 Really a cool idea!
+1, but then in the way like

*shift+H*
wave
*shift+H*
hand
*shift+H*
finger
*shift+H*
thumb up
*shift+H*
thumb down