The online racing simulator
modding is cool
(17 posts, started )
modding is cool
hey guys, i love you modders keep up that good work!

btw. when does someone do the mod we are all waiting for *caugh*mcLarenf1*caugh*swappingmodels*caugh*

Let me think.... never? (at least until S3)
what has this todo with s3? some did it already and only heaven knows why they did not share that information (shadow cabinet???)

we will see, we will see...
#4 - filur
Modding a game while it's still subject to massive changes isn't a particularly good idea, even small changes can completely break a mod.
aha, and what is this "Unofficial Addons" part of the forum for? the mods to change your carsounds, change the interior, change backlights, change driversuits,cmon you can even put a dvd player and screen in your car...

so the one thing i still miss (allthough we all know it is possible:nod is still missing...
I hope LFS never gets modding on anything like a public scale, but if it has to happen, hopefully only after S3 and in a manner that keeps the rFactor syndrome away.

Kegetys is far far too clever to release his modding tools without permission from Scawen, so hopefully we'll never see how he did it.
#7 - filur
Quote from Fischfix :aha, and what is this "Unofficial Addons" part of the forum for? the mods to change your carsounds, change the interior, change backlights, change driversuits,cmon you can even put a dvd player and screen in your car...

so the one thing i still miss (allthough we all know it is possible:nod is still missing...

While these sort of mods (addons) surely require time and effort, they can't really be compared to the effort required to keep a "real" modification up to date with the ever-changing LFS. If the interior texture mapping changes, one might need to spend 30 minutes or so to re-align the pictures. If LFS was to switch to a later version of DirectX and change the way InSim works, Kegetys would probably need to spend several days getting the Ghostcar mod working again.

Modifying the car models requires knowledge of the model format, Scawen could probably change this format in 10 minutes, re-convert the source models and release a new patch, breaking every single addon car until someone reverse-engineers the model format all over again.
Quote from tristancliffe :I hope LFS never gets modding on anything like a public scale, but if it has to happen, hopefully only after S3 and in a manner that keeps the rFactor syndrome away.

Kegetys is far far too clever to release his modding tools without permission from Scawen, so hopefully we'll never see how he did it.

Agreed!!

One of the things I love about LFS is the ability to jump online at any time and find a near full server without having to mess around with mod compatability and the rest of it.
Quote from tristancliffe :I hope LFS never gets modding on anything like a public scale, but if it has to happen, hopefully only after S3 and in a manner that keeps the rFactor syndrome away.

Agreed.

Instead of allowing modding, the community should be able to provide ScaViEr with a model or part of or 2, but not whole mods. LFS should not become rCraptor.
Modding models isn't really allowed to by the devs, when they think the time is right (hopefully not very soon), they'll release the tools to modify the game.

I don't think modding would add anything to LFS as it is. I don't even care if there will be more progress, I like the game a lot the way it is. Of course it would be cool to have more options, but I don't need it.
#11 - Rob
The only reason why I would like to see more modding, is that currently there aren't many interesting cars in LFS (my opinion, obviously if you disagree, then that'll be your opinion...) and so I use Mekanik and LFS Tweak to help model other cars that I would like to see in the game.

I would really like to see an upto date version of tweak that had all of the old S1 abilities, such as changing wheel locations and adding downforce, but only for the single player game. Coupled to this it would be cool to see a few more car models, such as a mid-engined car similar to an NSX or Esprit and a saloon or two.

The one thing I do like about rFactor is the wide range of different cars and tracks that you can drive, which will no doubt help to continually revitalise the gaming experience.

cheers,
Rob
Quote : Kegetys is far far too clever to release his modding tools without permission from Scawen, so hopefully we'll never see how he did it.

He is one of three to have done this so far, and i'm sure more could if they tried. Modding the cars is not terribly difficult, just time consuming to figure out the first initial steps.

The only thing keeping these mods from appearing is that the respect those who have done it have for the requests of the devs not to release it.

However, i'm sure we all still remember the U18 aero hack? Not everyone has that respect, and i'm sure we'll see unnoficial mods in time.
#13 - Jakg
the only mod your talking about WILL NOT be realesed. End of.
Quote from Kicker92 :maybee mods are in Unofficial FORUMS?

Why dont you think in FULL S2 like a mod? wooooooow great mod man, a lot new cars and tracks... any mod better that this??
i want a t-shirt: i drove almost 70.000km in lfs and all i got was S2 alpha.

BTW. i think we will get some second bodys for some of the cars really soon...
Quote from Fischfix :i want a t-shirt: i drove almost 70.000km in lfs and all i got was S2 alpha.

Looking at your stats on lfsworld, you didnt really use "all you got" to its full potential.
that's true. but i am an oval junkie, adicted to throttle...

but i will change that... btw. is there a guy in lfs who has a pb on every single of the 9hundretwhatsoever car/track combos in lfs?

modding is cool
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG