The online racing simulator
Engine Damage?
(22 posts, started )
Engine Damage?
Ok, For example, when you damage your engine pretty bad in like the FXR. So you can barely move... If you put it into nutral, and floor it, the turbo boost will go all the way up... But if you have an undamaged engine, put it in nutral and floor it, it wont go all the way up... Odd? I dunno...
The engine damage is a kinda quirky, seems almost all the cars aren't very prone to getting it.

My friend who really loved S1 just got back into playing S2, and his main gripe about the new version is that the engine damage was gone. In S1 he really disliked the throttle blippers, and felt that you really should be required to lift off the throttle in most cases, especially when using the clutch manually. But.... now everyone is just flat-shifting and I really never see engine damage really.

In S1 it was nice, I loved it, you actually noticed the power difference. Now, in some cars you can get engine damage (only a select few) and I still can get fast times. I'd really like to see the engine damage back to the way it was before.
Quote from Tweaker :...
I'd really like to see the engine damage back to the way it was before.

Me too. And I'd like to see cooler damage.. Many friends said me that it isn't so realistic game when you can do heavy front crash and no engine damage..
Quote from Tweaker :The engine damage is a kinda quirky, seems almost all the cars aren't very prone to getting it.

My friend who really loved S1 just got back into playing S2, and his main gripe about the new version is that the engine damage was gone. In S1 he really disliked the throttle blippers, and felt that you really should be required to lift off the throttle in most cases, especially when using the clutch manually. But.... now everyone is just flat-shifting and I really never see engine damage really.

In S1 it was nice, I loved it, you actually noticed the power difference. Now, in some cars you can get engine damage (only a select few) and I still can get fast times. I'd really like to see the engine damage back to the way it was before.

There is no point in flat shifting. Its slower than letting off, changing gear then going back on the power.

Does any one have any videos about Heal and Toe braking (sorry to go off subject) as i would like to learn this skill!
Quote from marsden1002 :
Does any one have any videos about Heal and Toe braking (sorry to go off subject) as i would like to learn this skill!

Do you have a clutch pedal ? If you don't have a clutch it's pretty much pointless
Quote from marsden1002 :There is no point in flat shifting. Its slower than letting off, changing gear then going back on the power.

Not in S2 it's not. If you are against someone shifting down a backstraight who lifts, you will notice that car falling behind. Even when I compared drag times with many test runs, flatshifting always was faster for me. It depends on how fast you click the shift button too .
Flat shifting is faster in all cars in S2. In S1 it was faster too, but the only car that changed gear quickly enough not to get damage (no rev limiter) was the MRT5.
If you redline a real road car, does it suddenly splutter and loose power?
Well if it did then my ex, a carburetted 1400 would've been 6 feet under by the time I'd driven it for 3 months.
I redlined that car broken (it had no torque so to get it to go anywhere, it needed to be ripped... and I was 18).

No rev limiter, and I took that car (stupidly) to well over 7000RPM.
Official "red-line" started at 6000RPM for that car.

Still to this day, its got all the power it ever had.
#9 - Vain
Depends on the specific engine. Some engines have their red-line where the material will just no more accept endured usage at this rpm, others have the red-line where the engine begins to stutter.
There is nothing wrong with red-lining a 911 boxer motor. But a 944 engine will choke itself to death as soon as you cross the red line.

Vain
I'll state it again!

Revving an engine WITH NO LOAD is bad. Revving on the road, against the resistance of the road is not that bad, and is actually benficial to some components...
I'll add my 2 <unit of coined money> here. I don't like the fact that you can be going top speed in a high gear, and downshift like 2 gears down and the rev limiter will still somehow stop the revs from climbing. If I'm going 130mph in 5th gear and I downshift to 3rd, I want my engine to disintegrate into a pile of molten ash, dammit!

The rev limiter does nothing there. Not in real life. Not in LFS.
Quote from animosity :If you redline a real road car, does it suddenly splutter and loose power?
Well if it did then my ex, a carburetted 1400 would've been 6 feet under by the time I'd driven it for 3 months.
I redlined that car broken (it had no torque so to get it to go anywhere, it needed to be ripped... and I was 18).

Well a fairly new car would be ok after a while.... (after loads of redline abuse ), but that would take a long time.

But for instance, very old cars with mechanical problems already, would probably break on the first very hard redline, or would take a few times before the engine starts to crap on yah, heh. Happened to a really crappy Jeep of mine when offroading... tires lost grip in the mud, engine revved up really high... and that engine (which had originally been thrashed many times) sputtered really bad on the way home -- then kept dying when I tried to use it the next day. Somewhat of a similar thing happened to an old generation 2 rx-7 of mine when I let my brother use it for a few weeks :doh:. Cracked engine block and had to be repaired big time.

Now... some idea comes to mind right now. (kinda off topic, but nice to mention)
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=29217#post29217
Quote from animosity :If you redline a real road car, does it suddenly splutter and loose power?

A real road car will sputter and lose power if it has a rev limiter. They either cut the fuel of retard the ignition which makes them run poorly enough that they can't rev any higher.
Quote from Resound :A real road car will sputter and lose power if it has a rev limiter. They either cut the fuel of retard the ignition which makes them run poorly enough that they can't rev any higher.

mine pops and bangs (JDM impreza with quite a few engine mods)

2 weeks back i came off a roundabout and joined a massive long traffic jam, i stopped, checked the oncoming traffic and could see a few cars up ahead starting to turn around, so i went for the L337 6500 rpm drop the clutch donut, and buggerd the clutch

slipped like buggery and bounced it off the limiter a few times by mistake illepall

damm, another £400 lighter on the wallet for an uprated exedy clutch, old one has not been in 2 years and i had not done much drag racing with it either

bloody cars, i can remember when i was 17 and me and a mate went for a drive out, i had a nova sr with twin 40 carbs and a piper high lift cam

my mate had an mk2 astra with a 1.8 engine we fitted, he is "showing off" at the local woods, just revving the feck out of his engine, bouncing the valves illepall

lasted around 5 mins before it blew up PMSL
Quote from Sticky-Micky :mine pops and bangs (JDM impreza with quite a few engine mods)

2 weeks back i came off a roundabout and joined a massive long traffic jam, i stopped, checked the oncoming traffic and could see a few cars up ahead starting to turn around, so i went for the L337 6500 rpm drop the clutch donut, and buggerd the clutch

slipped like buggery and bounced it off the limiter a few times by mistake illepall

damm, another £400 lighter on the wallet for an uprated exedy clutch, old one has not been in 2 years and i had not done much drag racing with it either

bloody cars, i can remember when i was 17 and me and a mate went for a drive out, i had a nova sr with twin 40 carbs and a piper high lift cam

my mate had an mk2 astra with a 1.8 engine we fitted, he is "showing off" at the local woods, just revving the feck out of his engine, bouncing the valves illepall

lasted around 5 mins before it blew up PMSL

you do like the old vaux dont you m8 mine is 2000cc with an 8 valve, high compression pistons, piper 285 degree cam, k&n lol, upped fuel pressure, silly small engine gearbox from a 1400 but goes like stink, it gives lancers a run for there money. i do luv the old rev limiter though bang bang bang she goes when spinning in second gear lol. luv it.
memory is a bit murky but......
is that the f13 gearbox? or was it the f10 gearbox
It so rarely happens (engine damage) i had some what forgotten about engine damage at all
Quote from Sticky-Micky :memory is a bit murky but......
is that the f13 gearbox? or was it the f10 gearbox

it has the F13 lol
Quote from marsden1002 :There is no point in flat shifting. Its slower than letting off, changing gear then going back on the power.

did you ever even bother to check if flat shifting was faster than lifting off? flatshifting is faster...
you can see some heal-toeing in this vid. its nothing special and its easy to learn.
http://video.google.com/videop ... 6375019&q=drift+bible
DOes anyone else do this? Let's say I am in 5th gear coming to a corner that is a 2 gear downshift. In settings, I have it set up so there is throttle blip. So....I brake for the corner. Depending on the car, I let the RPMS go down to a certain point, then downshift so it rev's to just about redline. Then I do the same for the next gear. Its the same thing I do with my real car IRL. Now, I see some really fast people just tear ass through the gears; like they go three gears in one second. In LFS, is that faster? I figured it would A)do damage to the virtual engine and B)cause instabilty of the wheels.
it dependsdepends. The higher the revs, the greater the engine braking. it depends on the corner and gear ratios and lsd/wing.

sometimes its better to be using 50% throttle in 3rd gear than 90% throttle in 4th gear. sometimes the other way around. When trying to pass someone or defend, i will sometimes go one gear lower than usual, since i will be slower anyways from defending/attacking. the increased engine response from being in the lower gear will help me exit the corner quicker. this is all relative..

this also depends on your lsd. its all about staying in the powerband and getting around the track as quickly as possible.

i feel like i just gave away one of my secret techniques... i guess are these things common knowledge on lfs?

Engine Damage?
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG