STCC Round 2 Video
(79 posts, started )
STCC Round 2 Video
MQ Version
FileFront: http://files.filefront.com//;6013874;;/
LQ Version
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZnXNcb6slA
Direct from STCC: http://www.bansheestudios.com/ ... /STCC2-TouringCars-LQ.wmv

Here is round 2 of the Sim Touring Car Cup (first round here: http://www.simtouringcarcup.com/Race%201%20Results.html).

You can get extensive statistics, details of inquiries, replays, desktop pictures and a slideshow here: http://www.simtouringcarcup.com/Race%202%20Results.html.

Special thanks this episode go to Mike Johnson for his work in salvaging the audio stream, Mike put a lot of work recovering the audio. It admittedly isn't perfect as we had a lot of technical issues this time but with a deadline looming we've had to get it out there and Mike's work was fantastic, he's also a commentator this round alongside Tristan Cliffe, so thanks to Tristan too.

Thanks also to Sam Hopkinson & The UKCT, and the MG Power team for the use of their servers for the racing. Aaron Frensley for the STCC theme music. XRS Hosting for the new London Docklands web server which are proving much more stable and reliable, Matt Gunn and Bobby Islam for their assistance in stewarding, and of course all the drivers for their dedication to a great series.
#2 - Bean0
MQ version mirrored - here
Downloading. Needless to say, after seeing the last part, I am expecting pure excellence. Anything else will be a pure let down

omg
I have just watched it from start to finish and theres only 1 word to discribe it:

Brilliant

The whole thing fealt like a real TV program. There was one thing that seemed slightly strange and that was the diffrence in pitch of voices Theres Tristan that sounds like a women, and Mike sounding like a real butch man. But that just added a bit of humor to the whole thing which was great.

The whole idea and the operation of it all was top notch, if we can possibly squeese a slight bit more detail then that would be the icing on the cake.
"The young lad from his own home town :P"

I still think it would have been neat like in Race 1 to show the heats and the sprint race, but this way is still OK and really shows my amazing leading of the race for 7 laps.

And as wrong as it is, I'm still laughing my ass off at James Rowe's amazing approach at the T1 complex.

AND A MISTAKE!!! Mike said that Begeman was driving an XRT, when in fact he was in a FXO.
hehe, classic Murray Johnson
Nice video!
I was wondering... did somebody make up the names for the corners (like Sahara Corner)?
I always find it hard to describe what turn I mean.. would be great if all corners had a name
I suggest you upload it to video google instead of youtube (yet it being bit faster) since theres less loss of quality,keep up the good work Becky Rose, i recomend this one to everyone.
Thank you, I have uploaded to Google Video but it takes several days for the links to go live.

The names are made up, usually by me, but I guess they could give a common name for others to use outside of the STCC.
Very nice job again, although I'm still missing a proper intro... Just one thing that nearly ruined the whole experience was Mike... He HAS to make sure that he ONLY records the signal from his microphone... I heard echoes of Tristan several times, which lets the whole broadcast down... I hope this will be fixed till next time...
Great effort guys and girls.

btw, am i the only one reacting to the behaviour of some drivers in that race?
Quote from felplacerad :btw, am i the only one reacting to the behaviour of some drivers in that race?

No (but it has been certainly noted in the past )
ive got to say i liked the first one better but its probably only the novelty factor which made the first instalment stand out more

anyway nice vid once again
the audio was obviously not as good as in the last vid and it seems as if the voip application you two used had a lot of delay in it (mostly noticeable during lap 1) which made the commentator interaction i was hoping for impossible
so theres much room for improvement in the audio department

videowise you stepped it up a notch
the in car views were better (as suggested you used custom cameras) the mouse work seems smoother, more replays, less switching away from overtaking maneuvers

-insert a bit of my own personal vendetta against wmv here-
Thank you, btw,
Quote :am i the only one reacting to the behaviour of some drivers in that race?"

No - the stewards where very active after the race and took some very firm decisions. You can find out the details on the STCC stewarding forum or wait for the announcements at round 3, I wont bore you all here . What we dont do is take action mid-race, because the decisions would be irreversible.

Quote :insert a bit of my own personal vendetta against wmv here

I actually think wmv is one of the first things Microsoft have ever got right. No other codec gives such small sizes, good quality, and works on all PC systems without installing un-trusted extras, and works on Mac's with 1 download from Microsoft (which is at least guaranteed to be safe). WMV is actually quite good, in my personal opinion. It certainly beats divX - believe me, I wasted weeks and weeks rendering stuff in DivX and throwing it away just to start over and the installer now comes with malware (yahoo toolbar).
#15 - Smax
Quote from bbman :Very nice job again, although I'm still missing a proper intro... Just one thing that nearly ruined the whole experience was Mike... He HAS to make sure that he ONLY records the signal from his microphone... I heard echoes of Tristan several times, which lets the whole broadcast down... I hope this will be fixed till next time...

I apologise for spoiling your fun. However I feel I must point out that since my speakers were not connected [Tristan and I were both on headsets] the echoes you refer to were most probably caused by a combination of momentary connection lag and the use of Team speak as the medium for making the recording, rather then feedback at my end. I suspect the same problem would have occured had it been Tristan rather than me who was making the local recording.

Tristan and I were both very short of time, and thus did not have the opportunity to experiment with recording methods, we just had to get on and do it. The "echoes" were far more common in the un-edited version I can assure you. The reason that some are still present after editing is that I couldn't cut all of them out without leaving great big holes in the commentary.

For round three the situation will improve considerably since Team Speak will not be used again, and unless I can find the time to get a better microphone with a better high frequency response so that I can bring both the pitch and quality of my voice closer to Tristan's, it is unlikely that it will be me commentating. The STCC has a pool of commentators available, and like anything else which is new and on a very tight timescale, results will be patchy at first and will steadily show improvement as time progresses.
It's not that bad, just expectations are high Mike . I had a rounds practice regarding the visuals and i'm still not totally happy yet, you guys where doing your first run together.

I'm actually not bothered about the quality of your microphone, but if you want i'll buy you one and send it over?

We do need to make sure each commentator is only recording a local copy of their voice though, but that is easily done if you know how. (Double click speaker icon on taskbar, goto Options menu, select Properties. Click on Recording then OK, then select Microphone as the source (it's probably on Stereo Mix atm, or similar)).

Anyway let me know if you want me to get a microphone and send it over, it wont be the bees knees, but i'll find something half decent - or I can paypal you the money to buy one.
Yeah the quality of this mic. isn´t too good. It hasn´t a frequency band that is high enough. Sounds a little bit like it was on Phone (which is when I rememebr right around 150Hz - 3kHz or 4,5kHz don´t remember), so what it means is that higher frequencies are cut out and thus making the voice too deep.
Maybe he just has a deep and swarve voice ...
Only thing I noted in my head while watching it was the turn 1 start camera cutting away to onboard cams and other useless views where you don't get to see what happened. Typically when you watch racing on TV, there is one camera watching the entire first corner and it never cuts away to other views. Only later until a few laps have gone by, there could a replay of incidents or of how the start happened. You should try and do this, and also focus on a group of cars battling for a little while, rather than jump around so often. I know you want to get everyone in on the shots, but it is nice to follow a specific pack for a bit, then switch to another pack and see how they are doing. Plus, you should definitely setup a custom camera on the inside of the car in the passenger seat. Would add to the experience of watching, seeing the driver moving rather than just making everyone seem like "cars" so to speak.

Just work on cameras, fov angles (wider), and other style shots, and these will be even more enjoyable to watch.
Oh by the way. Teamspeak can work just fine if you use the 25k codec. And don't have one of the commentators recording you two. You need a third person recording so you don't have the record-overlapping of voices... but rather be able to hear each other talking at the same time with no problems. And the quality should sound just find if you use a better codec
I liked it very much. Agree on what Tweaker said about cameras but as a whole it was very good again. Only one thing "bothered" me slightly and that was the random (though rare) silent moments.

Firstly - thank you for the stunning broadcast, I was quite depressed when it was over! so I watched it again on the train. Then I watched it a third time when I got everyone over to watch it on the TV with various snacks, was good, they were all really impressed! And yes, he does have suave voice - so suave I had to turn my subwoofer down! lol.

I wouldn't worry about not getting every single person and incident in the video, what you've done there is really good and has far more action than a lot of other footage! The trouble with being a long way down the pack is, unless your faster than the person in front, it's not all that interesting, the racing isn't as close... look at Stupid Aguri in Formula1, when was the last time they were on screen and NOT CRASHING?

Secondly - you may want to look into a program called "Ventrilo".
http://www.ventrilo.com/

Having changed from TeamSpeak to Ventrilo while being park of a CounterStrike clan, I can honestly say it was like going from hearing someone on loudspeaker on their mobile in the london underground, to having them standing in the same room... something about that program makes sure your voice sounds as it normally does, and as such diss-ting-wishable (sp) from everyone else really clearly, and echo free.
The start is really hard to capture and still keep in time sync. I think next time I will do a pause and have a non time-synced camera setup especially for the start.

I'm not really sure on your other points Tweeker, I did record lots of custom cameras, including a passenger seat camera looking toward the drivers - although the race was so short and frantic the onboard shots didnt get used much, there just wasnt the opportunity.

The camera focal length, or fov, was constantly changing using all zoom speeds. I dont think I left a camera with a static fov once !

I will do my best to improve the starts though, and where possible I will use more of the onboard footage.
Excellant yet again
Really really nice!

STCC Round 2 Video
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG