The online racing simulator
What should be in a racing game!!!
Hello,
Live for speed is really solid game. But I have something that should be in the game. GHOST CAR is missing - the best fun when more people are playing on one computer and creating records. In every racing game are really important the graphics - reason is that driver drives the car according what he sees...so I think you should make some graphic improvement such as AS and AF setting in visual options.
#2 - robps
I'd be surprised if a ghost car is ever added to LFS officially, as it's just SO unrealistic to be laughable - I'll certainly never ever use it. Real racing drivers don't get the chance to have an imaginary record holder float about in front of them, so why should I?

Of course, real racing drivers can't watch replays of said record laps from the original drivers eye view hundreds of times, and then do a million laps on the same track/car in the same weather... But there's unrealistic (game advantages) and then there's UNREALISTIC (ghostcars).

Ati control panel can enable AA/AF, either forced on or via application profiles.
I go with Tristan

Quote from JohnyK :In every racing game are really important the graphics - reason is that driver drives the car according what he sees...so I think you should make some graphic improvement such as AS and AF setting in visual options.

I agree that visual clues are very important. However I don't quite understand how graphic improvements could make the clues any better (at least the as/af settings). I think lsf already draws the important stuff very nicely.

If you have time to watch the scenery (or skins), you're not driving fast enough
I'm sure that real teams would have already created and installed ghost car alike systems to their race cars if there really was any benefit to gain from such system.

And is there anything more frustrating thing than a half-visible car flickering in front of you while you are trying to drive the LX8 as fast as you can?
You guys would be able to DISABLE it.

+1 for ghost car
A ghostcar might help a complete beginner get the lines right or let a mediocre driver see where to improve when he's stuck at a laptime. But you will never ever be able to drive nearly WR like speeds when there's a damn half transparent car blocking the view and distracting you all the time.

That said, a ghostcar shouln't be implemented to LFS itself, the ghostcar mod is already enough for those who really really want it. As a (better) alternative you can also use LFS Replay Analyser to see where you're losing time.

While I wouldn't want to play LFS without AA/AF, it has already been said that you can easily force that with the gfx card drivers. Sure, an ingame option would be easier for some people, but I think such a feature is really low on the priority list (if it's on it at all).

In conclusion: -1
@burnout69

With that logic I could suggest a McDonalds drive-in in the pitlane. "You guys could always ignore it and not order food."

I just expressed my thoughts of a ghost-car, which I understood this thread was made for. To raise opinions and discussion.
Frokki, you could add whatever crossed your mind, but we are talking about a racing sim, if you think a mcdonalds and a pit lane are related...you're wrong.

However, a ghostcar IS related to a racing sim.

Thats the (I thought obvious) difference.
Quote from BurnOut69 :However, a ghostcar IS related to a racing sim.

Thats the (I thought obvious) difference.

Now the hardcore racing crew will just hit back with:
It's related to a racing game not a racing simulation.

I'm having a distinct feeling of deja vu here.
#13 - Jakg
Ghost car would be handy - but there is a mod for the determined

"AS and AF", if you mean AA/AF - do it in the driver settings (like you do for most games)
Quote from xaotik :Now the hardcore racing crew will just hit back with:
It's related to a racing game not a racing simulation.

I'm having a distinct feeling of deja vu here.

Problem is, that is just it, it is a simulation. Scawen and company are not trying to make a game. They are trying to make the most realistic racing simulation that is possible with current technology while allowing folks who don't have the latest and greatest still race (ie, allowing mouse/keyboard users). And thus in racing, if you want to get better, you record your laps and analyze them using recordings and telemetry data, not drive around with a transparent car in front of you.
Quote from mrodgers :Problem is, that is just it, it is a simulation

Really?, in that case, one of the first things that needs to be done is race starts, because it is FAR from realistic as it is, and any talk of, "this is realistic and this isnt", is pretty mute while such a huge kick in the balls to reality remains.

Dan,
#16 - axus
I'm with Tristan also - the thing makes me gouge out my eyes on the odd occasion that I drive GTR2 in Time Trial mode. Its just more distracting and horrible. If you need this in order to be fast, you're taking away from the precision and skill required to race and making it a dull, repetetive, "how well can I copy the WR holder" experience.
remove virtual mirror, mouse & keyboard, gamepad...control, fov & head movements, skid - wind - echo volume sliders, disable shadows - trees - rubber and hotlap mode because its unrealistic as well. illepall

It can help improve your laptime but it can also, mostly after a few laps when its getting hot start getting on the nerves. That should be a indication that theres no more need for a ghostcar. Turn it off "on the fly" and there you go...

+1 for ghostcar
Quote from 510N3D :remove virtual mirror

Good idea
Quote from 510N3D :mouse & keyboard

I wouldn't complain
Quote from 510N3D :gamepad...control

uh huh
Quote from 510N3D :fov & head movements

Yeah, could be fixed to a default value
Quote from 510N3D :skid - wind - echo volume sliders

Hmmm, might be possible as every uses a different sound system
Quote from 510N3D :disable shadows

I saw some real shadows today
Quote from 510N3D :trees

Trees are real
Quote from 510N3D :rubber

Discovered a long time ago, and used for many things like making tyres - perfectly real, just limit the adjustment thereof
Quote from 510N3D :hotlap mode because its unrealistic as well.

Partially agree, but you can sort of hotlap in real life, you'd just start from the pitlane, and it's called sprinting.

I'm being sarcastic because he was too, I don't REALLY agree with most of the above
lol "trees are real" are you sure?

If you want a realistic racing simulator you cant turn off things like that because its not realistic. I cant turn off mud, dust, shadows and trees on real track because i dont like em or they may disturb my concentration. But you may read the other post ive made at danowats thread but i think youve allready multi quoted me there as well.
In the other thread I agree with you, and I was being a bit sarcastic in this one to be honest (see the white text at the bottom of that ^ post ).

I fully agree that SOME unrealistic stuff NEEDS to stay, as we are at a desk on a computer. But I would like a certain amount of options that ensure everyone is on a level playing field, primarily for league use. That is why I would like (but would NOT like everyone to use all the time) forced cockpit views, a certain minimum detail level (so people don't turn off smoke, and something that deleting dust.dds won't overcome), maybe certain controller requirments (someone might want to make a Manual Clutchers League, so forcing (and verifying) a manual clutch might be nice.

In no way should Hardcore Mode be taken as default (though maybe some aspects of it would benefit pick-and-play races), it's just that we/I want certain options for the type of simulation we like to play at.

Even then I'd spend the majority of my LFS time on public servers where minimaps and some HUDS are a good idea as they allow a more instant gratification.
If you want a ghost car, Kegetys has made a ghost car mod. It may need some graphics tweaks, but it still works.

Why am I first to say about the mod
You ignored the 2nd post?
@tristan:

yeah mate sarcasm, love it or hate it, i know that and thats why i spend this buddy -> . Damn i hate white text...where is it ?? lol..anyway...

Right now, a hardcore mode (optionally) is the only thing i can think of that can end this stupid discussion about realism in a simulation. Id like to have that once, would be a challenge i bet but also id like to jump back to the "normal" servers and just "play" the game

edit: Manual Clutchers League? Im racing for ages with manual clutch, its a challenge for sure but youre getting used to it and once youre not wasting time anymore but the opposite of that. Same goes to manual gearing i think. But if you are going for the aspect of equality then the differences could be even bigger then before. Maybe once the game simulates also the "point of sharpening" (sorry, how does it called when the clutch ends and the current gear gets full torque?) ...then it could be interesting.
#24 - dev
+1 for ghost car

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG