The online racing simulator
LFS Progress, 2006
(173 posts, started )
LFS Progress, 2006
Hello to all.

This is just a really quick note as I am starting to see more questions and frustration, from people who want an update. I hope this post will help to explain how things are going.

I first want to remind you how we work here. We don't work to a specified schedule or an exact feature list. We have our lists of things to do and we get on with them. We do allow ourselves to get sidetracked onto related tasks as we go, or even do completely unrelated things which we feel like doing, along the way. It's a good way to work, because we can follow our inspiration and interest, and so get a lot done. This is one reason why Eric and I left the company we used to work for, and set about working on our own. The only disadvantage is that sometimes, a planned thing takes longer to complete, while we finish something that wasn't planned. But that doesn't worry us at all - it just makes some people get impatient, sometimes.

Although progress is good, this year has been the slowest one yet. There are a lot of reasons for that, but none of them are really permanent.

On my side... as you know my first child was born this year, so there have been a lot of home improvements being done, and a lot of old rubbish to clear away, after years of letting things pile up when I only had a motorbike. Another issue has been the neighbours building. We are attached to a house which has had a loft conversion and a large rear extension. I won't describe what a building site is like, if you don't already know, you won't believe my description of the amount of dust and noise! Anyway, that has been on the go for 7 months now and they are really in the final stages, so most days are peaceful now. Of course Leo himself is quite a distraction and something to get used to. But you don't want to miss out on the first months of your first baby's life. He won't be small for long!

On Eric's side... he was finally able to buy his own house, something that was impossible in the earlier years of LFS and he was forced to waste a lot of money renting a house. Now with S2 sales, he got the chance to get his own house again, so of course he took that opportunity. That kept him off his work for a little while. As anyone knows, who buys a second hand house, there is a certain amount of work to be done before you move in.

So, I hope you can now understand the reasons for our slower progress in 2006. This is by no means an apology! We never give estimates of when things will be done - we are very careful about that because we don't want to be in the position of failing to deliver on our promises. We are very happy with the improvements to our homes and our lives, and I am happy to report that our improved environments are helping us to continue working on this project we love so much! You can look forward to many improvements to LFS - graphical, physical and audible. We won't give any estimates though, of when any particular patch or version will be out. But we are progressing towards it day by day.
it's allways nice to read about LFS progress
Hopefully that'll shut the complainers up (for a while at least)

I totally appreciate what a building site is like - have lived in 2 houses getting loft conversions done. And of course children are a life-changing event too, as you well know

Grats to Eric on the house - when are we all getting invited round for the party?
#4 - AndyC
Great Post, thanxs for the update!

Great news about Eric's house! Glad it's all starting to come together for you.

I look forward to the future updates! No rush though. Not that it would make any difference if I said hurry up!

Keep up the good work
Andy.
It's nice to hear that you are working toward TBO class balancing, and that one day tyre heat wont change so slowly when you first get into your balanced TBO car, and that eventually balanced TBO will wear out their tyres and, someday in the future, we'll have balanced TBO's to go with the great improvement that increased sound range should give the STCC broadcasts.

A pleasure as always to hear the status report, and it's nice to know that some time we will have a balanced TBO...

Btw: Is there any chance that TBO class balancing is on the cards?
really great to hear that you're still so enthusiastic about LFS
somehow, every time i read about someone complaining or being impatient, i'm getting really afraid you might some day get too annoyed with it and quit development of LFS
but now i'm more than ever looking forward to another couple years of LFS-update-joyness
#7 - CSU1
give your neighbour a slap for me...keeping that new born up with the noise
:slap:
Quote from Scawen :We are very happy with the improvements to our homes and our lives, and I am happy to report that our improved environments are helping us to continue working on this project we love so much!

And I'm happy for you guys!

Quote from Scawen :
You can look forward to many improvements to LFS - graphical, physical and audible. We won't give any estimates though, of when any particular patch or version will be out. But we are progressing towards it day by day.

I'll be looking forward to the improvements and while patiently waiting for that, I'll be enjoying S2 Alpha like I've done for over a year now. Still so much to explore!

PS Congrats with your new house Eric!
Quote from Becky Rose :Btw: Is there any chance that TBO class balancing is on the cards?

Think you've done a great job balancing the TBO with your revolutionary points system anyway
LFS is probably very close to what you had in mind when started this project a few years ago, and is easy to get tired or lazy at this point, and search for new things to do...but please, keep on working on LFS, no mather how slow the developing goes. This game is the one who keeps me playing
#11 - Goop
I never understood what the rush was anyhow, when we've got an excellent product already.

Thanks again, keep it up
ahh good to hear
Good to hear some non-test-patch-related words from you

I need to bookmark the link to this thread, so I finally have the answer to all those progress update request threads that will surely pop up in the next few months
Nice words, and I'm not even slightly worried about your progress or enthusiasm. LFS is so good in so many respects that I can live with a longer development time - indeed, knowing that the sim I play is constantly evolving and improving is one of the main reasons I play it and support it.

Congrats to Eric as well for geting (back?) on the property ladder - hope it all goes well, and I look forward to his equivalent Kitchen Progress Report threads.

But I would make a call for this to be a Sticky.
interesting
awesome news.
It's not very often we get to hear off-game progress reports.
It's a nice insite into your personal lives and how hectic, exciting and productive your lives can be while still being able to make a top-notch kick arse game

Good luck for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i'm never impatient when it comes to updates. Strangely enough i see every test patch as a gift and i don't take it for granted as many people do.
Looking forward to the future of LFS and the steps it'll take.
Thank you

[edit]I second Tristans request. this will be a nice sticky to let people know how it's all going down
Does that mean...
S3 isn't ready for Christmas 2006?

Great read, thanks a plenty mr. Dev!

"LFS is like making love to a beautyful woman."
There's just one thing I need to get out in the open (and this is in no way an accusation towards anybody in the LFS dev team)...

If Eric's got his own house, and it needed work... Then where the heck is the corresponding forum thread?

I think most people would just like to read some kind of update, even if it's just to say there's no update.

Enjoy the new house, Eric. Enjoy Leo, Scawen... Have fun with LFS Alpha, community. I'll patiently wait for the next update, and continue enjoying what we have so far.

Thanks.

Edit: @Tristan's sticky: +1
Good to hear.

Isn't it special that the game you like is always improving? And like a little child you wait for a new patch, like you do for xmas. Imagine LFS is completely finished! The world would stop turning.

Scawen I wanna thank you for this Sim (and the free camera which makes it possible to do all the movies that keep LFS in the news).
Whilst it's nice to know how things are going for you, rather than give us the reasons why the progress was/is slow, how about what has been done, what is being done, and what is coming in the near future?.

Or is the post a roundabout way of saying pretty much nothing has been done since the last big patch?

Dan,
Go Go Go Scavier!

LFS FOREVER!
Audible improvement!

That'll bring me back!
Good work guys!

P.S: If Eric has been able to buy a new house with his part of lfs sales you should have earned much. An house here costs not less then 3 hundred thousant euros...

i never saw a problem with the production, the last thing i want is to have a rushed S3. It's still good to here how progress is going though.

LFS Progress, 2006
(173 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG