The online racing simulator
Sound, does it make a difference?
Hi All,

I have been thinking this for a while now. You listen to GTR, and GTL and GTR2, and samples from RACE, yes they are all samples, and I know LFS works in a very different way and more complicated way.

But my question to myself was, does sounds really make a difference?

Well tonight, that got answered.

I finally got CSR working properly, and jumped in the XFR at SO Town. Not only was I competative ( which is highly unusual atm ) but I knocked off 2secs off my pb. Fluke I though, I one off, so I only went and knocked off some more time.

So I thought, OK, single played, BL XFR, lets see. Jesus, only lap 2 and knocked off half a sec. Nothing else changed ( even the amount of alcofrol intake ) just the sounds.

Now I ask you all, Does sounds "really" make that much of a difference and if SCA and co changed the sounds, would the WR times come down at a major rate?
how can you change the sound?
I've been mostly playing with the CSR sound editor instead of actually playing but still first time ever in LFS I feel like I'm driving a noisy, ugly and nasty HP beast race car. The sound immersion just isn't there with the original generated sounds.
Fordman, the sound doesn't make you faster :doh:
lmao
Quote from Tweaker :Fordman, the sound doesn't make you faster :doh:

Tweak, as per usual, the American community just doesn't understand the question, and in turn, just releases the Panic button and answers the obvious illepall Are you Bush in Disguise?

Tweak, does sound make you faster? Does it make you feel more intune with the sim, does it make you feel like you are actually doing that speed, does it this, does it that.

Tweak, as this is not a real car, its all about simulated. Does this CSR "simulated" sound make you faster than the standard LFS sound?

Man, somtimes a man had to bend over backwards to explain the obvious. Sometimes, men just bend over, but I am not one of them

Let me explain again.... Does sound "make you faster" from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE?
Yes, CSR make me much faster! (example FZR).

Because...
Quote from nesrulz :Yes, CSR make me much faster! (example FZR).

Thankyou Nesrulz, the perfect answer

I found the same, just wanted to know if it was a fluke.

Obviously not
Quote from Fordman :Tweak, as per usual, the American community just doesn't understand the question, and in turn, just releases the Panic button and answers the obvious illepall Are you Bush in Disguise?

Tweak, does sound make you faster? Does it make you feel more intune with the sim, does it make you feel like you are actually doing that speed, does it this, does it that.

Tweak, as this is not a real car, its all about simulated. Does this CSR "simulated" sound make you faster than the standard LFS sound?

Man, somtimes a man had to bend over backwards to explain the obvious. Sometimes, men just bend over, but I am not one of them

Let me explain again.... Does sound "make you faster" from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE?

Yet again someone pulls that card on us and says we don't understand. Listen to what you said, and how you said it Fordman... before pulling that cowardly remark of a country. You said twice that when you enabled CSR that you "bam, beat your PB by seconds". Gimme a break. Do you really think SOUND can make you faster in LFS? LFS's default sound engine is as accurate as you can get to hearing what the car does. If you had it in reallife, it'd be godlike. CSR make things sound more realistic with uneeded sounds that only add to the immersion. Transmission whine, some growls and bells and whistles.... and that makes you faster???. They don't make you faster, and if you were using it and somehow surprised you were getting faster times... that happens all the time to everyone, and not because of the sounds. I ocassionally come and go through tracks and beat PBs right away, I am sure people experience this all the time.

Personal experience, blah, say what you want. But people improve their PB's all the time just because it can happen and they are driving better. I can play LFS without sound and still get a WR if I wanted to. And predicting that LFS would soon get more world records if CSR was used is just absurd and hilarious of you to say so.

CSR is highly inaccurate, and is said to produce sounds by the car's speed, not wheel speed or anything else that is "proper" like with LFS's basic sound engine.

This is just a joke. And shame on you for even coming up with that "per usual" mumbo jumbo, you should know better (wait you don't, irregular sound effects give you hyperspace abilities, I shoulda known). :rolleyes:
Faster or not, i find that i am enjoying the RWD much more with the CSR.. and i think i am better in LX6 because of it..
As for sound sensation and how we react ...

Try to watch any Alfred Hitchcock movie first with sound, and with no sound afterwards. He was master of suspense, but watching his classics without sound(music) is like, well ...

Having REAL sound is as important for immersion factor, as having believable 3D enviroment.

And, btw, there is NO synthisizer in the world (except hugely DSP demanding physical modeling synths which sound believable) which would give you a better REAL representation of orchestra string section or piano than sample replay, for example.

Sample replay is way to go!

Cheers
Quote from Boris Lozac :Faster or not, i find that i am enjoying the RWD much more with the CSR.. and i think i am better in LX6 because of it..

Good example, because I believe CSR is only making you feel faster.... you are just enjoying the car and how it is responding to the sound. Not to mention, people are trying cars and combos with CSR just to be 'excited' of the custom sounds and to see how they work. Likely, when I first tried it, I was fast in the FZR at Westhill, but it's not like I was so unbelievably fast that I had to praise it for making it a mental-speed-hack.

To me, LFS is rarely based on sounds to make you fast. When you are a fast driver at the limit for a world record, you feel the car through the wheel, and know the track down to the last milimeter. The point at which you reach the limit is not felt through sounds, you can only go so fast with how well your setup and skills allow you to go. If you were too focused on the sound, then you are relying more on auditory senses than the preferred way of feeling with your hands (steering), feet (pedals), and body (g forces). Most important parts to driving the car to say the least.
I tried CSR last night and it just didn't do anything for me. I like the gear whine, but the engine noises seemed worse to me, not better. Strange, considering some of the previews I've heard sound much better than the in-game sound. I also didn't hear any of the brake squeal that's supposed to be in the newest version.

I must be doing something wrong, because CSR for me doesn't sound nearly as good as the previews I've heard.
Quote from Tweaker :Good example, because I believe CSR is only making you feel faster.... you are just enjoying the car and how it is responding to the sound.

Exactly... if i am enjoying driving particular car, that means that i will be faster in it because i enjoy driving it. If i am not enjoying it, that means i won't have the will to drive it better..
So, sound doesn't give me the extra horse power, it is making me enjoy the ride, and enjoy the car..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Exactly... if i am enjoying driving particular car, that means that i will be faster in it because i enjoy driving it. If i am not enjoying it, that means i won't have the will to drive it better..
So, sound doesn't give me the extra horse power, it is making me enjoy the ride, and enjoy the car..

Damn right!
Quote from danilop :And, btw, there is NO synthisizer in the world (except hugely DSP demanding physical modeling synths which sound believable) which would give you a better REAL representation of orchestra string section or piano than sample replay, for example.

Sample replay is way to go!

Difference is that real car engine doesn't play sound samples, it produces the sound just like the sound engine in LFS. Too bad that only LFS, Todd Wasson and netKar Pro are the only games trying to create generated sound engine which will the best way to do it in the future.

I don't think CSR makes anyone faster but it definately might help you get "in" the game because of the immersion^10. On the other hand it currently might just distord driving because of the inaccurate audio feedback, especially now when you hear two different sound sources at the same time.

Quote from Cue-Ball :I tried CSR last night and it just didn't do anything for me. I like the gear whine, but the engine noises seemed worse to me, not better. Strange, considering some of the previews I've heard sound much better than the in-game sound. I also didn't hear any of the brake squeal that's supposed to be in the newest version.

I must be doing something wrong, because CSR for me doesn't sound nearly as good as the previews I've heard.

Maybe you have just wrong volume settings. Proper way (at least for me) is to reduce LFS car sound volume so that you can still hear it in the background so it nicely blends with the CSR sounds.

Brake squeal is there, at least on the FXO/FXR/FZR that are included in the 0.3 version. Are you sure you were trying 0.3 version?
I was instantly much slower and less confident. Didn't know when to shift, how high / low the revs were, whether I was going off the boost etc. But it was fun! I digged the transmission whine a lot, yummy
Quote from deggis : On the other hand it currently might just distord driving because of the inaccurate audio feedback, especially now when you hear two different sound sources at the same time.

This is the problem I had with it. It sounded muddled and messy.

Quote :Maybe you have just wrong volume settings. Proper way (at least for me) is to reduce LFS car sound volume so that you can still hear it in the background and it nicely blends with the CSR sounds.

I didn't change any of my LFS volume settings, but I did lower CSR to level 1. It still didn't sound good. I'd really like to know what volume settings people are using for their mp3 captures that sound so great.

Quote :Brake squeal is there, at least on the FXO/FXR/FZR that are included in the 0.3 version. Are you sure you were trying 0.3 version?

Yup. That's the only version I've tried. I didn't hear anything in the FZR but admittedly spent most of my time in the LX6 trying to get one of the sound packs working. I'll try turning down LFS's engine noise, but i'm wondering if that will make my opponents cars quieter too?
Quote :Strange, considering some of the previews I've heard sound much better than the in-game sound. I also didn't hear any of the brake squeal that's supposed to be in the newest version.

I must be doing something wrong,

I had a similar experience. Like some sounds were missing. Actually, one whole car sound was missing. But after restarting LFS a couple of times, everything settled in nicely. I don't know what happened...

I think in Deggis's video the gear shift sounds are raised in volume somewhat. Can't give an accurate story on sound because it's past midnight here and my headphones are broke..
Not tried CSR but I can race as fast with my sound muted. Of course I'm not quite as consistent because I can't HEAR what the car is doing, which is an important aspect, dynamic sounds will always win on that point.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I didn't change any of my LFS volume settings, but I did lower CSR to level 1. It still didn't sound good. I'd really like to know what volume settings people are using for their mp3 captures that sound so great.

Don't lower CSR volume... just leave it to 10 and put car sound volume slider in LFS something between 8.0-13.00, some cars might sound better with even lower setting. Whatever you prefer but I think it sounds the best when CSR sounds are louder than LFS synth sound which is in the "background".

Quote :I'll try turning down LFS's engine noise, but i'm wondering if that will make my opponents cars quieter too?

yes, that slider is actually overall sound volume.
Quote from deggis :yes, that slider is actually overall sound volume.

In that case I won't bother. Having a good sounding car isn't worth it if I have to give up all the other car's sounds. I'll just use CSR with the engine noise off. That way I still get the gear whine, at least.
#25 - Gunn
I am consistently faster with my sound turned up loud than with it turned down. I also believe I became faster when I bought a proper setup (sub woofer and satelitte speakers etc) simply because I can now hear every little bit of feedback.
These small gains make a difference, at least in being consistently fast over the entire race. The reason seems to be that better information feedback allows better reactions and better timing which in turn may lead to faster lap times or less misjudgements.

So for me sound does make a difference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG