The online racing simulator
LFS dedi linux problem (wine)
(23 posts, started )
LFS dedi linux problem (wine)
I'm currently running a 20 slot dedicated server off a linux box in the US (100mbit).. it works fine however every 24 - 48 hours the server seems to remove everyone and people are not able to join until i restart it which is annoying to do everyday.. (i dont control the box) i ask someone to restart it for me. Theyre getting tired of it and want a fix of some sort to prevent the issue. When myself or anyone else try to join it will give the user a message saying 'Did not recieve guest info (Lost connection to host)'

Has anyone else had, or are getting the same problem? and is there a way to fix?

Thanks very much..

-Brez
hi,
i have the same problem with my wine-lfs-servers...
it seems wine just kills the udp-port (or only new connections??) so noone can connect, but the server is still in the list @ lfsworld.net...

when you are on the server and the server has a not-ending lag, wine is crashing. but you still can chat. so you can type '/reinit' as admin and the server will restart itself.

ive made a small insim-console-tool, so you can connect via insim to the server and do all the admin-stuff you need to, including '/reinit'...

but i have never really tested this, its just an idea which could work

so there is no real solution for this problem

mfg,
daniel
Yeah, the server is still listed however i cannot connnect.. Is there a way i can connect to it and have full admin use therefore being able to restart it?
only way to restart it is to login to ssh and kill the process
Quote from dUmAsS :only way to restart it is to login to ssh and kill the process

mh, have you tried '/reinit'? it resets the server, maybe it can help

@cs.brez: you could idle 1 or 2 days on your server and try to restart it when it is broken...
Ok ok, i tried /reinit when the server had been restarted..

was just me in server, typed /reinit and pressed enter like usual.. lost connection to host and killed the server completely, very odd.

On the other hand, has someone ever discussed creating a LFS dedicated linux server client? I cant understand why one was never released in the first place seeing most servers nowadays are hosted via linux.

Oh well..

-Brez
its not high up on scawen's todo list. but lately a load more people have been talking about the wine problems so it might push it up the list a little (fingers crossed)
#8 - dopez
maybe a simple cron job that restarts the lfs server at a time its not used so much would at least be a temporary fix? (i've seen this problem too and i think i'll just try that for now as a fix)
#9 - dopez
well okay, seems im suffering from this too indeed, maybe if we can keep this thread high enough in the forum we could get their attention for this

im curious, does this happen with all wine versions? (i'm running debian sarge's version (20050310))
this happened with all wine-versions i tried - so i think its just a bug in wine
maybe the next version will be fine, wine will be in beta-state in the near future
I have a similar problem.

The server stopped sending/receiving car pos updates, nobody could see each other. For what it's worth, the master server took forever to show the server again once I restarted it.
I have this problem too. if anyones in there at the time it goes weird, they just lag out. Happens randomly every 1-5 days it seems, Need a proper linux LFS server
Yes it would be nice to have a "proper" LFS server. Again, my previous offers of assistance still stands to the dev's and the community; I can compile, test, assist with patches, etc. or work on reverse engineering the protocol - I just don't have time to do this last one alone due to personal issues.

With regards to those having issues; setup a cron to kill the wine process and restart it every X days, at a time where by your server is usually empty and run it as a user with appropriate privileges to kill the wine and lfs server processes.
I run on debian and have this problem too. I've given up keeping the server running because of this. Wish they would make a linux server version
#15 - h0tz
Hi, first post here

I (i.e. a friend of mine) have the problem with wine & lfs too...
But the problem only appears, when another friend and me joins the server and race together for some time...like 10-30mins... :/
If we are not together on the server it runs fine.
i wish i could get mine to work period... i got wine... but i cant figure out how to get this stuff to work proper... im running Mandriva Linux on my other server machine... and well linux is also new to me, just learnin some stuff, but id love to get this to work on linux. i got a tutorial off the net to get it to work, but it kinda quotes Suse Linux. Can someone help me out, if you like, you can start from the beginig, that would help me out... or if you want to know where im stuck... basicly lfs dedi wont even start... dosnt show the "host63392.txt" file.

I read the tutorial from www.powie.de

please help
First thing, you have to do always, if you have Problems.
Tell ppl exactly what you are using.
Which Linux-Version. Is it installed correctly? sure?
Which Wine-Version. Is it installed correctly? sure?
Do you have a grafics-card in that Server-PC?
Which error-msgs do you get?
What have you tryed else?

For error-searching: Look into the deb.txt, there you can see at which point the Serverload stops. The host63xxx.txt only get created if the server runs.

I would help you out, but without enough informations, nobody can help you.
Linux Version: Mandrakelinux Version 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) i586 (aka Mandriva Linux)
Wine Version:wine-0.9.19-mdk.i586.rpm

I have a graphics card on the server machine,

Errors:
- Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
- Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
- Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/guberx/lfs', starting in the Windows directory.
- wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\lfs.exe": Module not found

which to me doesnt make any sence on why it would be looking for those

I just fallowed the powie tutorial.
How are you calling LFS under Wine?

My guess is that you're not giving the correct path to Wine, for LFS. A few things to remember: unix and unix like systems are case sensitive. For example lfs.exe and LFS.exe would be 2 totally different files, even if they were in the same directory. Why am I making this point? Because by default all LFS executables are in upper case.

Also you might want to take a brief look at the section titled "Detailed Guide: Linux with WINE" in this thread? It's not as detailed as I'd like it to be, but I am working on a third revision at the moment.
well i kinda figured it was case sensitive, either way i tried still came up with those errors... like, if i used the lfs.pid way... it would show that file, but with the lfs.sh file i got off of the powie site, it started giving me those errors. I will come back to this later, its night time for me and i gotta work in the morn. if theres more info u need from me, just ask
Have you tryed this commandline?

nohup wine LFS.exe /cfg=setup.cfg >/dev/null & echo $! > lfs.pid

Quote from Guber-X :
- Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
- Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
- Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/guberx/lfs', starting in the Windows directory.
- wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\lfs.exe": Module not found

Clearly you either do not have a proper directory structure in ~/.wine, or the files/directories there are not accessible. You can try to:
  • Remove ~/.wine directory and try to run wine again. It will create a new directory automatically.
  • If ~/.wine directory does not exists and wine can't create it, you probably do not have "wineprefixcreate" utility installed. It usually comes with wine, but maybe for some reason it is in a different package, so search for a package named like wine-programs, or wine-utils, or wine-tools, something like that.
  • If it still does not work, try running wineprefixcreate manually and see what it says. Also check your WINEPREFIX environment variable, maybe it is set to something stupid.
Properly created ~/.wine directory should look like this:

.wine
|-- cachedmetrics.:0.0
|-- dosdevices
| |-- c: -> ../drive_c
| `-- z: -> /
|-- drive_c
| |-- Program Files
| | `-- Common Files
| `-- windows
| |-- command
| | `-- start.exe