The online racing simulator
Racing Commentary
(1 post, started )
Racing Commentary
With so many leagues up and actually producing broadcasts which are remarkably good (shameless STCC plug www.simtouringcarcup.com), I figured it was time for a commentary improvements suggestions thread.

(Nb. Please do not turn this into another thread for stopping James Allen from ruining formular one, if you wish to voice that opinion, please use this thread

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... ghlight=racing+commentary)

So, here are my suggestions, some of which apply to a lot of professional level commentary too come to think of it!

By the way, these are simply opinions, and as such I am hoping to get a feel for what exactly people want from a race commentary these days, i.e a debate, so I'm not going to blindly defend anything I've said. Also, yes, I would like to commentate for a league because I feel I know a lot about driving and motorsport, and I can put that accross in an interesting style, but, I might be wrong.

anyway!
  • The crucial part of passing on the longest straight comes at the exit of the corner beforehand, namely the exit speed, and is not simply a case of "getting the legs" on another driver, all the cars have EXACTLY the same torque and horsepower, and as such any gain is 100% driver skill. Also, we all know that's where most overtaking is going to happen. I don't need to know that every time they're half way down the straight.
  • Print a sheet of the cars, with driver names, skins they are using, and annotate on it before and during the race, umming and urring about who's just piled into the wall detracts from the action, especially when the viewer knows from looking already!
  • It's alright to get a bit excited about a stunning piece of driving, while it is important not to scream down the mic every time someone stuff's a third of a bonnet up the inside of a corner, someone blandly saying "that was a nice pass", when a driver has just got through a tiny gap in a technical section at speed without any contact at all is a bit of an "understatement".
  • I don't want to hear about "what you would have done", sounding like you're a better driver than they are is irratating, if you're really that much better, get on the track, it's not like it costs anything to enter a league here.... on the other hand, pointing out where one driver is excelling another and why is good, comparison and contrast is interesting.
  • I do want to hear about the technology behind what is happening, although that's probably more to do with being a geek than just being a complete nut for any kind of motorsport. "all that nursing the tyres earlier really pays off", or "a slighter softer rear anti roll bar might calm the oversteer out of that corner exit" is interesting if correct, but don't go overboard.

Racing Commentary
(1 post, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG