The online racing simulator
one step back ...
(166 posts, started )
Bigdaddy, those words aren't hard, they're just wrong.
I couldn't find anything relevent or pertinent in Big Daddy's words. It barely made any sense, and there's nothing to respond to. Besides, he's not reading.
He said he's not reading, this means he is reading even more :P

Anyways, more people don't make a game better or make the development quicker, specially at the end of a project.
S3 is another story.
Quote from Big Daddy :You can become a worker who is working so hard in his whole life before he will see that in his whole life he did nothing or very little achieved, or you can become a top manager, who succesfully used his talents positively...

in case you happen to read this despite your claim not to ... has it ever occured to you that not eveybody has the same set of values you have ?
Quote from Big Daddy :That step was sure to come. It is impossible to create the best racing sim just with 3 people. Sorry Scawen and the LFS Team to say this, is just my opionion, you can inteprate it the way you want.

I said the same thing one or two years ago. LFS has to get commercial. S1 was so great because it satisfied our needs of having a great sim. Graphical and other aspects were unimportant for us. Moving forward to S2 ended up in a self made barrier, you wanted to make the game to be an allrounder, not only great physics, but also better graphics and so on, just to get great valuations in gaming mags and to satisfy then needs for more gamers. But now 3 years later we are still waiting for S2. Yes it will defenately come out, but the train, the train for the big hit already left. When I saw the BMW Sauber in LFS I thought that it can only get better for LFS, but after that nothing really happened. That s not the way.

The train already left, but you can take the other (last) one train. To work for a publisher. Sure, LFS was thought to be a game, without any influences from a publisher, but there arent any much chances anymore for the game.

You can get the breaktrough in working for a publisher with a big team, or you can still develop a game that ends up in his own labyrinth, one that blends into a pale beige landscape.

You can become a worker who is working so hard in his whole life before he will see that in his whole life he did nothing or very little achieved, or you can become a top manager, who succesfully used his talents positively...

Sry for the hard words, that is just my opinion, it is NOT personally meant I respect your talents, that s why I even posted this here, I know that all other gamers will be against me, but dont waste your time of commenting my post for me, I wont look here anymore, I just visited the site by luck.

Good luck

Got to be joking me illepall Take the game to a publisher who will want to maximize the market as much as possible thus simplifying the game so 3 year olds with there keyboards can play with no disadvantage. Then the publisher will want lots of £sss for `taking the risk`.

When you walk into a games store you will see very few racing games so they obviously they aren't as popular as the other genres, especially on the PC. Now how is LFS going to fit in? Not very well.
Seems that he didn't understand that the thread title means one step back from LFS to Victor, and not one step back for LFS.
Quote from keiran :When you walk into a games store you will see very few racing games so they obviously they aren't as popular as the other genres, especially on the PC. Now how is LFS going to fit in? Not very well.

Add NOS, Lots of carbon parts, modding, tuning, and huge rims... Sell it to UBIsoft, and they'd make it compete with NFS:Carbon, and win.
Quote from Blackout :Seems that he didn't understand that the thread title means one step back from LFS to Victor, and not one step back for LFS.

Nah, I just think he prefers the idea of someone like SimBin feeding him a barely improved product with the same graphics and sound, having only tweaked about 5% of the physics engine and copied across netcode from another one of their titles and releasing this as a completely new title at the full product price every 2 years.

EDIT: Oh, and I think if anything, Scawen is leaving much more of a mark on the industry than any of the big companies and his name will go down in history (the history of sim-racing anyway).
I agree with Big Daddy, no matter how much I hate it.
Well me too. I mean the amount of features to be implemented/improved will just be increasing as LFS approaches S3 (however slowly that is) and for one programmer it will just be too much.
But don't you think that there is a difference between hiring e.g. another 3D artist or selling the whole game to a big publisher?
no more music?
Hi everybody, and Hi Victor
I don't have time to read the whole thread, so please forgive me if that's been asked before, but: what will happen with the music now? Victor made all the songs as far as i know, and although "feel the silence" and some others are unbeatable, i still wanted to get more and more new songs I know, it's a racing sim and real racers don't listen to music while they race, but i really enjoyed Victor's songs during the replays or AI training-sessions and without LFS, just listening to them while writing mails, surfing the net or driving around in my car.

So, will there be new songs coming from Victor? He says he wanted creative work, and creating a song is ...well ... creative work, i guess. Right?

But whatever you'll do, Victor - good luck and have fun!
Music is not at the top of the dev's list but I am sure it's in there somewhere.
Quote from Big Daddy :...

ever since s2 was realeased (and maybe already in the s1 days) lfs was at the top of its game without any serious competition in the eyes of most lfs fans
there are some runner ups atm which have a shot at giving sca(vi)er a run for their money but one of them turned out to be a damp squib and the other one is still far from being released let alone being as good and complete as lfs already is half way through its development (according to the version number anyway)
point is at its current slow pace lfs is still significantly ahead of the competition so unless somebody unexpectedly drops a bomb (racing legends 9cough9 9cough9) i think lfs is (slowly) heading into a very bright future (not bright as in cartoony dx9 shaders )
victor,come back soon, i will buy s2.

and also, well done, you do good work, well done !!!
A big salute to a big guy
Well, what can i say, been absent for some time, Real life has this things, im kinda stopped with the SIM Scene but this is the only place (apart from one other) i still keep an eye on. Sad news indeed for us, but maybe good ones for Vic, who knows

One Musketeer down, hope the other 2 can keep on bringing cyber joy to our lifes ( im sure they will )

Big, big luck in your future endeavours other then the almighty LFS VVV
Quote from Big Daddy :..........

So your basicly saying more people = the quicker LFS becomes completed.

But, they already have the biggest team ever..... every LFS racer out there

I'd rather it stay like this, this way everything is ironed out before release instead of getting patches afterwards (like BF2 and CSS) which can go good or bad. Also people are requesting things every day and a few of them are in the pipeline / already been done. Also, publishers are twats, EA being the biggest load of tosh.

Back OT: Good luck with whatever comes Victor. keep us posted.
I gotta agree on some points with Big Daddy..
The development of some really necessary things like sound and graphics is going really slow or not going at all.. I think that the HUGE amount of time was spent on the not so important stuff.. For example, this Vista bugs.. I mean, for god sake, the OS isn't even finished, and Scawen is doing fixes so Vista users can have the sound.. I mean, at least wait till the Vista gets final, than work on it.
Also the languages took a LONG time for Scawen to fix all the bugs, and even if i am totally amazed to have LFS in my language(i am one of the Serbian translators), i must say that Scawen spent a lot of time on that..
We don't even know what Eric is doing.. I mean, i really really expected better cockpits when S2 came out, but nothing happened. They are the same as they were in the S1 days. I did my XF dashboard in just one day, and it is already a huge improvement over the default one, and that is just 2D picture. I mean if i can do that for one day, what can Eric do and how litlle time it would take for him to do it... It's not like there are houndred cars..
Me, being the ubber LFS fan boy, can't turn my head when i hear how the cars sounds in other sims, or how the cockpits look..
Look what Yamakawa did... he managed to give LFS totally new dimension. I can not tell you how much more i am enjoing the LX6 now, or the FZR which i couldn't stand before, because it sounded ridicolous.. Now i'm not even sure was the synthetic sound the right way to go.. I'm thinking that the good idea would be if Scawen and Yamakawa could work together, to create the most realistic sounds in sim games, combining the Synthetic and real sounds, and i'm sure that Yamakawa would do it for free..
As for the graphic part, i have to say that it is unforgivable to have the same looking cockpits after 4 years of development. That one thing that would take Eric like one month tops! could totally transform LFS and give it much bigger imersion. If we at least knew if he is working on them... but nothing..
First of all. S2 Has never been released.
Second. Answering shit is a shit job Victor has endured
Third. 33% of the team is jumping ship...

Conclusions is easy to find if looking hard enough.

Congrats Victor!
First of all: Good Luck Victor in whatever you may be doing in future. Keep us informed.

About LFS development: I think one day the LFS guys will move on to something else when they feel they have spent enough time of their lives with LFS. Or they may even be caught by new sims that have more manpower and more resources but ATM I think iRacing are the only ones that may be able to do this.

Call me a fanboi but for me LFS has had better physics than any other game from 0.04K to S2U. That's over 4 years. Talented people have tried but they couldn't keep up the pace. So who knows how long this will go on?
It's quite frustrating, watching this thread and seeing people getting the false impression that Victor is disappearing over the hills and far away. It's simply not the case at all. Victor's taken ONE step back, away from the most mundane aspect of LFS - tech support.

Let's just be clear, here.. LFS is in no way in jeopardy as a result of Victor acknowledging that HIS part of S2's progress is at the point where he's twiddling his thumbs much of the time, and going round and round in circles with the same tech support questions the rest of the time.

The fact that Victor is ABLE to take ONE step back and hand over the tech support to Geraldine, and in so doing, open his days up for other adventures for a bit, is simply testament to a bloody good job, bloody well done.

Meanwhile, Scawen continues to do what Scawen does so well.. the software development. Anyone who's involved in the test patches must surely know that it's business as usual, at LFS, and development continues as normal.

So, PLEASE, guys.. see this for what it is. It's not the end of LFS, it's not even the end of an era, and it sure isn't the end of the world. Relax!
However, "no longer doing active web development" is a big blow to LFS. We always enjoyed new things that have come from Victor, and LFSW or any of the partner sites wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Victor. If he is no longer doing that... then that's a shame
I think the key word is "active".. LFSWorld is at the stage that ScaViEr intended S2 to be. We don't know what's planned for S3 as far as the websites are concerned. We only know snippets of what's coming in the sim, with some tantalizing words from both Scawen and Victor on the topic. I'm just saying it's daft to transpose what should be regarded as a positive state of play into some doom and gloom about the future of LFS. It's not a parallel that can be drawn.
But if Victor is just no longer doing the two things he was prioritized to do, then what else will he do? I understand the "active" part, as I know he will most likely be available if something goes wrong with some websites and/or something needs fixing/updating (like news). But any active development would mean he'd not be working on any new projects. Which is why I was kind of hoping to see a new LFSW, but that is a no-go I guess.

At least the manual was a good move, that is kind of a representation that Victor was getting tired of Tech Support, heheh.
I guess it's only fair that the devs draw the line SOMEwhere on what you get with S2. There has to be something to look forward to in S3

one step back ...
(166 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG